Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

typhoon h crashed for no apparent reason

I've had my typhoon H for 5 days, all had been going well, getting used to the controls happy to take things nice and easy. I decided tonight I would go down to my local river which runs through the town centre and take some photos of the bridges with the sun setting through the arches. Weather has been great here in Perth Scotland the last few days with clear blue skies. I was on my second battery and had flown 5 to 10 minutes on second battery. I moved up the river, set up controller and hexacopter, took off about 20 feet high, flew across the river about 40 feet and the next thing I know my typhoon is flying down the river and I'm frantically trying to stop it, after 5 seconds I flicked the switch to home mode but my typhoon turned sharp left and crashed into a small island on the river. I had to walk up and over the bridge I was going to take pictures of to get to the other side to retrieve my hexacopter, whilst I was walking across, my ST16 gave me warnings that my typhoon was flying with only 5 rotor blades and to land immediately, but witnesses said they saw it crash into bushes, when I got to the vicinity of the crash I could hear an intermittent noise, I followed where the noise was coming from and here was my typhoon lying in a bush slightly immersed in water. When I took off I had 16 satellites and everything was ready, apart from slight damage, no rotors broken or rotor arms broken, 3 of the 4 rubber camera suspension grommets ( for want of a better word) have broken, one of the landing legs won't retract. I took the battery out ASAP and got a hair dryer onto the electrics when I got home.
To say I'm sick is an understatement. If it was my fault I'm ugly enough to take it on the chin, but for my hexacopter to fly off on its own merry travels after me showing it so much love and happiness for 5 days is insulting. I'm calling Yuneec UK in the morning, I'll keep you posted what kind of response I get from them and if they are happy to resolve what I can honestly say are issues with the typhoon H.

Reactions: John S
I've had my typhoon H for 5 days, all had been going well, getting used to the controls happy to take things nice and easy. I decided tonight I would go down to my local river which runs through the town centre and take some photos of the bridges with the sun setting through the arches. Weather has been great here in Perth Scotland the last few days with clear blue skies. I was on my second battery and had flown 5 to 10 minutes on second battery. I moved up the river, set up controller and hexacopter, took off about 20 feet high, flew across the river about 40 feet and the next thing I know my typhoon is flying down the river and I'm frantically trying to stop it, after 5 seconds I flicked the switch to home mode but my typhoon turned sharp left and crashed into a small island on the river. I had to walk up and over the bridge I was going to take pictures of to get to the other side to retrieve my hexacopter, whilst I was walking across, my ST16 gave me warnings that my typhoon was flying with only 5 rotor blades and to land immediately, but witnesses said they saw it crash into bushes, when I got to the vicinity of the crash I could hear an intermittent noise, I followed where the noise was coming from and here was my typhoon lying in a bush slightly immersed in water. When I took off I had 16 satellites and everything was ready, apart from slight damage, no rotors broken or rotor arms broken, 3 of the 4 rubber camera suspension grommets ( for want of a better word) have broken, one of the landing legs won't retract. I took the battery out ASAP and got a hair dryer onto the electrics when I got home.
To say I'm sick is an understatement. If it was my fault I'm ugly enough to take it on the chin, but for my hexacopter to fly off on its own merry travels after me showing it so much love and happiness for 5 days is insulting. I'm calling Yuneec UK in the morning, I'll keep you posted what kind of response I get from them and if they are happy to resolve what I can honestly say are issues with the typhoon H.
I'm sorry to hear you had a terrible problem as well I'm hoping they don't try to blame us for their glitch aircraft

That's a bummer for sure. If an electronic device is going to fail, it's usually in the first hour of operation. Sounds like that might have happened to your H. These kinds of things do happen even with the most expensive birds. Even with aircraft.

I feel your pain brother. My first Yuneec aircraft was a Typhoon Q500 1080p and the exact same thing happened after only 9 days of owning it. Had it up about 400ft and all of a sudden NOTHING! All of the lights on the quad went out and props froze. Lost all power completely and just dropped into 100 pieces. I called Yuneec and of course since I didn't have the SD card in the ST-10 at the time of the crash, they could not look at the flight log. I was disgusted because I did NOTHING wrong. Fully charged battery fresh off the charger and it was fully locked into place. I know for a fact it was fully locked in, not only because I always do a pre-flight check, but even after falling 400 feet, the battery was still locked in place.

It was just a malfunction of the quad itself and it is what it is. That is the gamble you take when flying these air crafts and it is all part of the hobby. Unfortunately mine was a total loss and not worth fixing but yours looks like it would be absolutely worth repairing. That is if Yuneec does not cover the wreck under warranty!

Reactions: aqua
Yun
I feel your pain brother. My first Yuneec aircraft was a Typhoon Q500 1080p and the exact same thing happened after only 9 days of owning it. Had it up about 400ft and all of a sudden NOTHING! All of the lights on the quad went out and props froze. Lost all power completely and just dropped into 100 pieces. I called Yuneec and of course since I didn't have the SD card in the ST-10 at the time of the crash, they could not look at the flight log. I was disgusted because I did NOTHING wrong. Fully charged battery fresh off the charger and it was fully locked into place. I know for a fact it was fully locked in, not only because I always do a pre-flight check, but even after falling 400 feet, the battery was still locked in place.

It was just a malfunction of the quad itself and it is what it is. That is the gamble you take when flying these air crafts and it is all part of the hobby. Unfortunately mine was a total loss and not worth fixing but yours looks like it would be absolutely worth repairing. That is if Yuneec does not cover the wreck under warranty!
yuneec better fix it I only had it for less than 24hrs if not then I knew I should have bought the dji 4

Reactions: raymond captuo
I hope yuneec covers it t
That's a bummer for sure. If an electronic device is going to fail, it's usually in the first hour of operation. Sounds like that might have happened to your H. These kinds of things do happen even with the most expensive birds. Even with aircraft.
I hope yuneec cover it if not then I bought a really reall expensive st16

Hey guys I got my typhoon h on Saturday but didn't fly it until yesterday (sunday) and the 1st 2 flights went good until the 3rd 1... I was hovering 20ft up in the air playing with the camera functions trying to get use to them until all of a sudden it just fell out of flight and crashed to the floor. Has anybody else experienced it just falling and crashing tp the floor for no apparent reason?
Same thing happen to me and I sent it back to yuneec and they repaired it

Hey guys I got my typhoon h on Saturday but didn't fly it until yesterday (sunday) and the 1st 2 flights went good until the 3rd 1... I was hovering 20ft up in the air playing with the camera functions trying to get use to them until all of a sudden it just fell out of flight and crashed to the floor. Has anybody else experienced it just falling and crashing tp the floor for no apparent reason?

Did you fly indoors? If yes did anyone in a house operated any electrical appliances? Microwave, power tools...

I really feel for you. I wouldn't want this to happen to me...

Did you calibrate the accelerometer as well as the GPS? Although this doesn't sound like a failure related to either. So probably a moot point...

Regarding DJI, The same type of things happen to the P4 as well and DJI doesn't cover it. If you had a P4 you might find yourself in the same boat. Not to mention their customer service is hit and miss according to threads/posts I've read

Yun
yuneec better fix it I only had it for less than 24hrs if not then I knew I should have bought the dji 4

Its not on the SD card its on the memory in the ST-16, use the USB Cord and plug it to your computer and ST-16 to see the telemetry data.

I had the same happen to me but on my second battery. Craft was in a stable hover 5 meters up, and thankfully the camera was pointing at me. This shows that I did not press any buttons or flick any switches. I had just turned to my friend to say to him that the st16 was saying i still had 15.3v left when the craft just dropped from the sky. The motors did not stop, they just slowed a bit and it fell. Only minor damage (a spring that holds the arm in place snapped and the lens cover popped off the gimbal.
When i checked the logs the first thing I noticed was the battery voltage was at 14.6v not the 15.3v the st16 had reported. Everything else in the logs looks fine. When the craft hits the ground the motor status changed from 255 (everything ok?) to 251 (5 motor mode?). I had got NO warnings on the controller during the flight until it hit the ground and said it was in 5 motor mode (when the arm hit and snapped the spring)

I do have the vid and logs but don't want to post it for the DJI trolls to get at.

Hmmmm.... Well, I was one of the very first to get a Typhoon H (back around mid May). However, my Typhoon was a lemon from day one.

I had the same happen to me but on my second battery. Craft was in a stable hover 5 meters up, and thankfully the camera was pointing at me. This shows that I did not press any buttons or flick any switches. I had just turned to my friend to say to him that the st16 was saying i still had 15.3v left when the craft just dropped from the sky. The motors did not stop, they just slowed a bit and it fell. Only minor damage (a spring that holds the arm in place snapped and the lens cover popped off the gimbal.
When i checked the logs the first thing I noticed was the battery voltage was at 14.6v not the 15.3v the st16 had reported. Everything else in the logs looks fine. When the craft hits the ground the motor status changed from 255 (everything ok?) to 251 (5 motor mode?). I had got NO warnings on the controller during the flight until it hit the ground and said it was in 5 motor mode (when the arm hit and snapped the spring)

I do have the vid and logs but don't want to post it for the DJI trolls to get at.
Don't worry about the DJI Lover Boys. I'm a long time DJI fan boy, but will be the first to admit that DJI Phantoms have glitches that DJI has not correctly addressed from one model to the next.... so they can't be forgiven for that. Yuneec on the other hand can be forgiven for problems with the "H" as it's a new model.

I recently received a brand new Phantom 3 and it is defective. I also received a brand new Typhoon H, and it is defective. I made videos of both crafts and their defects. I'll post the links to them in a seperate thread comparing Yuneec & DJI customer service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval