Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon Q500 4K or spark

Spark or Q500 4k

• Spark

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Q500 4k

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
I have both and like them both for different reasons ,, the spark is great for what it's meant to do , and that's not 400ft up and a mile away , if you can see it past 100yds your doing good at 400 unless you have a telescope good luck ,so close proximity is where it flourishes much guicker faster more responsive, its really fun to fly for the enjoyment of it , it stops on a dime and gives change , the hand jesters selfie mode is great also great drone at a party in the back yard
I bought the 500 as a bridge drone it's bigger easier to see at longer distances shoots 4K so they say mines used and it's not working lol , the monitor has a built in android screen which I really like not having to use my phone and the return to home is where you are , I forgot to reset my return to home on my spark and the battery was going dead it started flying home and it started raining so I couldn't stop it had to dry it off first almost lost it over the water , the controller is big plus IMHO , oh one thing I forgot the spark has sensors it won't fly into anything when it's turned on , so in a follow me mode lower to the ground it won't crash where as the 500 you better make sure your flying high enough ,

9rock

That’s great info!! Can you set the return to home height on the Q500?

When flying higher than 33 feet (10 meters) the TYPHOON will maintain the current altitude, fly back to the home point, , or active home point if the ST10+ has enough satellites for Follow Me, then descend vertically until it lands. When flying lower than 33 feet (10 meters) the TYPHOON will climb to 33 feet (10 meters) while flying back to the home point, or active home position, then descend vertically until it lands.

CAUTION: You must be certain there are no obstacles in the ‘Return to Home’ flight path otherwise the TYPHOON may come into contact with them and crash. And while the TYPHOON is in Home Mode you will have a limited amount of directional control to help avoid obstacles, however, we strongly recommend switching to Smart or Angle Mode to avoid the obstacle (then you can switch back to Home Mode).

Last edited:
The Q500 and the H920 are not on the list. Just guessing it's because they are out of production. That doesn't preclude them from being added. I don't know how many owners would be using them for commercial operations in controlled airspace in Canada. I presume DJI has not submitted the Phantom2 and Phantom3 for the same reason.

View attachment 17119
Good point, but there seems to be a misconception that the advanced certification in Canada is for commercial use. You can do commercial work even with the basic certification in Canada. TC did away with the separate certification for commercial work. What the advanced certification allows you to do is commercial, or hobby flying, in area's that are within controlled airspace. SFOC's are still required for specific purposes. I received my full advanced rating from TC last week after passing my exam and then doing the flight review. It was far more difficult and extensive than I had first thought. Talking with TC rep and the flight reviewer, the thought process was to inject a level of professionalism into drone flying. With the advanced certification I certainly am now qualified, with the appropriate equipment, to fly both commercially or as a hobbyist in controlled or restricted airspace following the appropriate procedures. What most don't realize, is that when I set up a TO/LZ for advanced operations, using the approved procedures, I have set up an aerodrome under Canadian aviation law. That requires a level of responsibility and adherence to procedures. An example of a common commercial operation in controlled airspace is the use of aerial photography for real estate. I have several friends who do this, and have been using Yuneec Q500's and H's up till now. The late entry of Yuneec forced all of them that I know, to move to Mavic's because they were on the list, long before the Yuneecs. I was the beneficiary of one of the q500 from one of my buddies that I got at a really good price to add to my Yuneec airforce, but I too acquired a competitor's machine for advanced requirement flying . As a result, I may now sell all of my Q500s (3 of them) as I can't use them in controlled airspace.

Everyone keeps telling me the range on the q500 is Terrible, how bad is it really though? I know different countries have different firmware but I did watch some videos here in the US and it seem to go a pretty good distance. Why does everybody make it sound like the range is really bad?
IMHO the q500 is a workhorse. I have 2 of them and the video range is not really bad. I love them. It think it might depend on where you fly it over. I get most of the times 1250+ feet out on the countryside or at the beach here in California. But if you fly it over an urban area it decreases drastically. You will be lucky to get more than 500 feet. I have never tried any other drone other than the Q500. I haven’t had the need to since it is very reliable. I purchased both of my drones 3 years ago and I had only updated the firmware of the ST10+ on both of them. Everything works perfect

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz