Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H CGO3+ camera has a focus problem. Period.

Here's the video. Shot in 1080p60. Very jagged in buildings and alot of artifacts in the trees. I'm new at this so it could be me not understanding the camera settings/capabilities.

That's pretty bad. Looks like it's shot with a standard definition camera instead of a 4K camera.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
That's pretty bad. Looks like it's shot with a standard definition camera instead of a 4K camera.
Same as mine. Derstig had a good post talking about how the processor in the camera is an A2 (I think) which is the same processor they use in low end security cameras. GoPro cameras use the A9 processor which is much higher end and results in a better image.

Reactions: DroneNVnyc
Same as mine. Derstig had a good post talking about how the processor in the camera is an A2 (I think) which is the same processor they use in low end security cameras. GoPro cameras use the A9 processor which is much higher end and results in a better image.

Don't believe that for a minute. The jaggies that you see in some videos (and pretty consistently in 120fps mode) are a known firmware bug. I've spoken to Yuneec support and they're aware of the problem and have a fix currently in testing. It should be out in the next week or so apparently.

The quality of the video is nothing at all to do with the chipset. The S2 and A9 have different peripherals, but they both have dual Arm 9 processors (the S2 is actually slightly faster) and both are designed for 4K HD video.

Sorry but I just don't believe that that processor is as high end as the GoPro (the sad bitrate of the H camera proves it). I had the H and returned it because the video quality is unacceptable. They need a complete rework of the camera and its processor before I would buy again.

Don't believe that for a minute. The jaggies that you see in some videos (and pretty consistently in 120fps mode) are a known firmware bug. I've spoken to Yuneec support and they're aware of the problem and have a fix currently in testing. It should be out in the next week or so apparently.

The quality of the video is nothing at all to do with the chipset. The S2 and A9 have different peripherals, but they both have dual Arm 9 processors (the S2 is actually slightly faster) and both are designed for 4K HD video.
Firmware update just in time for the return period to lapse for most people...

Reactions: banned user
I have found that auto really sucks on this camera. I get my best results with fixed settings. Also fund that sometimes when you change the settings in flight and it looks like they changed on the ST16 that they did not in the CGO3+. I can see this when I look at the image properties on the computer.
Here is a sunrise pic right out of my Hs camera unedited or changed in any way. I feel it is pretty decent considering the low light.
Settings are:
White balance: Sunrise/Sunset
ISO: 200
Exposure Time: 1/50 second
YUN00010.jpg

This is a good thing that the auto mode sucks, but that manual settings yield great pictures. Why? - because auto mode can always be tweaked in a firmware update.

Reactions: Mike_Flys and Tuna

You can easily see why the S2 is marketed as a security camera SOC, it just can't handle automatic functions and dynamic scene changes as well as the A9. White balance adjustments are crude and often incorrect, shifting hue as well as temperature. Exposure changes happen in steps rather than fluidly. Bit rates are poor. It's more suited to a security camera where the scene changes very little and bandwidth needs to be used more efficiently as the expense of quality.

Reactions: banned user
You can easily see why the S2 is marketed as a security camera SOC, it just can't handle automatic functions and dynamic scene changes as well as the A9. White balance adjustments are crude and often incorrect, shifting hue as well as temperature. Exposure changes happen in steps rather than fluidly. Bit rates are poor. It's more suited to a security camera where the scene changes very little and bandwidth needs to be used more efficiently as the expense of quality.

That's more firmware than hardware - from what I can see there's very little difference between the chipsets in terms of video hardware, the differences tend to be in peripheral support. Yuneec's biggest problem here seems to be not spending time tuning the firmware well enough for this sort of product. The on the bench results are actually pretty good - but the user experience when you throw it into the sky (particularly in the default modes) don't reflect the quality of the hardware. Even things like bitrates are controversial because the low level of softening that Yuneec applies will make for lower bitrate streams.

