Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Trouble with RTH - not ascending to predetermined altitude?

Reaction score
Hi

recently when I was doing a test flight I experienced a strange problem. I was testing the new FW, trying to do some waypoints and ROI. I finished with that and I might have had a very short flight plan (4 waypoints and 2 ROIs), but at that point I was testing something else (return to controller) so I'm not sure. First I wanted to try regular RTH So I set the RTH alt to 40 m and flipped the switch to RTH. Copter was at 8 meters agl and started flying straight towards home, not ascending at all. I retried it two more times, setting a different RTH altitude each time and double checking if the setting was saved in the menu, but each time the copter would go straight towards home point. It was clear that the trajectory is not slanted, the copter maintained the 8 meters agl for some time until i switched back to angle mode.

Without landing I went to the mission planning menu and cleared all mission data from the copter. RTH worked properly after that. Return to controller also worked fine and I had no further problems. Does anyone know where the problem could have come from? Could it have been connected with some mission settings?

Reactions: BigAl07
Some of the last update, put it in the thread of the last update please, so we all know that it can be a problem of that update, or an improvement, whatever.

Sometimes when the H520 is very close to the home, it can act that way. That you delete the missions and no longer do it, in case it is at the same distance from the home that on previous occasions........... is something not normal and to be taken into account.

We'll have to run tests.

Hi

recently when I was doing a test flight I experienced a strange problem. I was testing the new FW, trying to do some waypoints and ROI. I finished with that and I might have had a very short flight plan (4 waypoints and 2 ROIs), but at that point I was testing something else (return to controller) so I'm not sure. First I wanted to try regular RTH So I set the RTH alt to 40 m and flipped the switch to RTH. Copter was at 8 meters agl and started flying straight towards home, not ascending at all. I retried it two more times, setting a different RTH altitude each time and double checking if the setting was saved in the menu, but each time the copter would go straight towards home point. It was clear that the trajectory is not slanted, the copter maintained the 8 meters agl for some time until i switched back to angle mode.

Without landing I went to the mission planning menu and cleared all mission data from the copter. RTH worked properly after that. Return to controller also worked fine and I had no further problems. Does anyone know where the problem could have come from? Could it have been connected with some mission settings?

DC,

Have you tested resetting your RTH prior to H520 power up and flight? Curious if that might be the "better way".

I am leary of adjusting any of those "safety" parameters while in flight. That's all I'm saying.

Jeff

@arruntus I know, but in this case the copter was about 300m from the home point.

@NorWiscPilot no, I usually do it before takeoff or in flight. I actually prefer to do it in flight because usually when I fly in a new space, the first thing I do is verifying at what barometer altitude the copter will be above all obstacles. That is, I ascend, look around with the camera to verify if all obstacles are below me. I add 10 meters to that altitude and the resulting altitude will be my RTH altitude.

Reactions: arruntus
It seems that with new Return to GS function it is absolutelly necessary to switch Return to Takeoff <> Return to GS before flight. DataPilot don't remember last settings unlike the h520. Also I have weird situation with Return to GS after mission when landing gears didn't release.

@arruntus I know, but in this case the copter was about 300m from the home point.

Something's wrong.......

It seems that with new Return to GS function it is absolutelly necessary to switch Return to Takeoff <> Return to GS before flight. DataPilot don't remember last settings unlike the h520. Also I have weird situation with Return to GS after mission when landing gears didn't release.

The two types of RT are set in the options. Do you mean that if you change from RTL to RTGS you have to activate before flying the RT stick to save the setting?

Don't deploy the landing gear on RTGS has happened to you more than once? Has RTL worked correctly for you?

Always if i set RTGS, and power off H520 and DataPilot, after restart of both DataPilot shows in settings RT but H520 in flight do RTGS.

Problem with gear happened in situation where H520 returns from mission with RTGS but when Datapilot still showing RT. I must change mode to angle and manually release gear. After next start with the same mission problem repeated. Now i always reset RT<>RTGS in settings and everything is fine.

Reactions: arruntus
Always if i set RTGS, and power off H520 and DataPilot, after restart of both DataPilot shows in settings RT but H520 in flight do RTGS.

Problem with gear happened in situation where H520 returns from mission with RTGS but when Datapilot still showing RT. I must change mode to angle and manually release gear. After next start with the same mission problem repeated. Now i always reset RT<>RTGS in settings and everything is fine.

So what may be is that the ST16S is not able to read the parameter correctly but that it is stored correctly in the H520???

Understood the correction procedure, thx. Anyway new versions have just come out, it will be a question of testing again because anyway these things are already solved.

I changed from Return to Launch to Return to Ground Station in flight and it worked at the first try.

Change in flight work great also for me, problem is diferent, like I described in second post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval