Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update bricked, and gui doesn't work....

Reaction score
Neighbor bought this drone new, tried it, and it spooked him so he decided no drones for him.

Me doing alot of RC including helicopters and other drones, bought it from him a short time ago(couple weeks), and had fun flying it. I prefer thr controller over the toy like simplistic controllers of DJI. I love the 6 rotor design, etc.

So I checked for updates and only update it needed was autopilot. So I grabbed the file from YuneecSkins and ran the update. Seemed to work fine. Took it out for a flight after and all seemed well.

Tried to fly the next day and it would only beep once. Camera would center if I held power long enough but that's it. I connect USB and battery it lights up, and does the boot sound and then just sits there with a regular descending 2 tone beep like it's waiting for an update.

I have tried and tried and can NOT get this thing to connect to GUI, all the way down to this.

Fresh wipe of a Windows 10 laptop. I installed firefox, and then using links from this forum, downloaded the GUI 1.2.13. Downloaded firmware 1.28_24_9_2016.yuneec.

I then went to MS and downloaded the 2017 C++ redistributables. Installed, rebooted.

Set the installer for the GUI to run in compatability mode for Windows 7, and ran as admin. All the drivers and everything else installed correctly(I did this on another laptop without compatability mode and same difference, both Win10 and Win11).

Set compatability mode to Win7 and run as administrator, for the installed GUI.

I opened up the updater, loaded the afformentiones .yuneec file made sure battery was removed from the drone, connected the USB and it just sits there and does nothing. No matter how long I let it sit there.

Do I need to buy a Win7 Native laptop or dig up one of my old XP laptops that take an hour and a half to boot?

Sunk a bunch $$ into this thing to only fly it a few times.

I have a background in IT and 30 years experience on the tech side of computers.

Please confirm the model of your drone, camera and controller.

"....and then using links from this forum, downloaded the GUI 1.2.13. Downloaded firmware 1.28_24_9_2016.yuneec."
Please add a link to the post that directed you to install this firmware. That flight controller firmware is not intended to be used for actual flight. It is a special case firmware used for recovering flight controllers with bad firmware.

"...I opened up the updater, loaded the afformentiones .yuneec file ......"
Did you update the flight controller using the GUI instead of using the normal update process??

I had originally updated the "autpilot" using the ST16. I believe I had one flight and then failure. I could be wrong and not flown it after. What I remember about the sequence is update "autopilot" on Day 1 and Drone is a brick on Day 2.

Everything I have read here and elsewhere said to use that particular firmware to attempt to repair the brick, utilizing the method outlined above, and then to run the update process normally. I am attempting to use that firmware to UNbrick the drone, not to use it for flight. Prior to bricking it was 3.xx.

Typhoon H

Was the drone behaving normally before the first update attempt?

When you did the first update, did you use the file "TyphoonH_Ver3.04_A.bin" ?
Was the file copied to a freshly formatted SD card?
SD Card placed in the Camera?
Camera and drone powered up and allowed to fully initialize?
Update triggered from the ST16 update button in the "Aircraft" section of "About Controller"?
Did you get an "update successful" type message?

Has the GUI ever worked?
Are you absolutely certain the USB cord is data capable?
Are you powering on the Typhoon H before connecting to the GUI?

Reactions: Pier2162
When you did the first update, did you use the file "TyphoonH_Ver3.04_A.bin" ? The drone was up to date with the main firmware, I updated the "autopilot" software, as show in the controller. It was the only one that showed needing am update. I was from within the 3.04_A bin.

Was the file copied to a freshly formatted SD card?
SD Card placed in the Camera? Yes

Camera and drone powered up and allowed to fully initialize? Yes

Update triggered from the ST16 update button in the "Aircraft" section of "About Controller"? Yes

Did you get an "update successful" type message? Sure did. Did all it's reboot and everything.

Has the GUI ever worked?
Never tried it before this.

Are you absolutely certain the USB cord is data capable?
Yes it is.

Are you powering on the Typhoon H before connecting to the GUI
No.

Are you powering on the Typhoon H before connecting to the GUI
No.
Two uses of the GUI. One starts with drone off, the other starts with drone powered on.

One GUI use is to run the firmware update via the bootloader. For that, you don't power the drone.

The other use of the GUI is to check current status. For that one, you have to power the drone up and let it initialize before plugging in the USB cord.
Try powering up first and see if the flight controller is initializing far enough to show you current status items.

Reactions: Pier2162
The whole reason of my issue is because the drone is bricked. It doesn't power on. Which is why, I'm trying to do a power off update.

I've tried selecting com ports when they exist. I've clicked update and sometimes the button grays out for a minute, sometimes it does nothing.

Before the update of the so called autopilot according to the ST16, it was working great. Was able to get a couple of cool videos where I live, all the way up to 400 feet.

From what Ive rwad the power off updste is supposed to be done without the battery installed. If I do install the battery, the drone lights up and does the ascending sound like it's booting up, and then just does a repeating tone. I can get a video of what it does.

The flight control board does not need to be installed in the drone to update. We can use that fact to start eliminating any possible hardware problems. The attached videos show the methods used by @Steve Carr for accessing the flight controller.
  • Remove the battery. (For safety. It will not play a role in this update method)
  • Remove the drone top shell screws. (Refer to attached video as needed.)
  • Remove the drone top shell. (Refer to attached video as needed.)
  • Leave the USB adapter connected to the flight controller in the following step.
  • Unplug the Flight Control Board from the Main ESC board. (Refer to attached video as needed.)
  • Put something under the Flight Control board to ensure no contact with anything. (You can also just dangle it over the side of the drone.)
  • Ensure the USB cable connected on the drone end.
  • Start the GUI.
  • Select the update file.
  • Attach the USB Cable to the computer.
  • If the update does not start automatically:
    • Try to select the com port manually.
    • Click the update button.
Videos:

Last edited:
If you have powered the MCU board via USB and put the battery in it is normal that it reports an HW error and makes the sad sound. For update the flight controller FW (autopilot SW) you should not have flight battery in.
Check in device manager if an additional virtual COM port will be added when you plug in the USB cable. If yes, the COM port number should appear in device manager and this COM port should be used for update.

In update tool select the FW file, hit Update button and plug in the USB cable. The reaso is that update is started by bootloader. If the MCU board is already powered on via USB then the bootloader is already done and no update can be triggered now.
There is no need to remove the MCU board as long as the flight battery is not in.

So same issue is occurring.

The USB cable in question, is one of the ones for my two way Cameras(streaming video and audio, plus PTZ control), and I have swapped multiples of them. Including trying one of the shorter cords I use for one of my cameras I bought separately.

To me it seems like the GUI software doesn't work well(unlikely as I have tried different versions on different machines), the virtual comport drivers are junk or don't work(wouldn't surprise me since it needs compatability mode, I'm trying to grt a Win7 or WinXP machine but $$), something isn't quite right on the drone(quite possible but I'm new to Yuneec so I'll leave that to everyone else, just based on my experience and education with electronics and computer systems), no breaks in any wiring that I can find. Even disconnecting plugs at both ends and checking for continuity.

Even though this is a confirmed working data cable, I will see if I can grab any others. USB-C would be so much easier lol.

Explanation for cable issue in video.
Still nada though.

Happens with FC connected and not connected to the rest of the drone.

I did all the troubleshooting for USB. Drivers selective startup, power management, deep removal of drivers and reinstall of USB drivers.

Will try on my Win11 Machine and update if success. If no update in 10 minutes failure is still there.

In your video I can't see the COM and LPT interfaces. Those may be not shown.
Go to "View" and enable hidden devices. After that you should see if a virtual COM port is there or not. If not, then you need to check the micro USB connector, the cable to the MCU board and the connector on the board.
Update_running.png
BTW, I don't have a change at the USB controller tree when I plug/unplug the USB, only at COM/LPT tree.

Maybe you need to install the STM driver: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32102.html

I did have shown hidden devices already. I hate windows hiding crap. Wish they had a Linux version of all this stuff.

Will try the STM drivers, as you're right virtual ports aren't showing up, which is why I did the video. Always seems to be device specific too. I have working virtual ports on my Win11 machine(which I am trying everything on there as well), because I run my laser engraver off of it which requires virtual com ports. I'll try the STM drivers. Worth a shot.

Everything looks good on the connector for the USB, but if the STM fails I'll remove the connector and do a continuity test and make sure there is not cross wire shortinf.

Documentation for STM says to use the MS Inbox Driver. Thoughts? Or should I go through the process of trying to get the Win7 working on Win10?

I went ahead and installed and got working the Win 7 drivers, but still no device. USB device unrecognized.

I pulled the connectors and tested for continuity from the USB plug to the connector that connects to the FC Board, including wiggling cables while I did it. All appears to be good there. No issues. I don't believe it is a mechanical connection.

My believe is:
1. Virtual Com Port Drivers
2. I need a WinXP or Win7 Box.
3. Firmware corrupted so bad it won't allow computer to see anything.

I noticed on the bottom of the FC Board is a Micro SD Card slot. Might this be useful for anything? I do have the ability to flash at least some images to SD Cards or USB Drives.

Last edited:
the virtual comport drivers are junk or don't work(wouldn't surprise me since it needs compatability mode, I'm trying to grt a Win7 or WinXP machine but $$)
I use a Win10 laptop and use the GUI running as Admin. I do not use compatibility mode.

I attached the files I used to install the GUI and the VC redistributable from Microsoft. My machine is a 64 bit ThinkPad running the latest Win 10.

Attachments

• TyphoonHGUISetup_ V1.2.13.zip
    13.5 MB · Views: 5
  • VC_redist.zip
    27.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I use a Win10 laptop and use the GUI running as Admin. I do not use compatibility mode.

I attached the files I used to install the GUI and the VC redistributable from Microsoft. My machine is a 64 bit ThinkPad running the latest Win 10.
I'm currently stranded, lithium battery on my Harley blew up. Waiting on wife to bring new battery.
When I get home I'll remove the GUI and Redistributables using revo and then install those ones and give it another shot.

Well got gome, tried it, and EXACT same issue as in the video I posted. Windows recognizes something is there but gives the USB error. Device not recognized.

A little bit tech stuff on LINUX (Version Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia 64-bit), just for diagnosis to compare with working virtual COM port from Typhoon H. No drivers or applications to work with, just standard LINUX OS.

"lsusb" w/o connection:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 30fa:0400 USB OPTICAL MOUSE
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c248 Logitech, Inc. G105 Gaming Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0184 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5182 Card Reader
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

"lsusb" with connection to MCU-board:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 30fa:0400 USB OPTICAL MOUSE
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c248 Logitech, Inc. G105 Gaming Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0483:5740 STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0184 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5182 Card Reader
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

"dmesg | grep usb" shows following after plug-in USB to MCU-board:

[ 56.232010] usb 1-6: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[ 56.382089] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=0483, idProduct=5740, bcdDevice= 2.00
[ 56.382102] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 56.382108] usb 1-6: Product: YUNEEC TyphoonH
[ 56.382113] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: Yuneec Electric Aviation
[ 56.382118] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 0
[ 56.406755] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm

"tail -f /var/log/syslog":
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON kernel: [ 481.306010] usb 1-6: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON kernel: [ 481.455926] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=0483, idProduct=5740, bcdDevice= 2.00
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON kernel: [ 481.455941] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON kernel: [ 481.455948] usb 1-6: Product: YUNEEC TyphoonH
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON kernel: [ 481.455953] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: Yuneec Electric Aviation
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON kernel: [ 481.455958] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 0
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON kernel: [ 481.458994] cdc_acm 1-6:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 6: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-6"
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 6 was not an MTP device
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 6: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-6"
Jun 18 20:24:27 XEON mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 6 was not an MTP device
Jun 18 20:24:29 XEON ModemManager[1060]: <info> [base-manager] couldn't check support for device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-6': not supported by any plugin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCDrone