Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Water-treated Typhoon H

I think the video addressed most concerns of multi-rotors might have. Heat dissipation, ESC, brushless motors and what to do if you have to get to a connection or solder joint with a solder gun *AFTER* you've coated it with CorrosionX.

I have used CorrosionX, epoxy and other products to waterproof drone electronics with good success. The only failure I have had was a gimbal circuit board that I coated with Liquid Electrical Tape. I can see that disassembling the H and coating the electronics should provide good protection when flying in rain or snow. Some care must be exercised though. If you coat the barometer, it may not work right. ESC's are best coated with epoxy. CorrosionX works well for most things. The motors are not bothered by water. Cameras are a real problem. You cannot coat the sensor, so the lens and sensor must be completely sealed. Radio circuits may be detuned by applying stuff to the board. Even if the board is protected, getting water drops on the board or antennas may detune them.
My interest is not flying in the rain but surviving a splashing or dunking in whitewater, and most importantly, recovering the aircraft if it crashes in water. This is only possible if it is waterproof and floating. I have built several quads this way. Sealing up the shell creates some challenges. You must vent the barometer to atmosphere without letting water in. Also you must dissipate heat from the ESC's.
I have had good luck with the Dex shells for my waterproof quads.

Reactions: Windluv and rdonson
That video is from Denis, the guy in Croatia who makes the Dex shells.You can see more of his shells and videos here:
DeXModels | Professional Multirotors
I checked into their larger units for pricing, but they did not respond. I'd bet the octo is in the stratosphere. I want to fly in the rain/snow but without breaking the bank, so opted for this:
Aperture Hexacopter Aerial Photography Drone (RTF) (Mode 2)

I bought one last year but returned it; defective. The radio and likely most of the electronics including the motors are junk, but now at $449 the frame alone is worth much more, so went for it again. I needed a large stable frame that is water resistant (no need for a submarine) in flight and will hover steady for a 30x zoom camera I've had for a while but nothing really suitable to put it on.

So this time around a genuine Pixhawk quality FC and quality components will go into the Aperture.

Reactions: rdonson
I checked into their larger units for pricing, but they did not respond. I'd bet the octo is in the stratosphere. I want to fly in the rain/snow but without breaking the bank, so opted for this:
Aperture Hexacopter Aerial Photography Drone (RTF) (Mode 2)

I bought one last year but returned it; defective. The radio and likely most of the electronics including the motors are junk, but now at $449 the frame alone is worth much more, so went for it again. I needed a large stable frame that is water resistant (no need for a submarine) in flight and will hover steady for a 30x zoom camera I've had for a while but nothing really suitable to put it on.

So this time around a genuine Pixhawk quality FC and quality components will go into the Aperture.
Yes, I saw that Aperture hex recently. The price is cheap. I considered getting one but I have too many multirotors now that I don't fly much.
The Dex shells are not cheap, especially the carbon fiber ones. I have 3 of the Dex 50 models and two of the Dex minis.

edit. This is not my clip. I thought some may be interested in having this done to their H.

yes I use my Typhoon H for Search and Rescue, I used it today to Find a Dying Bleeding dog that went missing 2 days ago. the drone found her in a Water basin over 1 acre wide.
only issue is it was RAINING, and the rain caused my motor to blow and the copter landed Itself in that spot, in a Tree. I had to go and find it. thank god for the Alarm that goes off on the unit.

i need to Water Proof my new unit Asap. please send me the companies link and info.

yes ive seen that video. they also have a video of a Waterproof Yuneec Q500 that they did, in the video the guy is soaking the quadcopter with the hose for 2 mins straight and the unit doesnt move at all from the 6 ft position. its amazing. but again there no info on how to contact them. so if you know how to contact them. (apparently, its a 3rd party private company.) please share the info. thanks

John Spat
Save-A-Dog Animal Protection Service Inc.

i need to Water Proof my new unit Asap. please send me the companies link and info.

yes ive seen that video. they also have a video of a Waterproof Yuneec Q500 that they did, in the video the guy is soaking the quadcopter with the hose for 2 mins straight and the unit doesnt move at all from the 6 ft position. its amazing.
Save-A-Dog Animal Protection Service Inc.

I'd like to see a video from the same Q after a week or so, to see if it is still as good as during the soaking session.
Like to see it fly before any service intervention of course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shalinishn18