Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

[UPDATE v0.930] PLAN to RPS converter for H480 (survey missions)

So do I and it is the one that will allow you to select the H920 model.

It was that you mentioned not having to buy a TH Plus to do mapping and surveying, and I was letting you know that it does not have that capability using Yuneec software. Only the H520 does.
Thank you. Just the waypoint feature alone is all I needed. With your help, I now have it.

Just so you know, the Typhoon H Plus does not have mapping and surveying built into its software. You have to have the H520 to do that, using the DataPilot app that is used to plan these missions. The H Plus does not have the ability to switch to the H920 model that @howfastyes has made the converter for.
So can I just flash the 520 softweair and download Data Poilet to my ST16Plus?

So can I just flash the 520 softweair and download Data Poilet to my ST16Plus?
The ST16S can be converted from H Plus to H520 and vice versa, but the aircraft cannot be. The H520 software cannot be used to control the H Plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: Mike Irish
Just be careful when flying in waypoint mode, read Yuneec Manual for Waypoint App H920 and practice how and when to use S4 switch.
Check first post for tutorials and workflow if you are interested in survey missions.

Remember this mode can't control CGO3+ camera(or it is very limited) and converter is made for MAPPING/SURVEY missions, not cinematic shots etc.

After spending 120 minutes in air with H480 in Waypoint mode i can tell you this is the cheapest platform for mapping, it's not user friendly, it's not easy, but for 400$ you can't buy anything close to H480 with CGO3+.

This month i'm doing a <100 acres mission, got half of it for now and for next parts of this mission i'll be using two ST16's and maybe i'll make a short video from the field.

Stay safe Pilots.

My wish would be to have something similar that will work for the H PLUS.
The PLUS & 520 are so similar.
Being able to run/use DataPilot on the PLUS would be something I'd be willing to purchase.
Give it some thought, please.

Reactions: Mike Irish
Waypoint app is build in the ST16 controller, it's impossible to bind H+ as H920 so it won't work for H+.
Only H480 or H920.

My wish would be to have something similar that will work for the H PLUS.
The PLUS & 520 are so similar.
Being able to run/use DataPilot on the PLUS would be something I'd be willing to purchase.
Give it some thought, please.
I downloaded DataPilet to my 16S and tried a test flight. The H plus this lift off and the Controlled did warn me before liftoff however the H plus lifted off to about twenty or so feet and then landed? I had two programs on my controller for one for the H plus and the onter DataPilet for the H520!! I just had to select the HPlus and the H flu without any problem. I only tried it once and then decided to remove the DataPilot program from the controller. I will try again when the weather finally gets better here and the traveling restrictions are lifted.
Mike

Looks like H+ and H520 use the same flight controller, so yes you can bind H+ with DataPilot app by turning aircraft upside down and it should fly as H520 but what about camera? DataPilot doesn't support C23, maybe you can connect to get preview but i wonder if there is any way to control C23 with DataPilot app. If it's possible would be great. Great quality for maps and models with this camera can be achieved.

Reactions: davemh
Looks like H+ and H520 use the same flight controller, so yes you can bind H+ with DataPilot app by turning aircraft upside down and it should fly as H520 but what about camera? DataPilot doesn't support C23, maybe you can connect to get preview but i wonder if there is any way to control C23 with DataPilot app. If it's possible would be great. Great quality for maps and models with this camera can be achieved.
The C23 and E90 are the same camera, so there is a possibility it may work if you can get DataPilot to control the H+.

Reactions: howfastyes
I currently have a spare/extra ST16S controller. Remember DoomMeister?
I don't mind experimenting (especially now with no C23 camera) with DataPilot on a controller.
I'm not sure of the process and can I bind the ST16S to the PLUS using DataPilot.
I did see a video that Steve Carr did installing DataPilot on a ST16S, but assume it was for a H520.

Would be game to give it a try.

I currently have a spare/extra ST16S controller. Remember DoomMeister?
I don't mind experimenting (especially now with no C23 camera) with DataPilot on a controller.
I'm not sure of the process and can I bind the ST16S to the PLUS using DataPilot.
I did see a video that Steve Carr did installing DataPilot on a ST16S, but assume it was for a H520.

Would be game to give it a try.
Check with @Steve Carr on the procedure for installing DataPilot on your ST16S. You can always swap back to the H+ software later. The whole idea is to see if the H+ can be controlled with the DataPilot and if the C23 is recognized as an E90. Is your C23 totaled? I knew your GiFi battery lost a cell mid-flight, such a tragedy.

The ST16s can be used for either the H520 or the H Plus depending on the software you install. However, the aircraft main board is model specific and can't be modified.
The C23 and E90 can be used on either model. You must connect to the camera in the Android Wifi Menu before the camera will be recognized.

Reactions: davemh
This post will be updated regularly.
PLAN2 version 0.930 is released (11th June 2020)

IMPORTANT: All pilots, do not fly your H480 in Waypoint mode, it's not approved by Yuneec, not safe, not tested enough.

Duplicate genuine model H920 in Model Select menu, rename for something like H-Waypoints if you want and select this model(this will unbind any binded AC).

View attachment 21996

Put your H480 into binding mode and bind as you always do under System settings / Bind menu.
From now you have hidden Waypoint mode.

View attachment 21997

People will talk about safety now. I'll tell them again: H480 and H920 got the same flight controller. Flying H480 binded as H920 is the same safety level. Period.

Survey Mode
Mission Start TAB
full

Survey TAB
full

Camera Settings for CGO3+:

Sensor Width: 5.60mm
Sensor Height: 4.20mm
Image: W: 4000px, H: 3000px
Focal lenght: 2.8mm

Front lap: fixed by Timelapse, can be increased by lower flight speed.
Side lap: >70% for 2D maps, >85% for 3D models

Angle: Set for best/fastest route
Rotate entry point to fit your needs and conditions

Images in turnarounds have to be turned on for better Statistics

Statistics will tell you how much pictures you need and estimate survey area.

Install information
Installation is easy, just extract *.zip file to any directory.
Do not use this directory for *.plan, *.rps or *.kml files.

Good directory example:
Install example driectory: C:\Yuneec\PLANtoRPS
Input/output files directory: C:\Yuneec\Missions or any directory outside app dir.

Bad directory example (files will be sent to '%localappdata%/PLANtoRPS/' directory):
Install example driectory: C:\Yuneec\PLANtoRPS
Input/output files directory: C:\Yuneec\PLANtoRPS\Missions

Survey mode
full

POI mode
full

Hover time feature issue
If you want to use hover feature you have to set Planned Home as FIRST waypoint, otherwise mission won't start and you will get "Execute Error" message.

Camera Tilt issue
Camera tilt during POI mode is set to MANUAL, you have to set tilt manually and you can adjust tilt during POI mission.

For now my advice is to read Yuneec's H920 User Manual
Waypoint App Tutorial is from page 21 to page 29
https://us.yuneec.com/files/downloads/h920/H920_Plus_User_Manual_V3.0.pdf

Soon i'll update simple tutorial on how to use Waypoint App with H480.
Most of features are disabled or limited for H480.

Limits for H480 in Waypoint mode:
Max. speed: 5 m/s
Max. number of waypoints: 99 (to be confirmed)
Max. mission distance: 5000m (16 400ft) - to execute big missions use SPLIT feature (PLANtoRPS)

Panic/failsafe: flick S4 switch (from Angle to Smart to Angle) and you will gain full control of the aircraft immidiately.

Min. voltage: 14.3V (first warning) - after first battery warning mission is canceled and you gain full control of the aircraft (it will lower altitude to 60 meters as always)

GPS lost during mission: mission will be canceled and aircraft will switch to Angle mode, you gain control of the aircraft and "GPS Error" warning will pop up.

Waypoint Mode: Status Led will blink slowly between GREEN and PURPLE during mission.
Execute Error: Status Led will blink fast BLUE (aircraft reconnect with ST16).

Mission files location on ST16:
'Internal storage/routes/'

Two ST16's: You can use second ST16 for camera preview, manual camera settings (iso,shutter,white balance), you can switch between photo/video, you can format SD card, you can start and stop timelapse, camera tilt and pan is still under main station control. Do not use Team mode, both ST16 in Single Mode, just connect(bind) second ST16 to camera only.

Yuneec DataPilot Mission Planner:
1. Select Survey Mode
2. Set Altitude and Speed (Mission Start Tab).
3. Set Planned Home if you want to use it as a first and/or last waypoint.
4. Click on map to create polygon and mark the area of survey.
5. Go to Survey Tab and select CUSTOM CAMERA, enter all data as follows:

• Sensor Width: 5.60mm
  • Sensor Height: 4.20mm
  • Image: W: 4000px, H: 3000px
  • Focal lenght: 2.8mm
6. Go to Survey Tab and set Angle for best flight path, set Turnaround Dist. to 0 and play with Side Lap for more/less ground resolution.
Front lap is defined by timelapse speed so we can change it only by slowing down or speeding up whole flight.
7. Save *.plan file.

View attachment 22028

View attachment 22029

PLAN2 converter:
1. Select Survey Mode and load your *.plan file
2. Save KML file. (for Google)
3. Save RPS file. (for H480)

View attachment 22030

Google Earth:
1. Review your KML file in Google Earth. Check consistency and make sure it's safe, as you planned.

View attachment 22031

Waypoint App:
1. Copy your *.rps file to ST16/routes/ folder.
2. Switch to waypoint mode and load your mission. Check all parameters match planned mission data (altitude, speed etc.). Mission is ready to fly.

Ready to fly:
1. Power on ST16 and H480. Do your safety check list before setting props.
2. Set RTH altitude same as mission altitude (failsafe).
3. Set camera for Timelapse mode.
4. Gimbal control switch S1 middle (-) position and switch S2 middle (-) position.
5. Make sure you have good GPS signal on both ST16 and H480.
6. Go to Camera/Task and switch to Waypoint App.

7. Takeoff manually or use left menu button to take off.
8. Climb up to safe altitude.
9. Set gimbal to -90 pitch before you start mission (look at the ground).
10. Start the mission.
11. Before aircraft reach first waypoint you should press Photo Button to start Timelapse.

(You will get info about Picture Taken but don't worry, that means Timelapse is running, you can't turn it off until you switch off Waypoint mode.)

screenshot_2020-05-22-17-13-07-png.22013

screenshot_2020-05-22-17-14-40-png.22014

Yuneec DataPilot Mission Planner:
1. Select ROI from left menu
2. Choose your point of interest
3. Set Planned home point.
4. Save *.plan file.

View attachment 21998

PLAN2 converter:
1. Select POI MODE and load your *.plan file
2. Set all parameters.
3. Export KML file
4. Export RPS file.

View attachment 21999

Google Earth Web:
1. Review your KML file in Google Earth Web, make sure it's safe and all data is correct.

View attachment 22000

H480 Waypoint App:
1. Copy *.rps file on /ST16/routes/ folder and load it into Waypoint App.
Ready to fly.

View attachment 22001

Notice Waypoint 20 is faceing North instead of POI, this is Waypoint App bug, data is good, camera will face East (POI) but visual representation of this waypoint will be North. This has no affect on how the aircraft and camera will behave. It always happens for East and West waypoints, do not worry, just ignore.

After loading *.rps file into H480 Waypoint App, there is no need to change any settings but of course you can modify all parameters.
People who have done building/structure 3d scans will understand this easly, with survey mode and poi mode you can make very detailed 3D scans.
Hi Howfastyes,
How are the Camera Settings for CGOET?

Reactions: feelmyenergy
WAYPOINTS ON H480 - VIA H920

Just to remind everyone, waypoints work very well on H480, and you can create a waypoint route on-line using a very nice tool/website - at home 24/7 in comfort !

CCC editor for typhoon H - by Eric EMMANUEL

(plz donate $ to website if you like the tool !! I Did !!)

After completing the route (editing for Start, next location - height, cam angle and Yam of cam of each location on route), you then Name the file (" ".ccc), download the file to computer, put on SD card and copy onto the ST16 in folder:

root\Internal storage\flightmode\mission_data\YourWayPointRoute.ccc

You can store many waypoint files there, so name them well and re-use them if desired.

You fly it just like a CCC created route, so speed depends on your start speed.

PS: it is a nice way to plan your flight and whether you use or not, you get to see/visualize BEFORE you go fly there, and tool gives length of flight which can help plan for battery use also !

Enjoy !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys!

I've tried to do a mission binding Typhoon H like H920 but after i've switch on Waypoint mode ST16 ask me that the drone is locked and i can't start the mission. What's the problem?

Hi guys!

I've tried to do a mission binding Typhoon H like H920 but after i've switch on Waypoint mode ST16 ask me that the drone is locked and i can't start the mission. What's the problem?
Make sure you read everything in @howfastyes thread [UPDATE v0.930] PLAN to RPS converter for H480 (survey missions) before using this to fly.

I had intended to investigate his work months ago, but due to life I never got to it. I will start looking into this and see where it leads, You may want to try contacting those that responded to hisa thread what things they encountered in using his workflow.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I just went through his workflow for a ROI (in DataPilot) and when I used the launch button after loading the RPS file into the Waypoint mission type I got the Aircraft Locked warning.

I then armed the motors and pressed the launch button. At that point it warned me I was closer than 5 meters between the controller and aircraft.

This leads me to believe the Aircraft Locked message actually means “Motors Not Armed”. If I get a chance I’ll try to fly the mission tomorrow. I’ll report back after I get a chance to fly.

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to fly the ROI mission I planned the other day. I took the H480 to the site and loaded the mission in the Waypoint application for the H920+. I armed the motors and swiped to start the mission then used the launch soft key to lift off. It rose to about 6 feet and hovered there. I then pressed the Play soft key and it said there was no running mission. I then reloaded the mission and swiped to start it. Now pressing Play launched the mission.

As the aircraft got to the first waypoint for the ROI it paused but no photo was taken. Same thing at position 2, so at position 3 I started pressing the shutter button. So it seems you need to trigger the camera yourself. Not a problem for a person doing this type of work on a budget or just starting out and building their business.

I plan to set up a mapping mission soon and give it a go. At this point I am pleased with the work that @howfastyes put into his Plan2RPS converter.

I am very interested in getting this workflow in action. But, not sure whether something has changed with Google.
- In the Waypoint App in the H920 (Model Select) I get the following error when Google Maps is selected "dronefly won't run without google play services which are not supported by your device". It does display a map under AMap (but I believe this only covers China). The Google Map app still works fine (which may be licenced differently)
- If I then go into the Play Store app, I get the following message "Authentication is required. You need to sign into your Google Account". I tried all the suggested internet fixes of clearing caches etc. I tried with and without Google accounts - made no difference.

On a side note, and maybe its just me, but I cannot locate the "/routes/" folder on my ST16 referred to in the instructions for placing the .rps file

Advice from the Brains Trust most welcome

Update: The issue appears to be on one of my ST16s only (may need a factory reset).
Update 2: Factory reset resolved Google Connection Service issue

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval