Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typh. H + Bugger Of A Landing Gear Issue

OK. Brought drone into the house and sat it upside down on the kitchen table to see if I could get the camera off. In the process, I accidentally pushed the power button on and after the drone booted-up, before I turned it off, the landing gear mechanism activated and lowered itself.

So is it the consensus here that the drone seldom needs calibrating and under what circumstances is it warranted?

Also, do I always need to remove the camera before doing so?

Is the procedure (as I think I am getting here) to start the calibration in the controller first, go to the drone and remove the camera and then to calibrate the drone? I need clarification please, so this doesn't happen again. Thanks.

This is such a new aircraft that some of your questions will not have definite answers yet - in my opinion. I typically do not travel many miles from my location but as an example one of our members purchased a Plus here in the states, got it calibrated and working then proceeded to travel to Iceland for a month long trip and has operated without issue from the compass . . . . As I mentioned above I got my 480 over a year and a half ago, got it calibrated - never updated and have flown nearly 300 uneventful flights. But with the Plus it is a whole new ball game and we are now re-learning this new system.

Thank you guys for the assistance. I did figure-out the camera removal and it's as easy as you said. I'd still appreciate knowing when I need to calibrate. Thanks in advance. Since I'm scheduled for a 15 min. chat with a tech tomorrow. I can just ask them these questions and be good to go. I'll understand if no one wants to clarify the calibration/camera thing, especially this late in the eveing.

Many of your compass calibration answers are in this thread:

Typhoon H Calibrations

Mostly when you cross over one of the red or blue lines to another zone.

Attachments

• Magnetic-Declination-Map-Continental-US-P.jpg
    Magnetic-Declination-Map-Continental-US-P.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 20
It's best to remove the camera before doing the cal. Most likely you will only need to do it once unless you get a warning that it needs a compass cal. Even with the warning pop up, I've noticed that moving the H 50' to a different spot will stop the warning on a reboot.

Is the procedure (as I think I am getting here) to start the calibration in the controller first, go to the drone and remove the camera and then to calibrate the drone? I need clarification please, so this doesn't happen again. Thanks.
With the H, if you start the calibration with the controller then remove the camera you are likely to be timed out since the H only allows a limited amount of time to complete the calibration. With the H, then, remove the camera first before initialising the calibration.

With the Plus, if you want to remove the camera ( I do not want the camera on during this calibration) yes, you must Start the procedure in the controller first; then remove the camera and proceed. So far there has not been a time out issue like with the 480

With the H, if you start the calibration with the controller then remove the camera you are likely to be timed out since the H only allows a limited amount of time to complete the calibration. With the H, then, remove the camera first before initialising the calibration.

Yes, I wondered about that. Thanks.

A while back I asked Yuneec about the compass calibration thing and they said 30-50km. In case of H520 the manual says without doubt - 8km.

As for removing the camera for caibration... I used to think that too. But now I think camera should be left on the copter, because the gimbal has a lot of metal parts and magnets - and has its own magnetic field. If we calibrate without it, then installing the gimbal would introduce a change in the magnetic field, the FC might go bonkers now knowing what happened.

Reactions: FlushVision
A while back I asked Yuneec about the compass calibration thing and they said 30-50km. In case of H520 the manual says without doubt - 8km.

As for removing the camera for caibration... I used to think that too. But now I think camera should be left on the copter, because the gimbal has a lot of metal parts and magnets - and has its own magnetic field. If we calibrate without it, then installing the gimbal would introduce a change in the magnetic field, the FC might go bonkers now knowing what happened.
I'm in the habit of leaving the camera on for calibration too, for that very same reason.

YUNEEC has a calibration video, They have the camera on it. so it must not be a problem. I just traveled across the country and flew it almost twice every day. I traveled 400 miles every day and only calibrated it when I had time to do so. I never had any problems, but that is a very bad practice. I highly recommend calibrating when you travel more than 200 miles from the last spot you did a calibration. Only once did it tell me to do a calibration, I didn't have time to do it, So I disabled gps for that flight. But I did calibrate as soon as I had a moment.

@Mr. I so you have a Plus and have done the 0801 update but did not get the gimbal shakes and buzzing? Just trying to get a count of those of us who did not have problems with the new update. Thanks.

If people feel a need to know how well their gimbals deal with extreme angles all they have to do is turn a powered up aircraft upside down and watch the gimbal for a minute or so. It should quickly become obvious the gimbal is having difficulty dealing with the position. They put roll and tilt stops in them to help prevent the actuators from being damaged.

They also have the opportunity to perform a Google search to learn more about gimbals, gyros, accelerometers, and servo motor actuators.

@Ty Pilot, I bought my drone in march. I haven't updated my drone yet. I almost did because I couldn't connect to my camera, but i fixed the problem moments before I started the update. Do you not recommend doing the update ?

YUNEEC has a calibration video, They have the camera on it. so it must not be a problem. I just traveled across the country and flew it almost twice every day. I traveled 400 miles every day and only calibrated it when I had time to do so. I never had any problems, but that is a very bad practice. I highly recommend calibrating when you travel more than 200 miles from the last spot you did a calibration. Only once did it tell me to do a calibration, I didn't have time to do it, So I disabled gps for that flight. But I did calibrate as soon as I had a moment.

Yes, I had a conversation with a CS at Yuneec (recently about this) and told him they had a video up on YT that showed calibration with the camera on. His response (in his script probably) was that, "Yes, it can be done, but personally I wouldn't recommend it because it needlessly taxes the gimble workings." (The same reasons others here have pointed-out.) The Yuneec CS said pretty much what you did here and that the drone should prompt you if it's needed because you've traveled some distance away from the previous calibration location.

@Ty Pilot, I bought my drone in march. I haven't updated my drone yet. I almost did because I couldn't connect to my camera, but i fixed the problem moments before I started the update. Do you not recommend doing the update ?

Okay, you have a standard Typhoon H, not a Plus. These are totally different platforms, the standard H (yours) will have the latest update from Yuneec since they haven't updated it beyond the last which was last year. When you said you turned GPS off, I was curious because on the Plus this was not available until the 0801 update but it has been available on the standard H for over a year and a half.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt