Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Unable to update firmware

Reaction score
I get the message of firmware update for the drone. So with the drone battery at 100% and the controller at 100% I head over to the menu to update firmware. When I click on the green 'update button, the button press works as virtual buttons do but nothing happens. My understanding is that the image of the drone animates etc but nothing. I have left this for 20-30 minutes and still nothing....

Anyone else had issues ?

I hope someone else has a better answer, but this response is based on seeing the same issue in a couple of other C23 cameras.

First, is this the point in the process your update is failing?
Update button.jpg
If the update is failing here, it may imply a degradation in the camera's main ribbon. The ribbon carries many functions, but the part that handles firmware updates is often one of the first to fail. The cameras otherwise perform all functions normally. At least for a while.

You can also do updates using SD cards instead of WIFI. If the ribbon is damaged, the SD card update may also fail to work. The two methods share some of the same conductors in the ribbon. You can try the SD card method using the instructions in Attachment 30 (H Plus SD Card Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Thanks for the reply, yes this is where the update is failing and guess what, the camera has just come back from repair (from minitec) as it was faulty and I have had a new connecting cable, refurbished pitch motor, pitch encoder. I'll have a look at the SD card method but if it is the cable then I'm not very happy as it is suppose to be new and the whole repair cost me a lot !

Thanks for the reply, yes this is where the update is failing and guess what, the camera has just come back from repair (from minitec) as it was faulty and I have had a new connecting cable, refurbished pitch motor, pitch encoder. I'll have a look at the SD card method but if it is the cable then I'm not very happy as it is suppose to be new and the whole repair cost me a lot !
"... then I'm not very happy as it is suppose to be new.."
Don't be too hard on them. If they replaced the Pitch Motor and Pitch Ribbon, they would have to dismount the camera ball and camera arms. To do that requires disturbing both sections of the main ribbon. It would be difficult to detect a partial degradation of the main ribbon. Post testing of more than the basic functions would take time and the extra expense would likely be considered impractical by many customers.
With that said, these three ribbons are pretty much the weak point in the C23/E90 camera system. Damage happens several ways:
1.) Apparent most common - Crash.
2.) Next most common - Compass/Accelerometer calibrations with the camera mounted but not secured by gimbal lock.
3.) Transporting without gimbal lock in place (Bumpy roads)
4.) Any unrelated repairs that involve removal of WiFi board, gimbal board, roll motor, camera arms or camera ball. (which is pretty much anything other than replacing a cracked lens filter. Which probably involved item #1 above.)
5.) And sometimes they fail for no apparent reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval