Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tornado 920 plus/ zippy 5000mah batteries

Wanted to get the Zippys (for price) but out of stock....These also fit in the compartment as a PAIR, - are there good batteries that will fit in the 920 (without mods) as a group of 3? Zippy 6s 5000.JPG...

Last edited:
None that I’ve found. The dimensional configuration was pretty much confined to Yuneec’s specifications.

Received the Gens ace 5000mAh 6S1P 22.2V 45C Lipo Battery Pack with EC5 Plug batteries acouple of days ago. They come with EC5 connectors and monster 8ga? lead cables. I did a trial fit and 2 of these just fit in the compartment without changing the box.

Wondering if anyone has opened up the 920+ and changed the EC3 male connectors on the board to EC5?

Just thought I'd ask before I shorten the leads and change the battery connectors to EC3......

Attachments

• IMG_1874.JPG
    IMG_1874.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 33
Takes a bit of work and customization to alter the airframe connectors. It can be done but the risk of a permanent failure error is much higher. Easier to change the battery connector.

Regarding those 8awg wires, which do you think handles current more efficiently, the Zippy’s with the heavier gauge or the Yuneec’s with smaller wire? When moving current, surface area matters.

It’s part of the reason a pair of 5000mA batteries provides as much (or more) flight time as 3 4000mA batteries.

Finished changing the EC3 connectors. The 10ga cable is hard to fit into the EC3's but its solid now. A very snug fit in the battery box too. Weather should be good for a test flight Sunday.....:)

Attachments

• IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 43
Be advised the plug on the left side of the picture is not well seated. It needs to be set a bit deeper to assure plug security in flight.

Looked like it was hanging out on the left side, but it could well be an optical illusion. In any case, enjoy your 920[emoji106]

Hobbyking has 5000mah 6s 25c zippies back in stock in USA. $47.54 each

45C is massive over kill and adds a lot of unnecessary battery weight. Stock batteries are 8C, the highest C rating needed tops out at 20C to 25C.

Actually using the 2 GensAce 5000mah 45C batteries is less weight than the 3 stock 4000mah 8c batteries which are under powered and most (at least mine were DOA when new) are depleted out of the box....
Gens Ace 715g x 2 = 1430g
Yuneec 489g x 3 = 1467g

Reactions: Stefano Zanandrea
You’re totally missing the point. Using an excessive C rating battery gains you nothing. The higher the C rating the higher the battery weight. Carrying more weight than absolutely necessary reduces flight time. Useless weight also causes the motors to work harder than they would with a lower weight aircraft. Having to work less hard reduces system heat generation and extends system longevity.

Personally, I really don’t care if you use a 30-50-or even a 100C battery, it’s your aircraft to equip and use however you want. I’m only trying to show you how to get the most out of it for the longest period of time.

I’ve led the horse to the water. From here on it’s up to the horse.

Not missing the point at all - I agree that to carry unneccesary extra weight is a disadvantage. All I said was I am actually carrying LESS weight than flying with the STOCK 3 batteries. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Li