Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update from a Yuneec distributor

Reaction score
This was posted on a Typhoon H Facebook page

I'm a YUNEEC dealer based in Ireland.
I've been following the progress and advising on development of the TYPHOON H.

Ryan Kephart YUNEEC USA is currently trying to assist me with resolving the issue of switching between EU and International Firmware. They intend to reconfigure the bootloader protocols.

This will also resolve the annoying connectivity issues experienced by EU users.

There is an upgrade coming called the ST16+ with 2x external 2.4gHz antennas. Possibly also an internal patch antenna to replace the secondary internal 5.8gHz whip antenna.

Don't worry because existing ST16 radios are easily modified to the new configuration at low hardware cost.

There is also a plan to revert back to the original 98deg lens tested for the CGO3+ camera.

Better/sharper focus and no soft edges, I'm not sure why they opted for the 115deg lens.

Again the modification for existing cameras is quite easy although a little expensive.

I'm working with ITELITE to develop or actually reconfigure the range booster for the ST10+ to work on the ST16.

It already has 2x 2.4gHz ports & 1x 5.8gHz port. Only the wrong way round at the moment for the new ST16+.

Good news from Germany, there is already an antiglare screen protector for the ST24 which works on the ST16 but it's a bit too small as the screens are slightly different.

The company has already been advised of the size difference for future manufacturing.

There is an external 2.4gHz antenna kit available for the drone itself. It's a revised version of The FPV Guy's mod.

Look for it from Carolina Drones. Frank and I have already sourced the hardware. Much neater 2.75cm stubby antennas with a 2dbi gain. The 15cm 5dbi antennas Bo used are too long and a 5dbi gain is unnecessary.

Frank will be the first to have the new ITELITE antenna, the external 2.4gHz antenna kit for the H and he's already got the replacement 98deg lens for the camera.

Be on the lookout soon for a balance charger lead for the H's battery pack.

Anyone needing advice, information on product availability and sourcing, modification can feel free to contact me for information.

Most people are happy with the H; I'm dead set on improving it.

Hope the pro comes with the new lens, since pics already showed it with the new controller.

Great news
I will continue to sit tight and wait for Yuneec to get the bugs sorted out before ordering a H
Mind you I already have the soft back pack from ebay ($44.00 AU) delivered waiting to be filled with a new and improved H one day :)

I think Yuneec will need to play this very carefully with regards to owners who got the initial batches of machines. This is an expensive bit of kit and clearly not sold as a toy, so if there are 'design flaws', early adopters would have reason to feel upset if they are penalised for their support of the company.

So far, there seems to be a lot of goodwill towards Yuneec and the dealers for their proactive attitude to people with problems. I hope this can continue.

Hope the pro comes with the new lens, since pics already showed it with the new controller.

If Yuneec does revert to the previous lens, then I would think that anyone with a current lens camera who wishes the new lens should be able to return theirs to Yuneec and receive the replacement camera.

I thinking we could have a revolt soon. This constitutes a recall not more money. If you own a TH then send in your St16 and camera and they send you a new one. I know the TH was to be modular but I thought the IPS was built into my unit. Now we are told we have the beta version so live with it. Hummmmm.

Last edited:
I would definitely expect retrofits, but probably not full on replacements. Doubling the costs to the company on every unit sold to date would likely get the life cycle of the H ended near immediately. Perhaps rma and lens/antenna replacements on existing gear could be done without crippling operational expenses for the product line. And the lack of ips was pretty clear.

Last edited:
I thinking we could have a revolt soon. This constitutes a recall not more money. If you own a TH then send in your St16 and camera and they send you a new one. I know the TH was to be modular but I thought the IPS was built into my unit. Now we are told we have the beta version so live with it. Hummmmm.

I haven't seen any documentation for the Typhoon that stated the IPS was built into the standard kit, so I don't think you have much claim to a 'fix'. Buyer beware, but for a modular system you have to be very clear what is provided with a particular model - and I feel the descriptions given by the dealers and Yuneec were clear on that front. Every one of the reviews showed H's without IPS.

There's a difference here between what you thought you were getting and manufacturing issues with what you did get. Things like camera connection problems and video quality should be fixed, and I'm only going to get upset if Yuneec handle such defects badly.

Reactions: Steve Carr
OK, so I asked the distributor the following question to his statement in post 1 above

Fair point Esteves , how big an IF is it though that Yuneec will market this lens? Obviously they are aware of the issue and how dissapointed many users are so they need to do something to keep thier credibility. I love the H as a platform but as a photographer I need the improved quality. Do you have any idea what the timescale would be?
I would actually hope that they will produce a better camera all round with a better sensor, the claimed 100mbs is nowhere near.

To which he responded:

The image quality will marginally exceed the quality on the Inspire one and Phantom four with the lens upgrade from Peau, so it is worth it if you can do it.

It's a 20min job to refit but a 2hr job to accurately refocus.

But much cheaper than buying a new camera!

The H Professional will ship with the new design airline approved backpack and ST26+ but...

No news yet on the 98deg lens; YUNEEC know it works better but wether they revert is questionable?

The H was designed to compete with the P4 and Inspire 1.

If you want professional grade images you need the TORNADO and relevant camera.

Personally I've owned just about every drone wort purchasing.

I honestly believe the H is the best bang for the buck.

Don't be over expectant at the price point you paid.

Swap out the lens, change to external stubby dipoles on the H itself, modify your transmitter to a secondary external 2.4gHz port, use the new ITELITE 3 pole antenna I'm working on and you'll have more than you need.

Perfection is approached but never achieved and benefits must outweigh cost.

Reactions: bayport and segpie
Are you kidding?
This is just a joke.

Yuneec advertising was 100MBs at 30 fps and was up to 1 mile wifi connection. Both is not true, so i expect Yuneec to fix it.
Otherwise i will return the H.

Reactions: DerStig

Ryan Kephart YUNEEC USA is currently trying to assist me with resolving the issue of switching between EU and International Firmware. They intend to reconfigure the bootloader protocols.

This will also resolve the annoying connectivity issues experienced by EU users.

There is an upgrade coming called the ST16+ with 2x external 2.4gHz antennas. Possibly also an internal patch antenna to replace the secondary internal 5.8gHz whip antenna.

Don't worry because existing ST16 radios are easily modified to the new configuration at low hardware cost.

There is also a plan to revert back to the original 98deg lens tested for the CGO3+ camera.

Better/sharper focus and no soft edges, I'm not sure why they opted for the 115deg lens.

Again the modification for existing cameras is quite easy although a little expensive.

I'm working with ITELITE to develop or actually reconfigure the range booster for the ST10+ to work on the ST16.

It already has 2x 2.4gHz ports & 1x 5.8gHz port. Only the wrong way round at the moment for the new ST16+.

Good news from Germany, there is already an antiglare screen protector for the ST24 which works on the ST16 but it's a bit too small as the screens are slightly different.

The company has already been advised of the size difference for future manufacturing.

There is an external 2.4gHz antenna kit available for the drone itself. It's a revised version of The FPV Guy's mod.

Look for it from Carolina Drones. Frank and I have already sourced the hardware. Much neater 2.75cm stubby antennas with a 2dbi gain. The 15cm 5dbi antennas Bo used are too long and a 5dbi gain is unnecessary.

Frank will be the first to have the new ITELITE antenna, the external 2.4gHz antenna kit for the H and he's already got the replacement 98deg lens for the camera.

Anyone needing advice, information on product availability and sourcing, modification can feel free to contact me for information.

Rumour has it that someone in Yuneec ordered the wrong lens for the production H! Hence the launch panics when discovered

Are you kidding?
This is just a joke.

Yuneec advertising was 100MBs at 30 fps and was up to 1 mile wifi connection. Both is not true, so i expect Yuneec to fix it.
Otherwise i will return the H.
No

One final copied statement, remeber he is a distributor, yes with a vested interest but not a Yuneec employee

With the 98deg lens mod it's about a 10% improvement and worth the overpriced $140 Peau lens.

If YUNEEC revert back to a 98deg lens the Peau lens may only then offer a 3% improvement.

I don't even understand the 4K concept except for taking stills?

Which TV or laptop even displays 4K?

These things are glorified toys and nothing more.

Fun and useful for what they're designed for but nothing more.

The Inspire dropped $1000 in price the moment the H was released.

We pay far more for these toys than they're actually worth...

Let's be happy YUNEEC offer so much for a lot less money than DJI.

I can confirm that the improvement is significant with the Peau lens but installing it is easy; focusing it is the hard part.

And just so you are aware the improvement over DJI image quality is marginal.

Right now they're roughly equivalent and only a professional will see the difference; similarly with the Peau upgrade it does get better than the DJI offering but again marginally so...

You should also try Polar Pro ND filters.

Reactions: Firman
OK, so I asked the distributor the following question to his statement in post 1 above

To which he responded:

The image quality will marginally exceed the quality on the Inspire one and Phantom four with the lens upgrade from Peau, so it is worth it if you can do it.

Man. That guy puts a lot of faith in the chinese aftermarket 3.97MM lens PeauProductions and every reseller and his brother is pushing to correct something that is far deeper technically than a lens swap out to address the problem. :rolleyes:

No

One final copied statement, remeber he is a distributor, yes with a vested interest but not a Yuneec employee

With the 98deg lens mod it's about a 10% improvement and worth the overpriced $140 Peau lens.

If YUNEEC revert back to a 98deg lens the Peau lens may only then offer a 3% improvement.

I don't even understand the 4K concept except for taking stills?

Which TV or laptop even displays 4K?

These things are glorified toys and nothing more.

Fun and useful for what they're designed for but nothing more.

The Inspire dropped $1000 in price the moment the H was released.

We pay far more for these toys than they're actually worth...

Let's be happy YUNEEC offer so much for a lot less money than DJI.

I can confirm that the improvement is significant with the Peau lens but installing it is easy; focusing it is the hard part.

And just so you are aware the improvement over DJI image quality is marginal.

Right now they're roughly equivalent and only a professional will see the difference; similarly with the Peau upgrade it does get better than the DJI offering but again marginally so...

You should also try Polar Pro ND filters.
Oh thats disappointing, it does not sound like there is anything in the works on the terrible in camera processing.
Thanks for posting all this.

So what you have is what you have. That is what I'm talking bout. You want to hurt them turn your TH in. They don't want to address any problems. Hummmm

YuneecUSA
use to pop in here now and then. Would love to see something posted by Yuneec about this issue.
Clearly some QC issues at the factory, and clearly not providing a camera system as it was advertised to be.
I am very disappointed. I went with Yuneec because they seem to understand customer support.
Maybe I should send it all back and look else where, even if it cost more.

YuneecUSA
use to pop in here now and then. Would love to see something posted by Yuneec about this issue.
Clearly some QC issues at the factory, and clearly not providing a camera system as it was advertised to be.
I am very disappointed. I went with Yuneec because they seem to understand customer support.
Maybe I should send it all back and look else where, even if it cost more.
Sorta the way I'm feeling right now, Bob. I am BEYOND pissed off.

<<snip>>

<<snip>>
WTF? What's being said here? That there is a plan to "improve" the currently useless camera by reverting back to some original spec? And WE have to pick up the tab on this? Am I understanding this post correctly? I can feel my BP rising...rapidly!

Please post a link to this FB post (I could not find the post). I would personally like to retort.:mad:

Reactions: Jon Klimek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval