Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Camera 100 mbps?

Yes, inter-frame GOP compression does work like that. You have a chain of one independent frame that encodes the entire picture, followed by partial frames that encode only the differences from the previous frame. This sequences repeats and defines the GOP length.

If the changes from one frame to the next are small, it is quite possible for the codec not to need the target bitrate -- all the cameras we are concerned with in this thread use variable bitrate codecs, and the target bitrate is a maximum.

Try encoding 30-seconds of some random video using variable bitrate with AVC/MPEG4/H.264, then repeat by using a color matte. It is an extreme example because the image is static, but it demonstrates that the complexity of the scene (or lack thereof) affects the actual bitrate.

Do you think doubling the target bitrate will give you a file twice the size? Do you think it will improve the quality?

It's quite obvious where DerStig's allegiance lies. Thus far his efforts appear to be directed towards disparaging the H and its camera while subtly promoting DJI. A wolf remains a wolf no matter the disguise.

No subtltie
LOL. it looks like a typical CGO3+ image. relatively sharp in the center while not sharp on the outer thirds, low dynamic range, white balance issues in the shadows and suffers from long GOP motion artifacts. Shoot it with a gopro and it will be a noticeable improvement

ROFLMAO

I posted that same video in another thread. It's actually from my P4. I changed the title from DJI to YUN.

All the other videos posted on my Vimeo page are from the H, warts and all. Thanks for your "objective" analysis, and especially for taking the bait.

So are you now saying a GP is superior to DJI? Oh the humanity.

The DJI folks at RCG pounded home on a daily basis how much better the P3/P4 is than the GP. Now you're saying the GP is noticeably better than the P4?

Glider,

Send (PM) me a link to your Vimeo page please.

As for DerStig, he's about as transparent as a back-lit gossamer skirt. Lots of claims about accomplishments and advisory roles but no credits or anything else to substantiate in support. Just another YouTube imagery expert wannabe type.

One thing I get a kick out of is all the people that have to dissect every pixel in order to make themselves feel superior. If the people the imagery was intended for are happy, all that was desired was accomplished. You don't need a "grade" from those you don't know people. You know what looks good and what doesn't without their "help".

Last edited:
That's interesting i'm no pixel pro. My professional experience with cameras reflects better performance with increased bitrate.I started with panasonic GH2's.. The GH2 shooting at it's native bitrate versus the same camera using hacked software to increase bitrate shows a very noticeable diffeence. Especially where there is movement. Running water etc....

This is an old sample and I now shoot my events with GH4's but this illustrates what I'm talking about.

What a few of us are saying is that, given the resolving power of the lens and small sensor and the typical scene shot with a Typhoon, adding 'more bits' won't create more detail. The encoder is running well within it's limits and showing very few, if any artifacts ('macroblocking') as a result. No one has shown a video here that demonstrates codec issues (despite a lot of shouting). Looking at the output, changing GOP rates wouldn't make a qualitative difference to the video unless you plan to film in a nightclub.

That's not to say the camera is without fault - the default white balance is perversely the weakest of all the built in settings, the manual exposure control is clunky (as much a UI problem as anything) and the 'auto everything' mode is not as smart as the market leader. That makes for a steep learning curve if you expect to throw a camera into the sky and get National Geographic photos. Would increasing the bitrate change that? No.

No subtltie

ROFLMAO

I posted that same video in another thread. It's actually from my P4. I changed the title from DJI to YUN.

All the other videos posted on my Vimeo page are from the H, warts and all. Thanks for your "objective" analysis, and especially for taking the bait.

The DJI folks at RCG pounded home on a daily basis how much better the P3/P4 is than the GP. Now you're saying the GP is noticeably better than the P4?

Hahaha, Nice one!!!

No subtltie

ROFLMAO

This did make me laugh. Wished you would have done the same on the RCG threads LOL.

What I am saying is that if the codec isn't requiring the full 50 Mbps available to encode the video, then giving it 100 Mbps isn't going to improve the quality.
Ok this i understand and makes more sense.

Ok this i understand and makes more sense.

Only it's not the codec that determines the Data rate it's the speed of the processor the bit rate limit in the processors firmware and the data pipe line. The Codec (COmpressor/DECompressor) has no idea how much data is there and it doesn't care, its only job is to reduce it. Compressors work by throwing information out and when you start with a 8bit 4:2:0 color space what you throw away becomes very important unfortunately Yuneec employed Mr. Magoo to supervise the camera project

Hey Swags, I’m an independent filmmaker and I bought the Typhoon H as my first drone to get aerial footage for my short films. A big concern I had when deciding which drone to buy was how much data each video file would have, and I was excited to see that Yuneec’s website said the video would be at 100MB.

I’ve done a lot of testing with the CGO3+ camera (with a 95 MB/s micro SD card) and I’ve found that the highest bit rate the camera can produce is 50mbps, which is not far off from the Phantom 4 which does 60mbps. Still though this is half of what they advertised, which is unfortunate on Yuneec’s part. But the caveat to this is that the camera will produce footage at different bit rates (some as low as 14mbps) if the profile and resolution settings are changed during flight.

I’ve had the most luck getting that “cinematic” type look when shooting at a resolution of 3840 x 2160 at 24fps in the RAW profile. Also I use an ND filter to get the right exposure while still maintaining a shutter speed of 50. When using these settings the actual footage right out of the camera doesn’t look all that great, but if you were able to color correct and color grade the footage in post-production, you could definitely get images that look just as good, if not better, than the Phantom 4.

I’m currently working on a video to post on my YouTube channel that features CGO3+ camera footage (along with footage from my other camera), and even though I still have editing and further color grading to do, I went ahead and posted an unlisted short sample video from this project.

Here is the YouTube video: (watch in 4K for best results)

Also, here are two screenshots from this video that show what the footage looks like right out of the camera, and then what it looks like when color graded in post-production.

Original Screenshot:

View attachment 1473

Color Graded Screenshot
:

View attachment 1474
Very nice results Frankie, Those of us who have done post editing for years can easily achieve these results but what I have found in the past year or so on other forums is that new comers to this game seem to think its an easy thing to learn without the effort needed to do it right. as with anything in life, if you do not put in the hard yards, you will not get the results.
Nice work Frankie.

Reactions: Frankie
I was looking at that one too. I'm about to send my second H back for a refund. The first one was kinda blurry (or not as sharp as the phantom 4, which I also sent back to get the H instead) or at least that's what I thought until got the same image quality as before with the replacement and I looked at a couple of reviews mentioning the bit rate was different the what was advertised plus this thread. Might go back with the p4 or just wait a while. Hopefully, a firmware update gets the H camera looking right, I'll buy again. But, I also don't like how the H camera seems to warp... at leas that's how it seems

Yes I did just that. I am the proud owner of the x-star premium and the video quality out of the box is fantastic. I'm still here because I believe the H will eventually be great but its not there yet. When it is though, I will own one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval