Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H+ takes off When starting rotors

Reaction score
Website
trekfederation.com
I haven't flown my H+ in over a year. This week I got it out, charged everything and checked for any software updates. None were available so I went out and calibrated the compass and gave her a try. I pushed the starter button and instead of just starting, it took off at high speed and the controller had no effect. Lucikly a tree stopped it before it flew away. I have to replace the landing struts and some props, but that's easy.

The thing is that I went through all of the pre-flight prep. Before that I made sure the controller was bound to the drone and the camera. For some reason the drone will not respond correctly to any controller commands...other than starting the props which results into a quick burst up and out.

Help? Our drone is needed for search and rescue and damage assessment from the tornadoes.

Thanks!

Download the WTFDproject Rev89 from this thread Way To Fix Drones project and then follow the instructions to retrieve and review the flightlogs for the H+. Then upload the resulting zip file to this thread using the Attach files button.

Be sure to get the Remote and RemoteGPS folders along with the Telemetry. They are necessary to check for proper operation.

In trying to fix the item, I did a factory reset on the controller. I'll try to get you reports once I get the landing gear replaced.

I have also noticed that the camera continually looks down and won't respond to the controller.

Please confirm you have an HPlus (Not an H-pro). The problem you describe can occur on both models, but occurs from different issues. And the H-Pro issue shows up more often.
Have you checked the RC monitor screen to see if all the controls are responding smoothly and returning cleanly to center when the sticks are released?

I thought maybe it was a Pro, but on the drone itself, the label is Typhoon H Plus. I'm no pro, so walk me through any technical stuff as if I were 5.

Anyone know where I can get some landing struts?

Please confirm you have an HPlus (Not an H-pro). The problem you describe can occur on both models, but occurs from different issues. And the H-Pro issue shows up more often.
Have you checked the RC monitor screen to see if all the controls are responding smoothly and returning cleanly to center when the sticks are released?
I think I gave gotten to the RC monitor and it seems all switches register a response...except for K1 and the sticks. Actually, anything K is NOT working.

Reactions: WTFDproject
I think I gave gotten to the RC monitor and it seems all switches register a response...except for K1 and the sticks. Actually, anything K is NOT working.
Time to open the back and check some connections. Follow this video for the first 3 minutes.
Once the back is off you should have access to the stick gimbals. Use a plastic safe contact cleaner to clean the potentiometers for the sticks and also the connectors where they plug into the main board. It is best to clean them outside of the controller body. See the attached document for items to check.

Once they are cleaned and reinstalled put the cover back on the back and install the battery and check the sticks in the hardware monitor. If they are working replace the screws and grips. Let us know how it goes.

Attachments

• Control Stick Gimbal Maintenance.pdf
    230.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: DCH and Steve Carr
I have done another factory reset and updated all software/firmware. From the RC monitor, it seems that no K switches are working and neither are the J controllers (the sticks).
This is interesting. I had the same problem about a week ago. Mine was self inflicted. I had installed firmware from another model, and something went wrong when returning to normal firmware.
IF cleaning the sticks as suggested by Steve Carr does not work, we can delve more into the firmware as an issue. Mine was a real pain to fix. I'll have to go review some discussions to remember what finally worked. Or at least seemed to work.

The Rate slider and Tilt slider can be sprayed where they are at without removing. Just don’t spray an excessive amount of contact cleaner and work them full extent several times. Same with the Pan knob.

I am guessing I need to break the silicon that is holding the connections on the sticks to get them open and clean them, correct?
NO......just spray to little black pots.
If your pots have a white connector on top, spray those as well. A brief shot of spray followed by stirring the stick. Do it several times.

Spray Cleaner.jpg

Last edited:
Once you are cleaned and put back together test everything in the RC Monitor and report the results.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Did you spray into the tiny hole on the potentiometers like in the attached document?

You may need to remove the silicone on the small connectors at the gimbal end and use the contact cleaner and plug and unplug them several times to remove the fine oxidation that can form on the contacts. Do the same at the end that plugs into the Mainboard.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval