Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The ST16 / Typhoon H + firmware update problem.

Reaction score
I'm new at this forum as I just upgraded from the Mavic 2 Pro side where I was quite comfortable, having been DJI for a few years. My Typhoon H+ has my stopped cold. I apologize in advance for posting, what may be either an old subject, or in the wrong forum, but I'd really like some advice, which doesn't come easily from the Yuneec web site. They advertise 'chat' but never have anyone available and show a phone support, but you have to request a call back. After 3 days I gave up waiting. I successfully updated the software/firmware on the ST16, but when I looked at how to do the same for the drone and the C23 camera, it doesn't work the same, regardless of what the user manual suggested. When I go into setting on the ST16 and go to camera and then to update software, it makes me connect back to me wifi and then tells me there are no software updates available, I'm guessing because it's gone back to reading the ST16 and not the camera or the drone. I've gone to the Yuneec.com site and clicked on my model and downloads and the only think I see are manuals. There is no listing for firmware for either the camera or the drone. The YouTube video I watched showed the same screen, but with multiple downloads for both the camera and the drone. Is it possible there are no firmware updates? I find that hard to believe. Does the drone get direcly connected to the PC? Is the firmware downloaded to an SD card and then inserted into the camera or the drone? I'm actually hesitiant to fly this until I am satisfied I've carried out all the correct procedures. Once it's up, it's up. Thank you.

(Oh....as a little annoying side note, I discovered if I press the little mountain icon in the lower right of the ST16 main screen, it opens a video/photo gallery that I can't get out of. Delete and Edit are the only options and nothing I do clears the screen. There's a 'back' button of the Mavic 2 smart controller. Maybe there's one on this as well, but I can't find it. I had to shut down the ST16 to make it go away. I'd hate to think what would happen if I pressed that icon during flight). Thanks again.

To exit the pic/video preview screen, select the return arrow under the screen on the right side.

You must have a sd card in the camera to complete the firmware updates. They should have included that step in their update video:

Last edited:
Thank you, but that doesn't work. I've watched the video, several times, and everything is fine until I get to the part where I connect the camera. It finds the camera when I go back to the ... menu, click it, and go down to software updates, it does not automatically show the download screen and give me the update button. It wants to reconnect to wifi. It goes back to the wifi screen and makes me log back in to my wifi network, and once I've done that, I'm back to square 1. I click software updates and it tells me there are none because it's gone back to readiing the ST16 and not the camera or the drone. Oh, and there is an SD card in the camera. AND that little return arrow in the bottom right screen... thanks for that

As youcan see from the screenshot, There are updates listed for the C23 and the controller, but none for the drone of the gimbal, so am I missing those by not being able to have it update the camera or the drone? How do I find w the firmware version and how do I know it's the current one. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
"NO Updates Required" means just that.
From memory yours look current
Thank you. I appreciate that. I'm not sure what I'd be looking for in that list, but I saw nothing that specifically mentioned the gimbal or the drone and firmware updates for them are listed. That not being able to make either the camera or the drone window active active because the ST16 keeps going back and connecting to my wifi has me a little concerned. It just doesn't work like it does in the video. I keep trying it, and it keeps not working, and you know what Einstein said about the definition of insanity.

ST16 keeps going back and connecting to my wifi has me a little concerned.
I agree with @davemh. Everything looks up to date.
Use the return arrow to go into the Android system. Go to Settings, the wifi. Select your home router and the select Forget.
That should prevent the ST16 from trying to connect to your router. (Yeah, I know it's a pain.)

822 screen shot.jpg

I agree with @davemh. Everything looks up to date.
Use the return arrow to go into the Android system. Go to Settings, the wifi. Select your home router and the select Forget.
That should prevent the ST16 from trying to connect to your router. (Yeah, I know it's a pain.)

View attachment 19715
Okay, maybe I’m missing something. It needs my WiFi to connect to the yuneec servers to download the updates. So I’m telling it to forget the WiFi network. I click the WiFi icon, choose the camera, go back to the menu, choose software update and it goes looking for a WiFi connection to connect back to the yuneec servers. It then finds my WiFi again, loses the camera and tells me there are no updates. See where this is going?

You only need the home wifi connection to check for updates. Since it is updated now there is no reason to check it again unless you hear about another update. Perhaps you are accustomed to regular updates from DJI. On Yuneec aircraft they are somewhat rare and when they are available there is a lot of discussion. Updates on Yuneec aircraft are optional, not mandatory. It's the owners decision entirely.

Reactions: oldcaptainrusty
You only need the home wifi connection to check for updates. Since it is updated now there is no reason to check it again unless you hear about another update. Perhaps you are accustomed to regular updates from DJI. On Yuneec aircraft they are somewhat rare and when they are available there is a lot of discussion. Updates on Yuneec aircraft are optional, not mandatory. It's the owners decision entirely.
Thank you. I appreciate the info. What had me puzzled was, after watching the Video I was directed to, it didn't work for me as it did in that clip. Once I had updated the controller, and followed the instructions to then go into the menu again and choose the camera and then choose software updates, in the video, the update screen came up, he clicked it and a whole bunch of things happened from unzipping files to lights flashing on the drone and the camera gimbal, then a shut down of the controller... None of that happened with me. I had no files to copy onto an SD card and never put one in the drone. When I clicked the software upates, it imediately reconnected to my home wifi again and told me there were no software updates, because it was back looking at the ST16 and not the camera or the drone, both of which showed no info in the firmware section or other fields. You see why everything I'm hearing/reading vs. what I see not happening on my screen has me concerned about the health of this unit.

Reactions: nOtsog
I'm hearing/reading vs. what I see not happening on my screen has me concerned about the health of this unit.
I understand the confusion. That video was made right after the release of the H Plus and has never been updated. The most useful videos are created by members of this forum. Because firmware updates are rather uncommon there are very few videos that are accurate for the most current update. Each update seems to vary a bit regarding the hardware updated. i.e., the camera, gimbal, flight controller, st16. One or several may be part of an update.

There is a learning curve with the H Plus so it takes some time to get accustomed to the menus, modes and screens. We have all found this to be true even with a background in flying the H.

Thank you for that. It does make me feel a little more at ease. I have a long association with the DJI product line and still own three, so I am not a novice as far the inner workings. I was impressed with this unit and decided to incorporate it into my business. With it being out of the box new, I expected (as has been in every case with the DJI line) it would require firmware/software updates and the fact that it did so immediately on the controller, I expected it would do the same for the camera, gimbal and drone. When I saw there were updates yet mine was telling me none were available, I got a little itch that wouldn't go away. Five years ago I powered up a Phantom I and it required a software update that I thought had installed, only to realize, as soon as I started the props and my phone screeen started flashing weird messages, that the Phantom had lifted off by itself and just flew away. Never saw it again. So I have been diligent about firmware and software updates and making sure everything was in perfect working order before flying. I still have some concerns about this one. I'll tether it in the morning and see what happens when it's airborne.

I have been diligent about firmware and software updates and making sure everything was in perfect working order before flying. I still have some concerns about this one. I'll tether it in the morning and see what happens when it's airborne.
1. The most important point with the H Plus is making sure you have a good GPS fix (on the 1st flight of the day) before you launch. I never start the motors until I have at least 15 sats on the Plus and 10 on the controller. Make SURE the battery is locked. You will hear two clicks when pushing it in. The second click is the lock. The battery will be perfectly flush with the A/C shell. Don't lift the lock lever. It will unlock the battery.
2. Find the RC Monitor menu while waiting for satellite lock. Test the sticks to make sure they are smooth and return EXACTLY to zero. If not, don't fly. Your launch point should be an open grassy area with no concrete or steel.
3. Turn off OA (obstacle avoidance). Just stay away from trees, buildings and wires.
4. Select the home point: either the controller or the take off point. And set your return home altitude. It's a slider on the screen.
5. Don't use Sport mode until you can fly this bird well.
6. Keep both camera switches forward to align the camera forward.
7. When landing hold the left stick fully back until the motors stop.
8. Have fun.

You should be aware this aircraft is going to fly much different than your DJI models. It may take some time to get used to the controls.

Great. Thank you. It was way too windy to get any elevation, and it took forecer to calibrate the compass, I'm 100 yards away from any structure; and metal and no cell phone and it kept telling me to check for magnetic interference. I basically ignored it and went through the calibration process but it took more than one rotation on each step before the lights turned green and allowed me on to the next step. The video looked awesome on the screen, and was very smooth, but when I copied the video from the card to the PC, three of the videos wouldn't play at all. The bar across the bottom of the screen in Windows Media Player, just zoomed to the end as if there was nothing there, even though the file size was 1.2 gb. The third one opened but playback was clear but jerky. It jumped constantly. Is there a setting I'm missing for the video? I assume there are various resolutions. It may my video card can't handle the quality, although it's an ASUS Zenbook Pro, so I shouldn't think that would be the problem. I did convert the video from Yuneec's MP4 format into standard MP4 format maintaining video size and resolution and it played back fine after the conversion, so I'm not sure why that is. Again, is there some video setting I'm not finding?

What is on the ground? An old wooden fence or something else? I have seen fence wire buried in the ground where an old fence had fallen over.

That wasn't enough wind to seriously affect the Plus. It can handle a lot of wind.

Jerky video or a file that won't play is nearly always a shortcoming of the video card and/or pc ram. I generally record at 4k 24 or 25 fps. My video card plays that fine. It will not play at 60 fps.

I am using this video player and I'm happy with it. Free and it plays nearly every format in existence.

Reactions: AussieCate
Thanks. I downloaded that player and you're right. I played it perfectly... no jumps no gliches. As near as I can tell there wasn't anything metal within 100 feet for me, aside from the titanium plate in my skull and the various other insundry metal body repair parts the good doctors at Walter Reed deemed necessary to keep me mobile. I mean, I'm not robotic, but there's between 7 and 9 ounces attached to various bone joints. (I'm alot of fun to be behind at airport check in... or a federal courthouse.) So maybe it's me. Not sure how sensitive the H+ is, but my DJI stuff never reacted to me. Good. My drone is allergic to me. Wasn't much worried about the wind, but I was watching the light pattern. It's hard to distinguish flying in angle mode and flying in angle mode with GPS lock, and the user manual isn't all that good. But I do appreciate the help and advice. It gets easier the more familiar you get with the controls. It got to the point where I could control the Mavic and not even think about it. Never had to look down at the controller. You just know where everything is. The ST16 is twice the size of the smart controller with several more buttons, switches and up/down arrow controls. I'll get there. Thanks again.

Reactions: Steve Carr
but there's between 7 and 9 ounces attached to various bone joints
Ha....same here. Back room of Ace Hardware installs the budget parts. VA was out of stock.
The compass is indeed sensitive and it's not uncommon to get a warning during startup. I ignore that because of all the iron in the ground here. After it's over 20' in the air I never get the warnings. The aircraft won't take off in Angle mode if you don't have a good GPS lock.

Have you downloaded the member created H Plus manual? It's in the documents thread on the "How-to" section.

Somebody, during this long and arduous thread suggested I click the back arrow, close out the app, go into the wifi app, find my home network and 'forget it'. Never found that option. Found the list of networks, but no option to forget/delete any of them. Several times when turning on the drone, I'm noticing the camera light is not on. After several minutes, it's still not on. I go into the menu setting on st16, choose the wifi icon and it then either finds the camera and I click it and it connects, OR, it searches and errors out telling me no SSID found. Rebooting the drone usually brings it back, but I'm guessing that is not a standard function. Never had that happen on any DJI product, so I don't know what's causing that to happen. I just assumed when you turn on the controller and the drone they find each other and everything functions as it should. I keep finding too many little glitches that make me wonder if this thing is 100%. It's too bad. As you can see from the images below, I can stand in my back yard, take the drone up to 400 feet and do a 360 and this is what I'm looking at. And I've got an FAA UAS Enforcement Division chief 5 miles away. He checked my certificate and night time waiver, inspected my anti-colission lights and that was it. He also has a Typhoon H.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 36
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 28
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members