Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon Q500 4k and Typhoon H Upgrade Worth It

Reaction score
Okay I am going to put this out there and welcome all comers and arguments. The truth is I am a Typhoon 4k owner for a year now. Have loved this bird. But now I am asking myself is it time to upgrade and what should I do. If I was to upgrade and choose the Typhoon H would the camera be better than the CGO3 on the 4k. Personally I really don't care what bird it is. I just want to know is the Camera Quality better between the two.

I have also been studying up on the new Phantom 4 Pro Plus. Looks promising.

Anybody got an opinion on this.

Last edited:
Okay I am going to put this out there and welcome all comers and arguments. The truth is I am a Typhoon 4k owner for a year now. Have loved this bird. But now I am asking myself is it time to upgrade and what should I do. If I was to upgrade and choose the Typhoon H would the camera be better than the CGO3 on the 4k. Personally I really don't care what bird is it. I just want to know is the Camera Quality better between the two.

I'm thinking like you Wing except I'd be going from the 500+..no settings on the CGO2+ so the different camera would all be new to me

You will find the CGO3 and CGO3+ are pretty much the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From some of the videos I've seen, the camera on the P4 Pro is technically a better camera but is not without issues. That may be due to it being a pre-release but who knows...

Then there's that other thing.. DJI customer service...

Well.... I love my H but if it's simply down to the camera I would go for the P4 Pro,

1" sensor
Mechanical shutter
20mp
higher ISO for lower light filming.

among other things.

For clarification, the mechanical shutter only works on still images. It is not, as many had assumed, a mechanical shutter for video. You can still get Jell-O video.

For clarification, the mechanical shutter only works on still images. It is not, as many had assumed, a mechanical shutter for video. You can still get Jell-O video.

Your kidding right? The shutter only if for pictures? All the Advertising lead me to think other wise.

I thought that too, but I watch and in-depth video about some of the issues with that camera it last week and they pointed that out.

What issues exist currently?

Your kidding right? The shutter only if for pictures? All the Advertising lead me to think other wise.

I thought that too but I watched an in-depth video outlining some of the issues the camera is having and they pointed that out.

The image can be better with a P4 but the gimbal is not up the the level of the H. This becomes rapidly apparent in high winds and changes in pan and yaw.

I don't know if the functionality provided for the H camera is also available for the Typhoon 500/4K. I have a Chroma 4K, which is the same camera used in the 500 4K and I cannot use it as effectively as the H.

The image can be better with a P4 but the gimbal is not up the the level of the H. This becomes rapidly apparent in high winds and changes in pan and yaw.

I don't know if the functionality provided for the H camera is also available for the Typhoon 500/4K. I have a Chroma 4K, which is the same camera used in the 500 4K and I cannot use it as effectively as the H.

The chroma 4K camera is the same as Q500 just white and orange instead of black

I personally found a huge difference between the CGO3 and the CGO3+. With the latest firmware on the H the video is great and allows for a lot more control of the shots. I don't think you can get a better gimbal either. Mine are solid even in fierce wind.

Okay I am going to put this out there and welcome all comers and arguments. The truth is I am a Typhoon 4k owner for a year now. Have loved this bird. But now I am asking myself is it time to upgrade and what should I do. If I was to upgrade and choose the Typhoon H would the camera be better than the CGO3 on the 4k. Personally I really don't care what bird it is. I just want to know is the Camera Quality better between the two.

To address the question asked originally, I say go for the H. I've had both, and the H is superior.

First, the H is more stable in wind. It shows in your video.

With the latest firmware, the video image is markedly improved. I don't know if there are any similar updates to the cgo3. Of course the lens and the sensor are the same, but the newer software helps.

The H is more sporty and fun to fly. Now if you want to film with slow movements at close range, the Q4k is easier to use. With the H, you have to use the cruise control for low and slow. It's a couple extra clicks, but not too difficult.

There are many other reasons to move to the H, such as many automated flight modes, but on simple image quality, it's an easy choice.

... Now if you want to film with slow movements at close range, the Q4k is easier to use. With the H, you have to use the cruise control for low and slow. It's a couple extra clicks, but not too difficult.

I've never flow the Q4K but I find it easy to fly low and slow with the H. Just rotate the switch to Turtle speed. :)

Good conversation going. I am simply in to this for the Photography. It is all about the Quality of Capture. Last year I bought the 4k before Xmas and soon seen the price drop to 1/2 of what I paid. I paid almost 1500 with tax at retail. I have not seen enough advancement this year in the Camera's to warrant another 1500 out lay.

I was thinking of an upgrade if the Quality of Capture would warrant it. Right now I think I will be sticking to my Q500 4k Typhoon.

I bought the Q500 a couple of years ago when it first came out. It was my first drone. I bought it just to fly for fun and to take arial video's and pictures for personal viewing, nothing professional. The Q500 is rock solid and flew perfect right out of the box with no calibrations at all. Till this day it is still flying great with not one issue. I just recently purchased the H. The main reason was that I wanted the safety of being able to fly on 5 motor in case one failed. I only flew the H 2 times and I just sent it in because of GPS and compass warning issues. I don't know what changes they made to the GPS and compass systems in the H but they seem to be having some issues with them. I haven't had any GPS or compass issues with the Q500.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvca441772