Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What airports are "real"?

Apparently they've changed it to "don't do it if you can avoid it" since Trump's policy went into effect. When I registered my Q500 in February, I did see it stated in the regulations.

For dmfnewjersey,

Read the 107 regs again. Pay attention to the part about controlled airspace and waivers. As a 107 pilot you are required to obtain a waiver before flying within 5 miles of a controlled airport, or any other within Class A, B, C, or D airport or in any Class G airspace underlying controlled airspace surrounding those airports. Note that most international and terminal airports have a control zone much larger than 5 miles.

Last edited:
What drone are you using to fly in class A airspace? From my understanding, a 107 pilot can fly under the wedding cake if it's class G...just not the center. If I understand what you are saying, that would mean you had to get a waiver for the outer shelf of a class C (my closest would be around 5-10 miles radius from 1200-4000ft) and much further from a class B (whatever boundary for the third tier happens to be). You would not be able to fly anywhere in most places without a waiver.

You would not be able to fly anywhere in most places without a waiver.

Do a search for "Drone-friendly travel destinations", you'll need a waiver for the dead-center of nowhere. Seriously, it's getting more and more difficult to even justify owning a drone. I can only take so many videos and photos of my own house before it just gets old. You can't take them to National Parks, and the Government has deemed it their God-given right to lay claim to all scenic vistas that one might want to film and photograph with a drone (but not a camera on a tripod, or in-hand, or strapped to your head or any other body part), but of course you can charter a manned observation platform like a helicopter or airplane, if you've got a lot of money and don't mind the horrible noise and dismal field of view or limited flight time and location, because apparently, that sort of thing keeps the national economy from tanking completely.

I see all these YT videos of people flying in areas that I'd love to, but I'm also waiting to see all the YT videos of "The FAA saw my video and fined me $30K and gave me 10 years in Federal like I'm some mass-murdering psychopath" because they flew there.

Do a search for "Drone-friendly travel destinations", you'll need a waiver for the dead-center of nowhere. Seriously, it's getting more and more difficult to even justify owning a drone. I can only take so many videos and photos of my own house before it just gets old. You can't take them to National Parks, and the Government has deemed it their God-given right to lay claim to all scenic vistas that one might want to film and photograph with a drone (but not a camera on a tripod, or in-hand, or strapped to your head or any other body part), but of course you can charter a manned observation platform like a helicopter or airplane, if you've got a lot of money and don't mind the horrible noise and dismal field of view or limited flight time and location, because apparently, that sort of thing keeps the national economy from tanking completely.

I see all these YT videos of people flying in areas that I'd love to, but I'm also waiting to see all the YT videos of "The FAA saw my video and fined me $30K and gave me 10 years in Federal like I'm some mass-murdering psychopath" because they flew there.
I actually have mixed experience of this in my neck of the woods. While it is true that some places in the U.K. are becoming increasingly difficult to fly legally, it is also true that other areas seem to be more drone tolerant...note that I didn't say 'friendly', though there are some areas that could be described as friendly.

For example, back in February this year I had to jump through hoops to get a permission to do a commercial flight for a client in a country park near Royton in Greater Manchester. The flight took place in March when I received the permission. Three weeks ago I flew the exact same place and I was just waved through! I could give other examples.

The public seem to have changed too. When flying I've noticed that I'm not drawing the same level of attention from people that I did some years ago. I've never had a serious confrontation with a member of public but have had a couple of minor 'spats', but absolutely nothing this last year.

I do a lot of my hobby flying in an area where you would probably love to...on the Pennine Moors with all of it's stunning scenery. Saddleworth Moor is currently designated as a No-Fly area but that is only a temporary restriction because of the current moorland peat fires caused by arsonists in the area.

Yeah, we don't have places like that nearby in Tennessee. Civil War parks, houses of the rich cattle rustlers, and run-down graffiti-covered ante-bellum shacks overgrown with weeds and overrun with crackheads. Nothing "interesting" or photogenic IMO like Medieval cathedrals, abbeys, and abandoned castles. I guess I could go to the Mississippi and shoot some of the tugboats and barges, but I can do that with a tripod from the levee.

This thread has departed from the original question of app content accuracy and crafted into a side discussion of privacy and property.

Regarding USA: I've read and heard a lot about the privacy of property... a back yard, etc. I've also read and understand the airspace & FAA with the argument still discussing the private property and airspace above. Technically there isn't any airspace above land that is recognized as private property per FAA being sole governing agent of airspace. The issue of private property extending into air was challenged back in WWII timeframe when airforce was flying or performing exercises that irritated some local residents, and at that time the Court found no airspace right's to residents but also expressed that airspace below the residents highest property could be considered private property. That never became "Law" and several iterations have spawned over the years: 200', 1' above, 75', etc.

I was looking but in hast on phone didn't locate the actual Supreme Court finding but I did find an reference from NC legal source that looks like a reputable enough source to accept. Link attached below.

Basically, the Supreme Court found private property... per se Backyard has No Expectation of Privacy and does not recognize aerial as an invasion of property even if posted "no trespassing" or fenced

I personally mention satilites, exp Google and various Govt sources have a much more detailed view of land and social media (Facebook,etc) provides so much more information than any fly over would collect. If you want to survale someone, social media is the first stop and ft door & driveway activity are the 2nd.

This is different than clearly showing the act of surveillance, that can and should be pursued under different laws than invasion of private property. But showing a drones footage as surveillance would be extremely difficult due to lens power and FOV captured. At 120' altitude and a non-hover flight path would be a weak case, but catching a drone hovering at window level would be a slam dunk!

Fourth Amendment Searches, Drones, and the Privacy of Your Backyard: The Need to Build a Fence and a Roof - NC Journal of Law & Technology

What drone are you using to fly in class A airspace? From my understanding, a 107 pilot can fly under the wedding cake if it's class G...just not the center. If I understand what you are saying, that would mean you had to get a waiver for the outer shelf of a class C (my closest would be around 5-10 miles radius from 1200-4000ft) and much further from a class B (whatever boundary for the third tier happens to be). You would not be able to fly anywhere in most places without a waiver.

I'm a former airport Manager retired actually nothing like LAX or LaGuardia but busy enough. Here's how airport managers feel... at the time was the regulation that if you walk up to the airport manager and ask him if it's okay. Then maybe he'll give you a spot to go to that's below landing pattern altitude... don't forget your max height of 400 ft, but the airport owns the airspace 5 miles out in a conical shape. In other words, the airport runway would just be like the football field, in the further you get away from the center line the higher you can go. As if walking from the middle of the football field towards the bleachers... the further away you get from the field the higher the seats go.

Well a conical airspace is the same thing... you're never going to get permission in a class B or C airspace, there's just too much going on. The power has to worry about traffic coming in and their landing pattern, as well as their order and then they hand them off to ground control and vice versa when they depart.

Good rule of thumb if the airport has passenger liners (anything bigger than a puddle jumper with jet engines... it's going to be a no-go) and the airport does own the airspace to 5 miles out. There's a book out there called the FAR/AME and it is the Bible for all things in the sky as far as aviation goes. That book changes rules every year.

In fact when this all first started (the drone craze that is)... just being a pilot was good enough and because of all the craziness out there, with fools approaching busy airports with their drones of course they have to change the rules to make it more safe.. so they print a new one each year but if you're unsure about the rules grab yourself one of these books.

You can get an aviation sectional for your area and it will tell you you can get one at any airport or online at a place called sporty'sScreenshot_20210731-074549_Chrome.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital