Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H crash video on YouTube

That's too bad about the bird. I hate to see it.

Based on my experience so far with my H, I would never be 1500 feet away after 17 minutes, no way. I believe I've flown between 35 and 40 flights. Only one time I have I gotten the low battery warning the first time, and the H was about 20 feet over the landing area. Once the battery gets to 14.8, 14,7 volts, I head for a landing. If I'm not satisfied with what I've captured, I'll load another battery and head back to where I was. Why push it? I have 3 batteries now and 3 more on order to assist in avoiding this very problem.

Excellent point Ted, I too like to be near my landing point when I get to 14.7 v. I think there is only about 3 minutes between 14.7 and 14.3v. I like to err on the side of having a bigger safety margin.

Reactions: Burntpixel
I've had some strange behavior from my Q500 4K a few times, once I had to turn off the controller and restart it in order to regain control of the bird, even then it came down hard and luckily didn't break anything. I've been in RC for years, but just 8 months with the drones. What I've seen on YouTube and read on this forum and others just reinforces that these things are not to be trusted, especially at the margins. I've flown my H over water and some people and traffic, so I take some chances myself. After I've been in the air for 10 minutes, I start to think about getting closer to me just in case.

Reactions: OregonDrone
It takes a few charge-discharge cycles for these batteries to get to their best. Before then, you can't rely on getting the full advertised flight times, or particularly long warnings.

To be honest, if that was just his fourth flight, he'd not had much chance to get a feel for the safety margins, to identify if there were any problems with the battery or the drone. On top of that, he'd overridden the range limit (or is that just in Smart mode)? Maybe I'm just not that brave!

What program are you using to look at the telemetry? How did you fix the video file? I have one that is like that only its my screw up forgot to stop the recording before I turned off the controller.

What program are you using to look at the telemetry? How did you fix the video file? I have one that is like that only its my screw up forgot to stop the recording before I turned off the controller.
Don't know if you were asking me about telemetry program. I would like to know what people use for that as well. As for the video files, I was not able to fix the time issue. The time stamp is still off about 5 hours to early than when I shoot the video.

Put the card back in the H. Turn on the ST-16. Let it boot up. Turn on the H. Let them connect. Record a short vid. Your other file should complete. That's assuming you haven't deleted it.

I just saw this video had been posted.

Based on the information he provided in the flight logs, after 17 minutes he was over 3000' away over the Mississippi River when he got the first battery warning. This was so clearly pilot error it is almost unbelievable. The H had no chance of getting back to the takeoff point.

Odd, the video does not play in Canada. Says not available... must be due to the music (copy write).

Time to use Tunnel Bear :)

On the OP I don't usually get into these discussions, but this appears to be another case of pushing the copter to the absolute out limits of the battery particularly when the battery is practically new and wonder why after 17 minutes it runs out of juice.

The YT author stated:

(I watched the landing gear come down and it started heading "HOME")

In fact, it did not start heading "HOME" according to the telemetry data.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I thought (after testing RTH a few times yesterday) the landing gear goes down after the copter reaches the point above where it lands once RTH is activated, correct if wrong, and I very well could be.

However, after looking at his telemetry map and recreating the lon/lat locations according to the telemetry data shown on the video, they don't match. Only the takeoff and crash locations match. For the '1st low battery warning" I took the first lon/lat visible at the top of the telemetry data sheet, then the 'error' line, then the last visible entry. I did the same for the '2nd low battery warning'. With that a rough flight path can be seen.

Location and flight path based on telemetry data in the video:
D3BmvZf.png

Pilot's version. He says RTH was activated by the pilot at ~1700 ft at 1st low battery warning, yet by his own picture it is nearly 3000 ft. The picture above is 1700 feet when the 1st low battery warning came on.
KKerdZs.png

Something is not adding up. Then there is the incomplete video and no link to the full telemetry data.

At no time does the data show the flight mode was changed from Angle mode to RTH. It was in Angle mode (3) the entire flight until it crashed, then went to flight mode 12 (crash).

If it's like Arducopter, there should be two sets of data; telemetry from the GCS and flight logs from the FC. How does Yuneec handle it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
I did very much the same thing as you. First I used the locations in his map and checked it on Google Earth. The first warning on his map would have been over 3000' away making it impossible to see the landing gear. He stated he lost video which would have been in keeping with that distance. Then I did the Lat-Long calc on GPS Visualizer: Great Circle Distance Maps, Airport Routes, & Degrees/Minutes/Seconds Calculator and came up with over 4000'. And yes, in the same location you show. Your right. Something doesn't square. I challenged him of Youtube about the wisdom of flight past 3000' at 17 min and he is still blaming the H.

N
Based on the information he provided in the flight logs, after 17 minutes he was over 3000' away over the Mississippi River when he got the first battery warning. This was so clearly pilot error it is almost unbelievable. The H had no chance of getting back to the takeoff point.
Pretty good of yuneec replied and gave an RMA.

N

Pretty good of yuneec replied and gave an RMA.
A little too generous methinks. Kinda ticks me off that they apologised for his inconvenience. That just sends a message you can be irresponsible and get your bird fixed.

Reactions: JohnL
I did very much the same thing as you. First I used the locations in his map and checked it on Google Earth. The first warning on his map would have been over 3000' away making it impossible to see the landing gear. He stated he lost video which would have been in keeping with that distance. Then I did the Lat-Long calc on GPS Visualizer: Great Circle Distance Maps, Airport Routes, & Degrees/Minutes/Seconds Calculator and came up with over 4000'. And yes, in the same location you show. Your right. Something doesn't square. I challenged him of Youtube about the wisdom of flight past 3000' at 17 min and he is still blaming the H.

Assuming the sparse snippets of data available is correct, this is one of the biggest con jobs I've seen in a long time.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis