Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

View location on map during flight

Reaction score
I'm flying the Typhoon H Plus, and I think it would be really cool if I could view its location in real-time on a separate computer or tablet. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
I have thought about
1. Is it possible to connect the wifi to st16s and another device at the same time?
2. Connect the ST16S to a computer or tablet via USB cable and pull the drone's location out real-time.

It's just for fun, so I wanted to use existing resources. i.e., no new trackers or radios, etc.

1. Yes, but you need a SW that decodes the MAVlink messages. It is worth to check if QGroundControl can be connected to it via IP 192.168.44.x (x>1 and <255).
2. As far as I know, not.

br HE

Reactions: Trav H
UAVTOOLBOX?
After the flight yes, but during the flight no. Once you exit the Flight app the controller and aircraft unbind and the auto RTH would ensue.

Heres the easiest way, just change the mainboard with the 520 board, and it'll be right there on the controller while your flyin ?

If you change the mainboard you have to change the ST16 and also have to change the camera. Better to by a new drone ;-).

However, he wants to feed a second/external device for that. My best approach is a tablet or phone with QGroundControl. But due to missing H Plus I have no chance to test this.

br HE

Reactions: DoomMeister
If you change the mainboard you have to change the ST16 and also have to change the camera. Better to by a new drone ;-).

However, he wants to feed a second/external device for that. My best approach is a tablet or phone with QGroundControl. But due to missing H Plus I have no chance to test this.

br HE
I understood he has the H+, if so you only need the board, along with the firmware/ Data pilot, and the 23 works as well ?

1. Yes, but you need a SW that decodes the MAVlink messages. It is worth to check if QGroundControl can be connected to it via IP 192.168.44.x (x>1 and <255).
2. As far as I know, not.

br HE
I have been able to connect QGroundControl to the HPlus, but only before booting the ST16S. And then the ST16S won't fully connect - I have NOT (and won't) dreamed of flying like this... Sadly, I have not been able to connect ST16S first and fully and then any other devices. Keep the ideas coming! I bet a solution is out there.

A good solution will be to sniff the whole communication from all drones in the vicinity and to show the position and few parameters on the screen. I want to have an application like this one, but I alone can't arrange it from A to Z.

A good candidate as a starting point is mentioned QGroundControl. As a sniffer, we can use very cheap USB receivers available on eBay. There is no need to bind to anything because the device works in passive listening mode.

This cool man gives a free protocol analyzer, based on the very cheap USB dongle, available everywhere. The decoder works with H480. If someone has the necessary skills to prepare something useful, I'm ready to help with ideas, tests, troubleshooting, etc. As a programmer, I'm very unskilled, but if something should be engineered, reversed, hacked, with all my humbly, I'm the right man for cooperation.

All links are on the video page. The solution from TI is tested by me and works. The decoder didn't test by me, because I have not a suitable compiler and skills to prepare a .exe file from the sources.

I have a few drones and ST16, so I can test real flight situations in the near vicinity. If the project goes well, we can add midair collision avoidance for compatible drones and so on.

Coworkers are welcome!

Reactions: johnnyb57
That guy cracks me up. Have not finished the whole video yet, but it looks like a great possibility! Thank you!

update - I connected a laptop to the c23 wifi (after H+ and ST16S were both running and connected and stable), then started QgroundControl, and using the following was able to see drone position - have not tested outdoors, still kinda cold for that.

Go to QGC settings - comm links - add a com link
  • Type - UDP
  • Port 14540
The source I found for this awesome info was here: QGC and the Yuneec Typhoon H+ & H520 (near the bottom)

That link also contains instructions for video, I was able to get that to work as well. On both a laptop and an android tablet w/ QGC.

Thanks to those who shared info on this, your ideas and recommendations kept me curious.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval