Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What do you charge for footage?

Reaction score
For those of us that do professional work with our drones:

How do you charge your clients for stills and video?

How much do you charge your clients for stills and video?

Do you sell with full rights, partial rights, etc?

Any additional information you would like to provide.

Rights to clients, In my work, the work is of their property, not mine !
$75.00 hr real estate, $100 hr agricultural/ranching filming and 3D Mapping.

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
Interesting! I read that when you become better at the profession, you can begin charging by the photo and video clip, or packaged together. Typical averages can range from $20 per stil photo to $75-$150 per still photo. With video being negotiated or added on for an additional cost. The average pricetag on a million dollar home shoot seems to be around $350-$600+ with video negoatated at $1 / second.

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneClone
Thus, providing the photographer or videographer with the advantage of being paid by their skill and deliverance efficency, rather than labored hours of work.

This creates the accessible business architecture of better time management while maximizing profit capabilities.

Thus, providing the photographer or videographer with the advantage of being paid by their skill and deliverance efficency, rather than labored hours of work.

This creates the accessible business architecture of better time management while maximizing profit capabilities.
Perhaps, I just do mine as side work, i was offered employment with Ascending Angels , a contract company and there base pay to me would have been $65.00 hr, i told them Nope !

How can being paid by the amount of time it takes to do a job create a necessity for that person to be efficient with their time?
If I were unscrupulous and being paid to do something that I know not a lot of people know how long it takes to do i would be stretching that time as long as I could. That is why most contractors and their clients agree on a price ahead of time. That way it is more advantageous for the contractor to finish sooner than later

For those of us that do professional work with our drones:

How do you charge your clients for stills and video?

How much do you charge your clients for stills and video?

Do you sell with full rights, partial rights, etc?

Any additional information you would like to provide.

Hi, I work as prof. photographer, mostly for real estate agencies. In general, when jumping into new photo areas, I do some "mystery shopping" to at least ten companies to check their prices.
Then I will know the price ranges quite well and where to put myself, over or under. :) In Sweden most of my customers love fixed prices not by the hour.
For drone pics with my "H", (not vids) I charge about 280Euro for one object and then 80Euro for additional objects. Some times I charge for travel if it's over 30-40km.
I own the rights and the customer can use the pics within their own busineess - but not selling them or earn money from the pics. Not even give them away.

Best from Sweden

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
Rights to clients, In my work, the work is of their property, not mine !
$75.00 hr real estate, $100 hr agricultural/ranching filming and 3D Mapping.

Are you still doing Ag work? If so do you use the CGO ET, how well does it work for ag work and do you recommend it for this. I live in NE Indiana with a lot of farms. I have been asked to map the farms to locate TILEs, etc, but I want to be sure the ET has the capability and quality for this type work before spending the amount of money it costs. THanks. John

My rates are largely based on the complexity of a job rather than the quantity or time spent on site. Here in the U.K. If you are going to fly within the commercial rules there is a lot of prep work to be undertaken before the actual flight. For example:
Fill out a 'Client Request Form' whilst Conducting a pre-site survey using Google Earth, Altitude Angel, etc. At this stage I will either except or decline the client's brief. If declining the brief at this stage then there is no charge to the client. If the pre-site survey indicates that the brief is viable, then I will inform the client and if he wishes me to proceed I will warn him that any further work I do will incur a cost. If agreed, then seek permissions for take off and landing sites if not owned by the client; Conduct an on-site assessment if necessary before the day of the flight (not always necessary); Seek to inform ATC if flying in class D airspace; this pre site stuff is not exhaustive, and if this pre-flight stuff indicates that a flight is not viable after all, for example, a land owner has refused permission for a take off or landing site and an alternative cannot be found, then inform the client of my refusal to continue with the brief and then seek a payment for my trouble (not always easy to get despite an agreement I may add).

On the morning of the flight: Get a TAF and METAR from the nearest airport that does them; Consult NOTAMS. This too is not exhaustive.
On site do a site & risk assessment (including on site weather observations) then deliver a pre-flight briefing to the client and other interested parties present to help clarify the brief and to let them know what I expect of them for a safe area of operations & emergency procedures. Erect a cordon if necessary to try and keep public away. Then if I deem all to be safe do the flight.
Note that all of the above is not always exhaustive. Depending on the job it can get even more involved!

After the flight do a post flight de-brief.

A typical job for me, then would be in the region of £160.00 (More if I encounter extraordinary difficulties) which would give the client at least 10 minutes of un-edited video footage (usually a lot more), or at least 10 raw photographs (usually a lot more), and will probably involve the use of two flight batteries. If the brief calls for more than two batteries, multiple take-off and landing sites, or more than one drone, then the extra cost will reflect this. I also charge £0.40 pence per mile if I have to travel more than 35 road miles to a job. Note, though, that I will not even contemplate a job for less than £85.00 and that would be for the very simplest of briefs that is relatively close to my home.

I don't normally do video editing for a client preferring to just supply the raw footage and let the client decide his own best edit. If, though, the client wants me to do the editing, then the cost will reflect this. Generally, I will keep the rights to any footage but I'm prepared to negotiate this depending on circumstances.

In the past I've done certain jobs for the likes of environmental/conservation groups, not profit organisations, and charities free of charge to enhance my reputation, and once when doing a job free of charge I found evidence of a previously un-known pre-historic round house...which really was a feather in my cap. Best free pro-job I've ever done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval