Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tornado 920 plus/ zippy 5000mah batteries

Reaction score
Ok guys hobby king usa has hippies on stock and from the Feb 1st till 4th 20% off site wide so 2 5000mah puppies would be $97.00
Use promo code GAMEON

Its just to let those who use them .I use them and have had no issues so its personal preference use them or don't.

These batteries are the worst. Would not recommand using them in a drone like the Tornado...

Some of us would argue Yuneec batteries are the worst, and be doing so from experience.

So exactly what would you use? Those of us that have looked hard for alternative batteries and spent time and money testing different batteries really want to know.

Your answer should not only provide a brand name, but also reference batteries that will fit a 920, of suitable weight, while possessing adequate capacities.

Reactions: thoneter
Sorry for type o s auto correct doesn't like me zippies not hippies or puppies were meant to be offered by this post

There are several of us 920 owners using Zippy 5000’s. Are they the best battery money can buy? Absolutely, but they do just happen to be one of only a few batteries available that permit us to fly without significant alteration of the aircraft.

I’m curious as to whether or not the person deriding Zippy batteries even owns a 920 in order to have an understanding of the trials and tribulations 920 owners have to contend with.

PatR. When I went that way I haven't even pulled my yuneec tornado stock batteries out to fly with them .I balance and stored them they just don't have the flight times the zippies give and even better with the cgo3+ on it.thanks to you guy's for buying and trying different batteries so you could share the information to give tornado 920 + owners a better option for longer flights.

Zippy compact 6S, 25C, 5000mA. You can fit a pair in the battery bay. You must use two, never just one. Peruse the 920 forum for a very complete “how to” and performance review.

Some of us would argue Yuneec batteries are the worst, and be doing so from experience.

You are right but in my experience the Turniy, Turnigy Nano Tech and Zippys are not any better. I barely crashed one of my helicopters due to a LiPo battery failing midair. Flight time was about 40s with a brand new and fully charged battery.I pulled a sharp turn and the voltage dropped from about 11.8V to less than 7V. RPM dropped severly and I barely managed to land safely. Afterwards I started investigating what happended and noticed that one of the cells failed entirely while the others where still perfectly fine.

Furthermore these batteries tend to become fat very quickly and lose capacity in a rapid manner. I know a lot of people who made similar experiences which made us decide not to buy any of these batteries ever again.

Since most of you are located in the US and other countries it is quiet hard for me to recommand any batteries. In Germany there are batteries made by a company called MyLiPo. They even have a battery special made for the H920. I did not try this specific battery but all the others I tested are great. Another very good battery is the 4000mAh 6S 15C battery made by Tattu. It is a perfect replacement for the original ones. GensAce has some more good batteries which fit the H920 but only two at a time. Another good source in Germany is SLS (Stefans LiPo Shop). They do also have good batteries for the H920.

I do appreciate that you are informing us about offers like this, but I have had very bad experiences with several Hobbyking batteries as well as their service. I even had to use PayPal once in order to get my money back after they did not manage to cancel an order which has not even been shipped out after two weeks. They told me canceling the order is not possible anymore. Somehow they were able to cancle it within 30 minutes after I opened a PayPal conflict case.

The GensAce/Tattu 920 batteries are not available in the U.S. and according to GensTattu never will be. Nor will they gear up to make any. Several of us have asked.

I can give a strong recommendation for Dinogy Lipos. He is a long time RC guy and works directly with his supplier and has very high quality packs at a reasonable cost.

Home of Dinogylipos

Not sure if they have anything specific for the 920, but overall they make a great lipo.

I can give a strong recommendation for Dinogy Lipos. He is a long time RC guy and works directly with his supplier and has very high quality packs at a reasonable cost.

Home of Dinogylipos

Not sure if they have anything specific for the 920, but overall they make a great lipo.

920 owners only need to be able to fit at least two batteries inside the battery well. Capacity of course matters and a minimum total capacity of 8000mA should be considered.

A single 8000mA battery could be used but that is high risk for a couple reasons. One is because it becomes a single point of failure that can down the aircraft. The second is because the 920 employs EC3 power plugs which are rated at only 30A. A 920 draws a minimum of 75A at take off power, which is more than double the maximum rating of any single power plug in the aircraft.

Something I have observed is that when performing bench testing using only a single 4000mA battery is the 920 will not conduct camera operations or arm the motors due to limited power availability.

Using the info above, people can determine for themselves what battery or combination of batteries they desire to use. If they lack the ability to perform research, lack personal creativity, or depend on Yuneec to provide for their needs they will eventually end up parking their 920 on a shelf, something that does not need to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaedrus
Ik have been using these Zippy's for over a year now, and they are perfect. With the CGO4 about 20 minutes of flight time, and with the CGO3+ almost 30 minutes.

The GensAce/Tattu 920 batteries are not available in the U.S. and according to GensTattu never will be. Nor will they gear up to make any. Several of us have asked.
I was on their website yesterday looking for alternative 920 batteries... found this one, which will fit in the existing compartment as a pair - and they ship to USA & Canada...GensAce.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apalomba