Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon Q500 4K or spark

Spark or Q500 4k

• Spark

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Q500 4k

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have the option to purchase a typhoon Q500 4K or the DJI spark,I have been back-and-forth for the last two days reading and watching videos and I am still unable to make a decision. I am looking for recommendations, those are the two options and only the two options I have, The Q500 is obviously going to be they refurbished model from the factory Due to it being discontinued but the spark would be new. Can I get some recommendations from everyone? Thanks in advance. I’ve owned Several DJI products before but never anything from yuneec.

From what I recall, you'll have a better camera on the q500 4k. But it's a big package. I have a q500 4k, h pro, and mavic air. The mavic gets take more places simply due to size.

I'd decide if you want a smaller package or better camera.

If portability is your thing, go for the Spark. It's a good pocket drone with imagery perfectly adequate for social media use.

If quality of image is of more importance, go with the Q500 4K.

So the age old answer, "It depends."

How about the range? I had a mavic air and I was not to impressed with the range. My other concern was support for the typhoon q500 being that it is discontinued. Any issues with firmware or software upgrades because of it being discontinued? I am not to concerned with size but I am with reliability and support.

The Spark is newer technology and it is tiny. However the video range is about 250'. You will need to provide your own monitor such as a phone or tablet, create an acct with DJI and then download the app to run on the phone/tablet.

The Q500 is much older tech but has survived the test of time. It is still a popular model. The firmware is stable and will require no updates. It has a built in monitor and requires no user acct or apps.

Reactions: biltno
Here are some links regarding the Spark:
This one discusses the Spark 2. However that release has been postponed indefinitely.

The Spark is newer technology and it is tiny. However the video range is about 250'. You will need to provide your own monitor such as a phone or tablet, create an acct with DJI and then download the app to run on the phone/tablet.

The Q500 is much older tech but has survived the test of time. It is still a popular model. The firmware is stable and will require no updates. It has a built in monitor and requires no user acct or apps.
Thanks for the responses! If I use the transmitter with the spark is the video range still that low?

Old stable never to be updated again firmware is the best firmware imho.

Range is what it is. Max is going to be about the same (provided you are using the Spark controller) with the Q500 tending to drop out earlier than the Spark in similar conditions. If you thought the range of a Mavic was disappointing there's no way you'll be satisfied with the range of a Spark or Q500.

Support for older drones sucks across all manufacturers. That said...I've never heard of somebody wearing out a Q500, or a Spark for that matter. Most folks crash them long before that.

How about the range? I had a mavic air and I was not to impressed with the range. My other concern was support for the typhoon q500 being that it is discontinued. Any issues with firmware or software upgrades because of it being discontinued? I am not to concerned with size but I am with reliability and support.
I've never tried to test the range on the mavic air, but will go beyond line of sight for sure. Out of the 3 I have the only one I've lost signal within line of sight was the q500 4k, at about 800'.

I see that there is a USA version a UK version and a EU version. What is the difference between the 3. And how do I know which one I am getting if I buy it 3rd party?

What is the difference between the 3

Mainly, it's transmitter power levels and by extension, usable range. In the UK and EU limits for 2.4 GHz and 5.8GHz are different to (and less than) what is allowed in the US for example.
However it is usually the firmware installed that governs which version you get - the hardware is usually the same across all the models.

This is a tough and very personal question to answer. I can only offer you my personal view. I have 3 q500's, an older G gopro model and two 4k models of which I have only used one extensively, the other being my backup. I have had no real complaints; stable, reliable and great video from the 4k cameras. However I did have one gimbal go tango uniform for no apparent reason. They are a great sUAV. I've also had a chance to play with several H models. I now own a spark and while I haven't used it extensively yet, I am quite impressed for it's size and utility quality video. There is a lot of tech packed into it. My main reasons for getting the spark are twofold. The first, being in Canada, we now have new and to some people's view, rather draconian sUAV rules. The spark is certified for advanced operations while the q500 is not. That may or may not be important to you. Second the small size makes it idea as a travel drone, and when being used, doesn't seem to garner the attention that a large sUAV does from joe public. The Q500 is a pain to travel with if you're flying somewhere. If you plan on travelling by air, the compact spark makes more sense. I know that the Mantis Q is an option if you want to stick with Yuneec, but it's not certified for advanced operations here in Canada. While that may not matter if you're in the US, changes are coming and I would not be surprised if the FAA decides to go the Canada route and start looking at the sUAV's capability and issuing operating restrictions too. They are following Canada's lead with testing so.... Regardless, both options are viable and I simply made the choice of a spark for when I travel and for use in restricted airspace, and my q500's for when I go by car into the backwoods or unrestricted airspace. I was planning to upgrade to the latest H model, but I'll wait and see what yuneec comes up with as a replacement but if not soon, I may on the other hand simply upgrage to the version 2 pro version of the competition as it is relatively compact and offers high quality video and is certified for advanced operations. The later is important to me. Good luck on your decision.

The certification is simply a statement sent by the manufacturer to Transport Canada. It should be a simple to add the Mantis to the list.
It's not that simple. There is a standard that the manufacture must meet when they make the declaration and the draft document is called AC 922-001. Big fines if declarations are not true. What TC has done is asked the manufactures to submit their statement saying what meets the requirements in AC 922-001. The question I have is why Yuneec hasn't done so for the Mantis and q500 if it is so simple? If you look closely at the approved list, some of the competition's machines are not certified for all categories. The spark is certified for operation in controlled airspace and operations near people. My error...I just looked at the updated transport Canada approved list of drones certified for advanced operations, and the mantis is now there, but only for one of the three categories; operations in controlled airspace. The link is Choosing the right drone - Transport Canada

Everyone keeps telling me the range on the q500 is Terrible, how bad is it really though? I know different countries have different firmware but I did watch some videos here in the US and it seem to go a pretty good distance. Why does everybody make it sound like the range is really bad?

Why does everybody make it sound like the range is really bad?
Much depends on the area you are flying. I've flown the Q to around 2000' with no modifications and maintained video feed until I rotated the aircraft to fly back. I lost the video signal until it was about 1000' away. Under the new guidelines you are required to maintain line of sight. So a bigger aircraft is going to be easier to see at a distance. A small quad is extremely difficult to see past 1000'.

I see that there is a USA version a UK version and a EU version. What is the difference between the 3. And how do I know which one I am getting if I buy it 3rd party?
The only difference is the firmware for the camera. The version installed will be displayed in "About Controller"

This shows the two version available for the camera firmware. STD is the US version and E is the EU and UK version.

1561001504332.png

The question I have is why Yuneec hasn't done so for the Mantis and q500
The Q500 and the H920 are not on the list. Just guessing it's because they are out of production. That doesn't preclude them from being added. I don't know how many owners would be using them for commercial operations in controlled airspace in Canada. I presume DJI has not submitted the Phantom2 and Phantom3 for the same reason.

1561002137943.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval