Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon 500 with Rakon frame problem

Reaction score
Used a Rakon frame to rebuild a Typhoon G, can not achieve to control it while flying, goes to the right or left by itself without control from the ST10. As this is my second frame, got advice from this forum in how to locate the compass and have successfully fly the first Rakon.
The only difference with this second Rakon is the landing gear that I use the original Yuneec legs. I have been moving the compass to different places in the landing gear, also change a new one compass trying to find the problem. On the GUI everything appears OK : GPS, ESC, Motors all green. Since I am using the parts from a crashed Q500 it is possible ??? that the control board is damaged, or the landing gear could be the problem ?

The first thing to check is the hardware monitor on your controller to ensure the stick readings are steady when the sticks are not being moved.

Otherwise, what you are describing can be a symptom of a bad IMU on the drone mainboard. They are hard to find. And hard to replace without some tools not normally available to the average person. Not impossible. But pretty close to it.
This thread has some very good discussion about replacing the IMU.

I would start to check motor assignement in GUI and sensor behaviour. Also it would be good to have a look on the flight logs from one of the flights with strange behaviour.

I still think about the compass. Is it mounted in the right direction, away from wires with hight current? Did you use brass or copper screws for mounting? Can we see a picture, compass in detail and overview where it is?

br HE

On the Controller Sticks, notice that right stick J4 do not return to 0 but 3, do not move by itself, all other are OK.
Checked the motor assignment and front B motor was not in the right order, verified the esc and motor wiring, did the assignment again and now are good, this could be the problem. Attached is a picture of the compass location, the screw is steel, I am going to glue it instead.
Thank you both for your advice and help, will try to have it in the air again 🤞, anyway the Rakon frame is more resistant and can be repaired. (The MK58 was not connected to power on the flight test)
IMG_20220411_203457379.jpgIMG_20220411_203457379.jpg

Reactions: WTFDproject
On the Controller Sticks, notice that right stick J4 do not return to 0 but 3, do not move by itself, all other are OK.
Checked the motor assignment and front B motor was not in the right order.
The motor was probably the big problem, but you need to clean the stick pots. They don't act the same every time when they have corrosion, and any corrosion is always a problem. Either "now" or "soon". See this article by @DoomMeister. ST10 pots are the same as ST16.
Control Stick Gimbal Maintenance

I would start to check motor assignement in GUI and sensor behaviour. Also it would be good to have a look on the flight logs from one of the flights with strange behaviour.
From what I understand, the drone is flying but not in a very controlled way. If the motors are mixed up, the controller would not be able to stabilize the aircraft at all. I would wonder if it manages to reach more than a few centimetres of height before flipping over. Therefore I do not think it is anything related to the motors.

I know it is a little older Thread, and indon‘t know if you solved your problem until now.

I reworked also my Q500 after a 80m Skydrop with a Carbon Frame. The original Q500 Copterframe was completely crashed, but the Electronic appears to be good so far.

I did the mistake first time to Stick the Compass module 180 deg. rotated and forgot it, to realign it after finished the mounting.
The yuneec Software give me green lights, so i wasn‘t able to see my buildfail before in the Yuneec Software.
All was green highlighted, so i believed the Software for a first Testflight.
A big fail what i have learned.

It lifts quick and at about of 8-10 meters height it flips to a side and run with full throttle without any control into a Tree..
No stick movements shows any reaction either way.
Mabe you have exact the same issue.

After i found my mistake and corrected it it flies as it should, with few other minor problems, i investigate actually.

Reactions: h-elsner
Thank you very much for your input. last time I flew the Rakon have the same issue.
With the the GUI connected moved the compass several times looking to match the direction according to the GUI compass drone figure. Do not have fly tested if it is OK now.
After your post would like to check again if I locate the compass in the correct position, could you please post a picture of the compass position in your drone ? Thank you again.

Here are the Pics, but i think our copters differs.

I used a Q500 4K as Basis, but i believe there was a different original mount.
I may remember you talked about an G Modell.

50D1A127-5D43-4C85-A78D-A5FA75263C9B.jpeg
A wider view from the Compass chip what is in the Front
(Right side in the Picture)

F576931F-7975-4AEA-8C3B-BF8C73066EEB.jpeg

and a closer View directly onto the Chip...

I hope that helps.

I am using a Rakon Heli Frame, the position of the compass using the OEM mount in this frame is with the chip pointing down, I understand that is like having the compass with a 180º difference. Looking your pictures I moved the compass using the optional Rakon mount to get the chip in the same position as yours.
Appreciate your help and hope this is all the problem with this bird, Thank you for the pictures, best way to figure out.

Compass orientation (valid for Q500 and Blade 350QX):
  • PCB vertical,
  • component (chip) side of the PCB to the right side of the drone,
  • connector towards front of the drone.
Keep it away from magnetic parts and wiring with high current (wires to battery or motors).

br HE

Reactions: Schteffl
I believe h-elsner is right.

Don‘t look at the chip mount they differs definitively, look closer at the Chip itself and the connector on the PCB.

That was the reason i did this improved Picture.
I be shure that solves you problem

This is the compass position

Attachments

• IMG_20220815_173216160_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220815_173216160_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
These are better pics, now you are able to see the plug pointing front, used hot glue to aligne the mount to be 90º
Any other observation is welcomed. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20220816_105254188_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220816_105254188_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220816_105159683_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220816_105159683_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members