I ran the CGO3+ against a GoPro Session and the white balance was actually closer to 'neutral' on Yuneec's camera - but we're all used to that 'bright blue sky' look that GoPro have across all their products. I cannot fathom why Yuneec went with a red bias on the most used 'sunny' and 'cloudy' presets. I'm hoping that the next firmware release fixes more than just the 120fps bug...

Reactions: Mike_Flys
I'm not impressed with the photo quality period. Here's an uncropped shot. Not sure how I ended up with such a low res jpg.

..not that bad too me. Seems that it was not enough light so if you were in automatic mode, the iso automatically jumped up and made it look low res to you.

I am reading all this stuff about H camera. I am not owner of any camera drone yet, but researching and reading about it for year and half.
What quality of the camera is concerned, it should not be a subject of discussion because this is not their first drone with camera. I allow that there are issues with drone itself that needs to be taken care, but camera, this should be without question........and yet it is. Multimillion dollar operation and you make mistake again with camera which is the most important why people buy this stuff. To Yuneec engineers..........did you compared video shots from P4 for example and your camera, heloooouuuu........this simple comparison will tell you that something is wrong with your camera. It is not sharp and colors (auto settings) are bad PERIOD !
I hope they will finally admit that and start to deal with this ASAP.

Here's some food for thought. Yuneec makes the CGO3 which seems to be somewhat ok, the CGO3+ is awful. the CGO4 has some issues and then they are their "Surveillance" camera the the Y18.... And look how it performs...

Love the white balance and the lack of resolution. In reading the comments the only thing that Yuneec defends is that they had the wrong vibration isolators on it. Umm Hello don't you see the other problems or is Mr Magoo in charge of the optical performance of the cameras? And does anyone else laugh at the choice of Music? seriously "Shaft"? it's kinda what they are giving us

Here's some food for thought. Yuneec makes the CGO3 which seems to be somewhat ok, the CGO3+ is awful. the CGO4 has some issues and then they are their "Surveillance" camera the the Y18.... And look how it performs...

is Mr Magoo in charge of the optical performance of the cameras?

is Mr Magoo in charge of the optical performance of the cameras?

Now that is funny.

Video of flight in Mamaroneck Harbor, NY July 07, 2016

I shot the videos on my Yuneec Typhoon H with a 3.97mm Lens Upgrade. I have not yet fully calibrated the my lens, so please excuse the minor blurriness on the left and right side. You can get one for $140 here 3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV 16MP(No Distortion) – Peau Productions The guys there are great. I had my part in 2 days.

I went out for what I consider my first confident flight in an open space. Since I live in Brooklyn flying a drone with lots of interference and heliports all around is not safe or fun.

Before every flight I always calibrate my Campus,Accelerometer and Gimble for best results.

This video was edited in Adobe Premier 2015. I did some color correction, transitions and added a melody. It took me about 2 hours to edit and 12 minutes to render a 3 minute movie.

The computer I used is a Hacktonish I custom built. It's built on a ASRock X99 Extreme4 motherboard with a i7-5930K CPU clocked at 4.6Ghz. I run OS X off of a 256GB samsung 951pro NVME SSD accompanied with 32GB of RAM. An R9 390 with 8GB of VRAM runs my 40" Phillips 4K monitor @60Hz and Final Cut Pro and an NVIDIA GTX 980Ti is fully dedicated for Adobe CC.

Let me know what you guys think at my first attempt.

Here is a none color corrected version of the video.

Here is my first video with the Stock Yuneec lens on CGO3+.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuna
We have in europe a new cams with the software: 3.2.0.7(E)
The first results are good. Better sharpness and the software tunes the colour and brightness management. If the any change at the hardware?
Please call your Yuneec service center.

Here we make a good test in germany and shows the differences about sharpness with raw pictures to other DJI Cams...

Its only in german but the important picture in RAW about the sharpness of Yuneec Typhoon H ist at 8`46``.

Last edited:
We have in europe a new cams with the software: 3.2.0.7(E)
The first results are good. Better sharpness and the software tunes the colour and brightness management. If the any change at the hardware?
Please call your Yuneec service center.

This is the first I have heard of the new firmware. Where did you get this from?

Reactions: TopFlightTexas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge