Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video recordings only in 5min segments?

Reaction score
Hi, I am sure there is an answer for this here somewhere, but buggered if I know where to find it.
I have noticed that when filming in 4K the video is recorded in one complete segment, however, when I drop it down to 1920 (for example) then it only records the video in 5 minute segments on the card.
Does anyone know if there is a reason for this and whether I can over ride this?

Not a big problem as I can just join the clips and edit as normal, but I just don't understand why the storage system is different when going from 4K to something else.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I have the same issue with my Q500 with the cg02+ since I got it. The camera always splits my video into 2 separate folder for one flight. One folder would be around 15-17 mins and the second folder is around 5-6 min. I have called yuneec on this and they tell me to try reformatting the card which I have done several times with no help. I just live with it....I just got my H pro last week but I haven'r flown it yet. hopefully it doesn't do the same thing. I would like to have one continuous video of the flight...

It will. The card formatting establishes the file lengths for the data input. Just stitch the files together in your video editor.

Many video cameras do this especially when shooting higher resolutions. I shoot everything in 4K and get 5 min clips. It's normal. *** PatR says, you just put the clips in your editor and they stitch together seamlessly.

So, this issue has more to do with the type of card, or the formatting on that card?
Makes sense. The card that came with my YTH was the one that would record 4K in one segment. I then used a larger card (currently 32GB/ class 10) and that is when I noticed the clips cut into smaller segments.
I do recall reading about making sure the cards are at least rated to USH 4. My card in question is UHS1 - maybe that is the issue??

So, this issue has more to do with the type of card, or the formatting on that card?
Makes sense. The card that came with my YTH was the one that would record 4K in one segment. I then used a larger card (currently 32GB/ class 10) and that is when I noticed the clips cut into smaller segments.
I do recall reading about making sure the cards are at least rated to USH 4. My card in question is UHS1 - maybe that is the issue??
Actually the card should have a 3 inside the U symbol. A U1 may be too slow. Yuneec specifies a U3 and that is what they supply. However, this is a function of file size rather than time. At least that's what I've been told.
If it records in 5 min segments it's really okay. If something happens to your recording you would only lose the last recording and not the whole thing.

I really prefer the smaller segments because my pc doesn't like large video files. It will freeze if I try to play them.

Actually the card should have a 3 inside the U symbol. A U1 may be too slow. Yuneec specifies a U3 and that is what they supply. However, this is a function of file size rather than time. At least that's what I've been told.
If it records in 5 min segments it's really okay. If something happens to your recording you would only lose the last recording and not the whole thing.

You're spot on Steve. I just checked the card that was supplied with the YTH and it is a U-3. The card I am currently using in the camera is a U-1 and that must be why I have noticed the difference. Just placed an order for 3 new cards (32GB U-3). No problems with my computer playing back the larger file sizes.

Reactions: Steve Carr
You're spot on Steve. I just checked the card that was supplied with the YTH and it is a U-3. The card I am currently using in the camera is a U-1 and that must be why I have noticed the difference. Just placed an order for 3 new cards (32GB U-3). No problems with my computer playing back the larger file sizes.
Good deal. But........all the cards I'm using are U3 and I still get 5 minute clips recording 4K video. This was also the case with the 4K camera on the Q500. As I said earlier, many high end video cameras do the 5 min clips.

^^ Strange...With the original card (U-3) from Yuneec, I was getting my 4K clips in their entirety, not in 5 minute bundles. I wonder whether this is actually part of the new FW and not the card??

^^ Strange...With the original card (U-3) from Yuneec, I was getting my 4K clips in their entirety, not in 5 minute bundles. I wonder whether this is actually part of the new FW and not the card??
You could try to format the card as exFAT. The camera will accept that. The exFAT format allows larger file size than FAT32.

Reactions: Joel Lukacher
^^ Thanks. I'll look into that when I get some time. Got the gear packed away now - heading out on the water in the early hours for some aerial footage.

Reactions: Steve Carr
There's a 2Gb file size limit on FAT16 and a 4Gb file limit on Fat32 formatted cards. The limit on exFAT is huge.

Most video devices split files, and don't take notice of the file system - they just split at the 2Gb/4Gb size regardless and require you to have a 'minimum spec' card that has the appropriate format.

Yuneec are a little unusual for splitting at a time rather than a size (though it makes much more sense from an editing point of view than having unpredictable splits).

One small advantage of the split is that the parts are closed properly, so if you have a crash or power failure, only the last segment can be lost.

Well, I had the same situation and I ask yuneec and the answer was because of the processor is all it can handle and record pretty much videos is recorded as a image and then push in the memory card I think that was the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop