Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Upcoming trip to Mountains flying at 7-9,000 feet...issues?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an upcoming trip to Mammoth Lakes California and was hoping to get some nice flying/videos in while there...I did notice some recommendations in the manual about flying in high altitude conditions only in 'Turtle Mode'...

...Have any of you had experience in high altitude flying in the approximate elevation I'll be experiencing?....any recommendations or issues to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

-B

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I presume the H has the same altitude limits as the Q500 which is 8000' sea level elevation. If you plan to fly at that altitude you need to contact Yuneec ASAP and get special firmware which will allow you to take off at that altitude. You just have to be aware of the thin air at altitude. There is less lift and it is easier to lose control if you don't pay attention. Fly smoothly and don't make sudden turns or maneuvers. Descend for landing more slowly.

Reaction score
Steve is right call Yuneec. There is also a little thing called Density Altitude to be confers with. It will confuse TH.

Reaction score
I recently flew at 9200' without any of that turtle mode or firmware nonsense.

Reactions: Brandon B

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Yuneec has an 8000' altitude limitation. It does not reference sea level at all. Big difference between ASL/MSL and AGL.

Density altitude affects pretty much everything that flies, especially those things with propellers, wings, and normally aspirated engines. We only need to be concerned with propellers. The higher you go the less dense the atmosphere so propeller efficiency falls off. You'll end up using up the battery faster because more RPM, amperage will be necessary to generate the lift needed. Try to descend too quickly while too low and you may not be able to arrest the descent before impacting the ground. If the H flies ok a fast descent would be my only concern.

Reaction score
Mammoth Lakes is great. Use to go skiing there every spring.

Reaction score
I live in Colorado and regularly fly at altitudes above 8000 ft. No issues. I've flown at 11,000 ft with zero issues...

I only needed the high altitude patch on my Q500, NOT on my "H"...

Reaction score
I only got my "H" in May or June so I don't know about winter weather at altitude... Summer weather temps at those elevations have varied. As warm as the low 80s and as cool as the high 50s...

I've flown my other drones in the teens and 20s at about 7000 feet without issue...

What are the temps at those altitudes that the H can withstand?

Reactions: Brandon B
Reaction score
I only got my "H" in May or June so I don't know about winter weather at altitude... Summer weather temps at those elevations have varied. As warm as the low 80s and as cool as the high 50s...

I've flown my other drones in the teens and 20s at about 7000 feet without issue...
Thank you for your reply QuadBart, if you've flown in the teens its well below freezing and that kind of answers my question. I live where we have a winter. Thanks

Reactions: TopFlightTexas

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
What are the temps at those altitudes that the H can withstand?
Standard lapse rate is 3*/1000' of elevation change. That can increase a little. For fair estimating purposes just subtract 3* from launch level temps for each 1000' elevation gain.

Reactions: james stepp

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hey101