Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H firmware bricked

To bind to camera and see the video feed I have to hold the power switch down on the H . I think there are almost separate systems .One being the camera and gimbal and the other being the autopilot. The autopilot ( I think ) is the main controller and this is where I think the firmware is not working . Of the four files unzipped perhaps 2 have to be loaded onto the main board . One being flow and the other being the autopilot . These have to be loaded into specific locations in the on chip flash in the STM32F405 , and that is what I dont know, Instead of groping in the dark it will be far easier and cheaper to buy a new PCB but I dont know where to get one from ?

I have over 25 years in embedded hardware design both PCB , Embedded Linux and various firmware for arm processors so was very surprised by the complexity of this system especially when things go wrong - as per my problem . That said I do think the H is very well designed and thought out with good controller ( ST16 ) . All components are good selection - I was a bit concerned about the Ground plane on the u-blox GPS module - thin foil in the lid , which I think may cause issues with GPS signal dropping ( this is just speculation )

To bind to camera and see the video feed I have to hold the power switch down on the H . I think there are almost separate systems .One being the camera and gimbal and the other being the autopilot. The autopilot ( I think ) is the main controller and this is where I think the firmware is not working . Of the four files unzipped perhaps 2 have to be loaded onto the main board . One being flow and the other being the autopilot . These have to be loaded into specific locations in the on chip flash in the STM32F405 , and that is what I dont know, Instead of groping in the dark it will be far easier and cheaper to buy a new PCB but I dont know where to get one from ?

I have over 25 years in embedded hardware design both PCB , Embedded Linux and various firmware for arm processors so was very surprised by the complexity of this system especially when things go wrong - as per my problem . That said I do think the H is very well designed and thought out with good controller ( ST16 ) . All components are good selection - I was a bit concerned about the Ground plane on the u-blox GPS module - thin foil in the lid , which I think may cause issues with GPS signal dropping ( this is just speculation )
ok why you would not reply to my private conversation on top right you have red envelope read it

I have not contacted Yuneec on this issue as I do not know who to speak to and am located in the third world ( South Africa ) . By sending the unit back and getting a replacement does not really solve issues as I would still be in the dark and concerned about system reliability . I have some full size aerobatic airplanes that I fly so am perhaps overly cautious hence all this time spent on "pre flight " . If I get it working my first task is to go to the airfield and fly some distance away and then turn off the transmitter and see if the H returns home ie last know ST16 GPS position . This for me is essential due to unreliability of 2.4GHZ links .

They are separate systems - the camera has its own processor and software, and the main board in the Typhoon has a separate processor that runs autopilot (roughly speaking). If the Typhoon won't stay powered on unless you hold down the power button, it sounds like the main board is not successfully booting. You will need to talk to your dealer to find out how they can help you, but it sounds like the system is in a pretty bad state.

Headley,
I have had the SAME situation as you now have. Will only power up if you HOLD the power button.
Your Typhoon is BRICKED. I do not think Yuneec will sell you the main board. You will have to send it back to one of the service centers for repair.
It is NOT possible to program just one of the files into the H.
The up-date package was designed to do them all, and only change the updated ones. It is NOT like a cell phone where you can ROOT it and the work some magic.
Your best bet is to call either the USA, or the UK service centers, and see what they advise. From what others have said I would avoid the Germany service center for now.

martins, I will go out on a limb here and say no, we're not 100% sure. Having seen what you have written about you knowledge pertaining to programming STM, I would say you might be able to do this but its out of reach for most of us here including myself. If you can get in contact with a Yuneec engineer you may be able to get the insertion address for the STM32F405. I say if because like most engineers, they are heavily insulated from the customers. Even if you could get a hold of one, I'm not sure of their willingness to speak with you due to trade secrets, language barrier, etc. Giving all that, you may yet have the stubbornness to continue but it may be quicker in the end to just send it in.

Just a suggestion, if you knew someone with an H and if they were willing to let you test it would you be able to determine the starting addresses by reading and viewing the firmware in a working STM32F405? Note: I'm not offering up mine, I just thought you may have a friend nearby with one.

Greg

martins, ....
Just a suggestion, if you knew someone with an H and if they were willing to let you test it would you be able to determine the starting addresses by reading and viewing the firmware in a working STM32F405? Note: I'm not offering up mine, I just thought you may have a friend nearby with one.

Greg
Greg its not my thread and i have my H working and updated to latest firmware :)

hedley is this one here with problem...

Headley,
I have had the SAME situation as you now have. Will only power up if you HOLD the power button.
Your Typhoon is BRICKED. I do not think Yuneec will sell you the main board. You will have to send it back to one of the service centers for repair.
It is NOT possible to program just one of the files into the H.
The up-date package was designed to do them all, and only change the updated ones. It is NOT like a cell phone where you can ROOT it and the work some magic.
Your best bet is to call either the USA, or the UK service centers, and see what they advise. From what others have said I would avoid the Germany service center for now.

Thanks for comments -

1. It is a poor situation when customers of a shipping product have to " nail jelly to the ceiling " to try and get it working .
2. The above said - just out of technical interest I have ordered some new STM processors and am now determined to find a way to reprogram the firmware .
3. Yuneec goal should be to have satisfied customers who can use this product to take footage and not take a deep breath every time they spool up the engines. A possible way to do this is full transparency and to work with users to find solutions to the problems which seem to be identifiable and solvable . I did not set out to " brick the main board " and don't know how this happened. Perhaps they could publish a list of most reported problems and then set out a time frame and priority list to resolve these.

Lastly if yours was " bricked " how did you get it fixed.

Thanks for comments -

1. It is a poor situation when customers of a shipping product have to " nail jelly to the ceiling " to try and get it working .
2. The above said - just out of technical interest I have ordered some new STM processors and am now determined to find a way to reprogram the firmware .
3. Yuneec goal should be to have satisfied customers who can use this product to take footage and not take a deep breath every time they spool up the engines. A possible way to do this is full transparency and to work with users to find solutions to the problems which seem to be identifiable and solvable . I did not set out to " brick the main board " and don't know how this happened. Perhaps they could publish a list of most reported problems and then set out a time frame and priority list to resolve these.

Lastly if yours was " bricked " how did you get it fixed.

Surely if it is bricked having carried out the official upgrades as per their instructions they will sort things out?

I had to send it back to Yuneec in the USA.
According to them they replaced the main board.
All I know is I got it back three weeks later and it worked.

Inside the tyhphoon H is the STM32F405 processor on the main board which holds the autopilot firmware and executes the code . Normally one programs this using the USB cable connected to your computer . As mine does not seem to work I have to put in a special mode by connecting Boot0 pin to 3 V and Boot 1 to ground and then use the STM utility BUT I don't have the file . This is the PCB that I term the "flight computer" - silkscreen Typhoon H Main V01 which stores and executes the Autopilot V 1.27 code and that is what I am looking for. - I think in Ver 2.25 the autopilot is now V1.28 . This code is packaged with the camera and gimbal firmware in the download so I need it seperated to put into the main board in the flight platform .
cleardot.gif
You double check your usb drivers..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech