Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Speed/Cruise Control and Tilt Control on H520/ST16S

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've been looking into the controls on the ST16S. Looked at a video on Youtube which showed that the 'Tilt Mode' had two functionalities...

1. Angle Mode: in this mode, when adjusting the wheel at the back, the camera is moved to a specific angle
2. Velocity Mode: in this mode, the camera is moved at a specific velocity, controlled by the wheel at the back.

Mine doesn't do this. Granted the video I'm watching is the Typhoon H but I would really like this functionality. Is mine supposed to do it? I have three locations for the switch... the up and centre position seem to make no difference (the camera is in 'angle mode' described above). The lower position angles the camera up - which is great for underside inspections as I gather it was intended for.

Cheers

@DanWeston
when you change the gimbal control so that you can get positive angle (velocity mode) the control mechanism of the slider changes as to how it takes your input. In velocity mode the method of control moves to the centre of the slider and the gimbal moves proportionally faster in each direction from that centre point.
So if you gently move upward or downward from the centre you will find you can move the camera very slowly in to the positive angles or negative angles and then return to the centre to stop, the further you move from the centre the quicker the movement (i.e at velocity).
If you just leave the slider at the top when you move in to velocity mode it will interpret that as you wanting to move to the up most setting as fast as possible.
Let me know if that does not make sense.

Bob/Steve - thanks.

Dave - if I'm understanding you correctly then you're saying that when the camera is 'pointing up' then it acts as though it's in velocity mode? I'll try it out later today and come back to you. Cheers.

Thanks again Dave - it worked! Very happy with that. But am I right in saying that there is no difference in the centre and upper position?

Bob/Steve - if you're interested, what Dave says above is true... so it seems the H520 does have a velocity mode.

Sure... what I mean is that whether the 'tilt control switch' is in the centre or up position it has no affect on how the gimbal is controlled. I don't understand why there are three positions but only two variations in control... if that makes sense?

Sure... what I mean is that whether the 'tilt control switch' is in the centre or up position it has no affect on how the gimbal is controlled. I don't understand why there are three positions but only two variations in control... if that makes sense?
Gotcha, for some reason I thought you were talking about the slider, now I know which switch you mean. Yes it is a 3 position switch with only two functions, normal and velocity.

I see why - not that clear in the original post. Still happy to have the velocity control though.
Cheers Dave.

Reactions: Dave P
Maybe it's my fault and my problems with the English... let's say the "normal"mode, the camera facing forward. At 0 degrees of inclination.

Maybe it's my fault and my problems with the English... let's say the "normal"mode, the camera facing forward. At 0 degrees of inclination.
I think you are talking about the yaw button, we are talking about the tilt control button, the furthest button on the left

Not at all, my post #11 was to Dave. I didn't see yours until after.
As Dave's post above I think you're talking about yaw... I'm asking about tilt. Cheers.

No problem, the thing is that we understand each other and solve the doubts :)

Thanks for the input so far guys. I have another question on the controls so thought I'd post it here rather than start another thread...

Does the H520 have a 'cruise control'? And is this the same as a course lock? It would be great if I could get the drone moving in a smooth, straight line and just concentrate on controlling the camera (and maybe altitude).

I had the idea of using the trim controls to do this but not sure it will get to the desired speed.

Not really a cruise control mode that you could use in that way, you could possibly achieve this doing a waypoint mission, so set point A and Point B with a set cruising speed, however you will not be able to control the altitude, but you could refly and refly making changes until you have the speed, height and camera direction perfect for the shot you want to capture.

Cheers, Dave. If I take control of the camera during a mission will it interrupt it and stop?

To be honest I have not tried it yet as I have gone back to my other platform for video while I wait for a fix on the E90, I think maybe it might as any control action interrupts a mission but I would be interested to know for sure if you get a chance to try it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal