Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H is like a lambergini

Reaction score
Just thought I'd up the excitement for the H. I'm a cinematographer and figured I'd get into aerials shots because... well... everybody's used to these shots now, and I like to keep up with technology. I first started looking into UAV's a couple years ago when a client wanted these types of shots. Well, gotta keep clients happy. So, I started researching them. One video I watched on Youtube said if you want to fly a photography drone or do it for business you should buy a toy and learn on that. I did and I flew it a lot. Lost it in a couple trees, over a fence and across the next block. Lots of searching for it and tree climbing. Even got my rock climbing gear out to get it out of a tall tree. No luck with the climbing gear but two minutes with a fishing pole with just a weight on the line and had it back... Whew!.
Long story short. Buy the time I got the H, I new how to fly. I knew how to get back a quad copter from far away when you don't know which direction it's facing. I knew different turning techniques & I can now fly the **** out of my toy.
Then I got my H & holy ****. This sumbitch is like a race car compared to that toy. I can fly it very well and it's such an awesome piece of hardware to use. All I can add is if you're new to flying these things get a $50 toy and learn. It takes a huge amount of anxiety out of flying the H when you're confident with your piloting skills. Have tone fun working because this machine is nothing but.

Manny,
Glad you are enjoying your H. I too learned on a 686 (Toy) quad. Just like you bashed into more things, 2 fly aways (recovered both times) and I still have it and fly it from time to time.
Now if you want some real fun, turn OFF the GPS on the H and fly it. If you let go of the sticks it will hold altitude but drift with the wind. She can fly faster with the GPS off so be ready for it.

Manny,
Glad you are enjoying your H. I too learned on a 686 (Toy) quad. Just like you bashed into more things, 2 fly aways (recovered both times) and I still have it and fly it from time to time.
Now if you want some real fun, turn OFF the GPS on the H and fly it. If you let go of the sticks it will hold altitude but drift with the wind. She can fly faster with the GPS off so be ready for it.
Buuuttt.....once it gets much over 40 mph it will start to loose altitude so if you want to fly fast you need to start high.

Just thought I'd up the excitement for the H. I'm a cinematographer and figured I'd get into aerials shots because... well... everybody's used to these shots now, and I like to keep up with technology. I first started looking into UAV's a couple years ago when a client wanted these types of shots. Well, gotta keep clients happy. So, I started researching them. One video I watched on Youtube said if you want to fly a photography drone or do it for business you should buy a toy and learn on that. I did and I flew it a lot. Lost it in a couple trees, over a fence and across the next block. Lots of searching for it and tree climbing. Even got my rock climbing gear out to get it out of a tall tree. No luck with the climbing gear but two minutes with a fishing pole with just a weight on the line and had it back... Whew!.
Long story short. Buy the time I got the H, I new how to fly. I knew how to get back a quad copter from far away when you don't know which direction it's facing. I knew different turning techniques & I can now fly the **** out of my toy.
Then I got my H & holy ****. This sumbitch is like a race car compared to that toy. I can fly it very well and it's such an awesome piece of hardware to use. All I can add is if you're new to flying these things get a $50 toy and learn. It takes a huge amount of anxiety out of flying the H when you're confident with your piloting skills. Have tone fun working because this machine is nothing but.
If more pilots followed your advice we would see fewer problems posted here. I have a boneyard of broken toys and a few still in the box. I've never crashed a Q or an H although I have done some tree trimming. Well, I did land the Q in a tree when I lost video feed.
Have you used the Green Arrow to get the orientation?

If more pilots followed your advice we would see fewer problems posted here. I have a boneyard of broken toys and a few still in the box. I've never crashed a Q or an H although I have done some tree trimming. Well, I did land the Q in a tree when I lost video feed.
Have you used the Green Arrow to get the orientation?
No on the arrow but have been reading and watching quite a few informational subjects on that very green arrow you mentioned. Next flight is for checking out what I learned.

No on the arrow but have been reading and watching quite a few informational subjects on that very green arrow you mentioned. Next flight is for checking out what I learned.
I tend to use that rather than RTH if I loose video feed and can't see the orientation. Generally I yaw until the arrow is straight up and then I push the right stick forward to bring it back in range. It seems like I get the best video feed when the H is pointed away from me and as soon as I yaw I loose signal (at distance).

Reactions: Rayray
Have you had any luck with photos yet. I finally gave up. I just video my whole flight in 4K and pull a jpeg frame from the video. Those seem much better to me.

Have you had any luck with photos yet. I finally gave up.

What do you mean? Won't take photos? It may not take a photo while running a video, but should when the video is not running.
The ST16 screen shot is also neat to use.:)

Have you had any luck with photos yet. I finally gave up. I just video my whole flight in 4K and pull a jpeg frame from the video. Those seem much better to me.

Steve,

What kind of issues are you having with photos? Perhaps we could get together in a private conversation

Definitely be ready for it. I did this and wasn't expecting the momentum it also carries with it in a turn. HUGE open field, racing from one end to the other giggling like a school girl holding hands for the first time. Didn't stop quite soon enough and momentum took it right into a tree trunk. Minimal damage but I cried a little. Sigh, lesson learned. I blame my son for letting me fly his FPV racing drone.

Reactions: Jester
What do you mean? Won't take photos? It may not take a photo while running a video, but should when the video is not running.
The ST16 screen shot is also neat to use.:)
Steve,

What kind of issues are you having with photos? Perhaps we could get together in a private conversation
To be clear, I'm referring to the quality of photos. It's likely because I'm such a novice at setting up the camera for the proper exposures. I can get decent video and pull a frame and those seam to be pretty good at least for my use.

Try the lazy way to get a feel for the settings. Grab a small table and an easy chair and set them outside. Put the H on the table, fix the camera on a subject, snd shoot lots of photos with the video setting set to any 4k frame rate. Use the JPG & DNG combined setting. Shoot a series if pics in Normal scene setting using different shutter speeds AND the histogram to stay off either end if the meter. Do the same with Gorgeous setting. Do series for each of the WB settings. Make a note for each photo describing the setting. Know what number the first file on the card is before you start in order to associate a file number with the note.

Yea, it's a lit of work but you learn how to get good pics that way. Make sure you have a post processing program that will do DNG. You'll be glad you did.

I tend to use that rather than RTH if I loose video feed and can't see the orientation. Generally I yaw until the arrow is straight up and then I push the right stick forward to bring it back in range. It seems like I get the best video feed when the H is pointed away from me and as soon as I yaw I loose signal (at distance).
Learned from flying a Phantom 2 Vision a couple of years ago there is a procedure I learned and use even now when I'm flying my current Phantom 2V+. The same method can be used with the H if, for some reason, you choose to ignore the green arrow.

As long as you still have the aircraft in sight, even if it's just a black dot in the distance, then if you loose orientation:

1 Gain some height...height is your friend.

2 Move the right stick forwards lightly to see which direction the aircraft is heading. If the aircraft moves to the left, then while still giving it a bit of right stick move the left stick lightly to the left and when you can no-longer see any lateral movement the aircraft is facing you. Then let off the left stick and power on the right stick which will bring the aircraft towards you. What you have done is fly in an arc until the aircraft is facing you.

Conversely, if after giving some forwards pressure on the right stick you see the aircraft moving to the right then do the above but this time move the left stick to the right.

Of course with the green arrow you need not have to do this, but it's a handy technique to know if, for example, you are flying something that doesn't benefit from having a green arrow on the screen.

Manny,

My experience with toy drones was the opposite. Tried 3 of them. Not until I got a Phantom 3 Standard that I realized how stable and easy to fly (once you understand orientation) drones are. I like all the major brands.

It's those smaller unstable ones that best develop the hand-eye-orientation-control response reflexes;). Once we can fly those all the rest are cake.

Buuuttt.....once it gets much over 40 mph it will start to loose altitude so if you want to fly fast you need to start high.

This is correct. Most of my videos are biographies of my clients and their prize cars. I had the H flying at 45 MPH chasing a BMW M3 thru some mountain passes this weekend and started at 100 feet. As we drove faster and not changing elevation, the H kept losing altitude. I remember Steve's advice from months ago and gave the H more altitude for the next 3 miles. I should be done with the feature soon. Here is preview.

Learned from flying a Phantom 2 Vision a couple of years ago there is a procedure I learned and use even now when I'm flying my current Phantom 2V+. The same method can be used with the H if, for some reason, you choose to ignore the green arrow.

As long as you still have the aircraft in sight, even if it's just a black dot in the distance, then if you loose orientation:

1 Gain some height...height is your friend.

2 Move the right stick forwards lightly to see which direction the aircraft is heading. If the aircraft moves to the left, then while still giving it a bit of right stick move the left stick lightly to the left and when you can no-longer see any lateral movement the aircraft is facing you. Then let off the left stick and power on the right stick which will bring the aircraft towards you. What you have done is fly in an arc until the aircraft is facing you.

Conversely, if after giving some forwards pressure on the right stick you see the aircraft moving to the right then do the above but this time move the left stick to the right.

Of course with the green arrow you need not have to do this, but it's a handy technique to know if, for example, you are flying something that doesn't benefit from having a green arrow on the screen.

Until I master this technique and trust the green arrow, I have a handy set of binoculars as a back up! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval