Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update Saga: I wondered when this would happen given the new downloading process

Reaction score
I began trying to update my software at about 7:30 am today. It would download about 10 % and then stick. After completing the download or sometimes while downloading along the way the download would just start over at 0 again. This also happened when I had finally downloaded. I would also receive Android errors and Google store error messages. Once it said all downloads and updating were current. Then the next time I booted it began trying to download again forming me there were updates.. This time however it will not move past 12% and now when I start up the controller all I get is the initial splash screen blinking on and off and android and google error messages. It will not allow me to go to Android system settings to reinstall what is obviously corrupted Android system software. I only get as far as the system icons and it bounces back to blinking splash screen.

Weeks ago when I did the first update (I had beta installed when they shipped it to me}. the whole download and update process when off seamlessly. However at the time I wrote I did not like this sort of closed loop because if corruption occurs there is no recourse. I will continue to try figuring out a solution but since I've yet to be able to move beyond a blinking splash screen and cannot get to Android system settings because of corruption I'm a bit hosed. It indicated at one point in this entire day long process it had downloaded and updated successfully then all of what I've since mentioned began to happen. Yuneec I hope you understand that the enduser needs the power as we had with the Typhoon H to be able to reload corrupted Android system and Yuneec firmware and software by 0lacing it on a micro sd card and loading it that way.

I've got work I have to shoot Thursday...

See my additional comments below about how I got things fixed after posting the above.

Last edited:
We flew the h + today and the owner stated that he wasn't going to do the update until it was needed. It's unfortunate that the first buyers are guinea pigs for Yuneec. Any way to go back to the previous firmware?

We flew the h + today and the owner stated that he wasn't going to do the update until it was needed. It's unfortunate that the first buyers are guinea pigs for Yuneec. Any way to go back to the previous firmware?
As it often seems to happen once I'd posted my message I tried again and was able to gain access to the Android system settings and erase all software and successfully and easily replace the corrupted Android and Yuneec software. I'm now doing calibration and settings since everything was erased and all is going well. If anyone has these sorts of problems I've spoken of here the solution is the following. (like previous procedure on H) Go>Android (leaving Yuneec interface) and click the settings Icon scroll to bottom of settings list where you will find BACK-UP AND RESET click then choose Factory Data Reset...this will purge your system of software and all settings. You will have to download software with updater and rebind camera. Both Android and Yuneec reload then you merely go to "Check for Updates"
to get most current versions. Once installed don't forget to go in and change the settings from
their defaults to what you normally use. Flight height Geo Fence, Image Quality and Format etc.

I think what I've done will address many of the issues I've been having.

Last edited:
I'm now running latest, I started with beta as you know now I'm using what you've got running 0801, camera, controller and app software ver is 1.0.10 build is 801 but I'm glad I no longer have remnants
of anything else. I never got the chattering or micro vibrations others have referred to except briefly before I rebooted after update. Cheers

Reactions: Ty Pilot
@Mickeyboo and @thoneter what firmware version are you running? I've got the 0801 and it seems stable - a few minor things but so far so good.
I don't know what version he's running. He bought it 2 weeks ago and did a lot of research before going out and flying the H. Gotta give him kudos for doing that. He felt it would probably lead to more issues trying to upgrade his + before flying.

Reactions: PatR and Ty Pilot
I don't know what version he's running. He bought it 2 weeks ago and did a lot of research before going out and flying the H. Gotta give him kudos for doing that. He felt it would probably lead to more issues trying to upgrade his + before flying.
So he is likely using 0801 as well I am guessing

I'm now running latest, I started with beta as you know now I'm using what you've got running 0801, camera, controller and app software ver is 1.0.10 build is 801 but I'm glad I no longer have remnants
of anything else. I never got the chattering or micro vibrations others have referred to except briefly before I rebooted after update. Cheers

Glad you got it fixed Mickeyboo

I would also receive Android errors and Google store error messages. Once it said all downloads and updating were current. Then the next time I booted it began trying to download again forming me there were updates.. This time however it will not move past 12% and now when I start up the controller all I get is the initial splash screen blinking on and off and android and google error messages. It will not allow me to go to Android system settings to reinstall what is obviously corrupted Android system software. I only get as far as the system icons and it bounces back to blinking splash screen.

@Mickeyboo , I had exactly the situation you described with TWO exceptions:
  1. I did not try to update the firmware, the errors just started occurring and got progressively worse until the system would do nothing but flash the splash screen. Wish I had been smart enough to get into the Android OS before it was completely bricked ( see #2 ).
  2. none of the buttons at the bottom worked so I could not enter the android OS GUI. After dealing with Yuneec for a few days, they sent me an RMA on Friday. I boxed it up and delivered it to UPS last Saturday. Today it started on its way to Yuneec for repair/replace.

So we now have two instances of corrupted Android OS bricking and almost-bricking the ST16S.

All the more reason to make software files available online for download to an SD card. It’s also good reason to copy and save the old files from the system before initiating an update.

Reactions: oliver
As it often seems to happen once I'd posted my message I tried again and was able to gain access to the Android system settings and erase all software and successfully and easily replace the corrupted Android and Yuneec software. I'm now doing calibration and settings since everything was erased and all is going well. If anyone has these sorts of problems I've spoken of here the solution is the following. (like previous procedure on H) Go>Android (leaving Yuneec interface) and click the settings Icon scroll to bottom of settings list where you will find BACK-UP AND RESET click then choose Factory Data Reset...this will purge your system of software and all settings. You will have to download software with updater and rebind camera. Both Android and Yuneec reload then you merely go to "Check for Updates"
to get most current versions. Once installed don't forget to go in and change the settings from
their defaults to what you normally use. Flight height Geo Fence, Image Quality and Format etc.

I think what I've done will address many of the issues I've been having.

Thank you for this Mickeyboo, I actually had this thought when my cam was acting up after the 801 update, I just didn't dare to go for it if I would end up with a blank ST16S and a broken cam. But it is really great to hear that in case of future issues it is safe to reset the controller to factory defaults, and it will reinstall the flight app as well.

Thank you for this Mickeyboo, I actually had this thought when my cam was acting up after the 801 update, I just didn't dare to go for it if I would end up with a blank ST16S and a broken cam. But it is really great to hear that in case of future issues it is safe to reset the controller to factory defaults, and it will reinstall the flight app as well.
You're most welcome, one thing I should have mentioned is that you may have to also rebind the H+. It's a very easy procedure. Just start up the H+ (leave controller shut off) turn the H+ upside down and hold it until all the lights are blinking yellow (you've now set it in binding mode) then turn on your controller and tap the Gear Icon upper right on controller screen and then tap the Icon which is vertical lines this will allow you to rebind H+ as well as C23 depending on which you choose to be bound. When things slow down a bit perhaps I can produce a short video on the various steps from resetting Android and reinstall of updated software and rebinding...

When things slow down a bit perhaps I can produce a short video on the various steps from resetting Android and reinstall of updated software and rebinding...

Da slow kid in da back thanks you! We love pikturs n stuff... :p

Moderator note: Cute Eagle. But we know you ain't "Da slow kid". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you leave the camera mounted when doing the binding???
Yes I left camera attached...I will be flying tomorrow or Thursday to see how things have gone but all signs point to a successful recovery and a larger knowledge pool on how to deal with corruption in the field should it ever happen again. It's worth noting that as Ty Pilot surmises that calibration prior to update may eliminate problem of gimbal micro vibrations and the other anomalies people have mentioned when do the latest update. As previously stated prior to my dealing at the Android level and erasing all installed programs my download took almost an entire day. Once I had cleaned things up it downloaded and installed in a few minutes.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
In regards to the factory reset, was just sitting and watching a video on Youtube by Fan Thomas and he experienced some issues as well and had to restore the ST16S. However, he showed that you couldn't reset the controller without making sure you had the app in the yuneecOTA/app directory.

Just checked mine and on mine, the app doesn't exist in that specific folder its is just empty @Mickeyboo could you confirm this so one of us don't end up with a useless remote in case of future incidents
?
In all fairness my German isn't that good so I might have misunderstood him :-/ He describes it after 2 minute mark here:

Perhaps if some of you have the apk in that folder you could share it here :)

In regards to the factory reset, was just sitting and watching a video on Youtube by Fan Thomas and he experienced some issues as well and had to restore the ST16S. However, he showed that you couldn't reset the controller without making sure you had the app in the yuneecOTA/app directory.

Just checked mine and on mine, the app doesn't exist in that specific folder its is just empty @Mickeyboo could you confirm this so one of us don't end up with a useless remote in case of future incidents
?
In all fairness my German isn't that good so I might have misunderstood him :-/ He describes it after 2 minute mark here:

Perhaps if some of you have the apk in that folder you could share it here :)
All I can tell you is what I did and it worked. It is the same procedure with the H as the H+ as for folders all of this was preinstalled by Yuneec and is automatically reloaded into the proper folder upon reset...the first time you reboot everything is where it's supposed to be you just need to bind camera and H+. There is no need to deal with any folders according to my experience which is all I can go on but I stress placement and removal is an automated process which the enduser does not interact with so I can't imagine how folders could become an issue. If you think you can't bind the camera or H+ (which is all you have to do besides changing default settings) then send it in and wait weeks for it to come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbernholdt
Thanks @Mickeyboo! My ST16s is in some sort of bootup loop. I have been able to get into the android OS and have found the backup/ reset in the settings menu. Above, you referenced having to go download everything again. Where did you go to that? Does the ST16s prompt you to do this? Other threads have referenced backing up the folders mentioned above and forcing them back into the controller. Your method sounds easier, but don't want to reset and find out I deleted something I need to get the H+ working again.

The process of resetting reloads what you need to boot properly it will reload and update Android operating system and perform Android updates if needed as part of the reset process. Once that is completely and it reboots you may have to rebind the H+ to the controller... those instructions are above in another post...feel free to contact with more questions if you have them...if you wish to backup the old stuff prior to all of the above go ahead (I did not it was horribly corrupted and began with beta version so why would I want to save it)

Reactions: ricky_martian
The process of resetting reloads what you need to boot properly it will reload and update Android operating system and perform Android updates if needed as part of the reset process. Once that is completely and it reboots you may have to rebind the H+ to the controller... those instructions are above in another post...feel free to contact with more questions if you have them...if you wish to backup the old stuff prior to all of the above go ahead (I did not it was horribly corrupted and began with beta version so why would I want to save it)
The corrupt data is my concern as well. Thanks for the quick response. I went into the flightmode 2.0 app and "cleared data". Shut down the controller and rebooted. Seems to be working, but I don't know if I have to re-bind to the H+ yet. We're starting to get the outer bands of the hurricane out there. Will test tomorrow when things begin to clear up. Again, thank you for your help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval