Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What are you doing right?

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
We see many threads referencing issues people have with their Typhoon H, generating the appearance that virtually everything is wrong. On the other hand, a great many people have either very few issues or none at all, with most of the issues they experience encountered with firmware updates that didn't go as they should have. Many of those are easily corrected.

For those of you, which includes myself, that have few or no problems it might be beneficial to some to learn of what you do in case your operational practices are what makes the difference between a correctly functioning system and one that is not. I experience very few issues with my H and find it a true pleasure to fly. The reliability is such that I trust it enough to use for some commercial endeavors. I'll start with how I go about it with the hope others will follow.

What I do:
  1. Read the instructions more than a cursory once
  2. Watch instructional You Tube videos
  3. Calibrate everything after every firmware upgrade
  4. Calibrate the compass after changing flight locations by long distances
  5. Allow a little more time between the first boot up and launch after changing to a distant location
  6. Use a checklist, written or one committed to memory
  7. Never rush to become airborne
  8. Have the system fully set up and stationary before pushing the power button on the H
  9. Review all the switch positions before lift off
  10. Assure I am outside of the "safe circle" if taking off or landing in Smart mode
  11. Fully understand what each flight mode does and the requirements necessary to employ them
  12. Allow ample time for the system to complete the boot up process before arming the motors
  13. Treat my batteries as if I like them
  14. Don't fly so long the system declares low battery levels
  15. Don't push the limits of radio range
  16. Don't put the H in a position where radio signal may be blocked by heavy foliage or structures
  17. Take off and land with the H facing into the wind
  18. Use known quality SD cards
  19. Clean the camera lens
  20. Perform component inspections before and after each flight
  21. Store the H with the arms folded but with the props still attached
  22. Storage cycle my batteries if they are not going to be used for awhile
  23. Leave my cell phone in the car while flying
  24. Review the area of flight prior to launch to become cognizant of potential issues with radio interference
So the above is some of what I do. I presume something in all that works because I don't have many issues and have never had flight control problems of any kind. The above is what I have done with any brand product in my fleet, and none of them have provided any issues.

So what is it that you do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Subtle Shots
That's a pretty comprehensive list, Pat. Thanks for doing it.
I use Polar Pro filters and fit these before flight, this helps me remember to remove the camera cover. On the first flight of the day and when changing filters, I do a gimbal calibration.
Living in a damp climate, I try to avoid changes in temperature that could cause condensation to form on the Typhoon or ST16. I store them with silica gel, but even so I'm likely to get fungus on the camera eventually. Contrary to you, I store with the props off.
Having had compass issues from the previous update, after each flight and before the next, I've taken to using Tuna's app to check telemetry.

Thinking of those like myself, who are anxious to get their Xmas present in the air, I came across this post and thought it would be good to give it a bump for the new comers looking for information. Nice work Pat!

In spite of my best efforts, I had a near fatal crash with my Q500+ last fall. Q500+Tree+40ft drop = broken props+hunt for CGO2+broken frame+broken battery compartment. It was my own fault and the tree just wasn't where I thought it was.:(Dang! I bought the parts and rebuilt it. Works fine again. I now own an H and am very excited to see what it can do. Temperatures here will not be conducive for flying for a while yet.

My advise: Read, Watch, Read, Watch, and read some more. You can't be too prepared. Fly safe! Don't cut corners/legalities. Get comfortable with what you have. Even after you're comfortable, things can go south in a heartbeat. My experience and reading posts on this forum is testimony to that. Yes, it's a Big Boy toy. A lot of Big Boys like me are guilty of tossing the instructions and going nuts. This is one toy you probably want for a while and even if the instructions from Yuneec may not be complete, the information here will compliment nicely. Patience and understanding cannot be stressed enough.

This forum is an awesome resource of information. It's not readily available elsewhere. Hats off to the contributors. I'm gleaning a lot.

Happy Flying!

The list looks pretty much as everything I do (maybe except for the cellphone one) but I would also add two things:
  1. Check your monitor hardware before flight (mainly stick input)
  2. Get to know the machine.
For the last one I mean that at least in my limited experience there's at least 3 different aspects I've come to know and give me some peace of mind when flying: knowing the H theoretically, practically and physically
  • Theoretically: What the manual states, what experienced users say/recommend and common sense (e.g. never fly near powerlines/radio antennas, never fly near airports, etc)
  • Practically: How the H behaves in real world (e.g. normal position/altitude variations while hovering vs. actual drift/toiletbowling, flight behaviour on calm vs. windy days, how long does it takes for the unit to stop after traveling full speed and releasing the stick, etc.)
  • Physically: Frecuent in-depth visual inspections can go a long way; (you can identify early wear on motors, loose arms loose motor pods, loose gimbal dampers, stressed landing gear, etc) But you will never know when something doesn't look right if you don't spend some time every now and then looking at the unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech