Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What Do YOU Do When Someone Threatens To Shoot Down Your Drone?

Reaction score
As none of you know, the wife and I are planning to take a carribean cruise for our tenth anniversary. Due to the fact that we're both morons, our anniversary falls the day before Valentine's Day.:rolleyes: Anyway, it's over a year from now, but we've already booked the rooms (decided to pay for my Dad and Step-mother to go with us) and the wife is currently researching every facet of our trip with a rather OCD type ferver. I have already gained permission to take a drone with me on the cruise. I will not be taking the H, instead I'm pretty sure I've decided on the Parrot Anafi unless something absolutely ground-breaking is being sold for the same price-point come Cyber-Monday.

On to the point, I'm part of a Carnival Cruise discussion page and the topic of drones on cruises was recently brought up. I posted that I WILL be bringing mine and received tons of hate for it. Apparently, every fat, ugly, and old idiot thinks I'll be using it to spy on them. I courteously explained that I don't wish to waste my 4k on their hail-damaged bodies but I guess I might as well been speaking to a post. Several people have threatened to shoot any drone they see, down.

So I said I was going to report all of them to the FAA for threatening to bring down a registered aircraft.

What do YOU do when people just don't listen to reason?

I remind people that there is always room in jail for one more fool. Also - just out of curiosity how do cruise lines feel about people flying drones from the deck of a ship?

Yeah, I wouldn't do any flying while actually on the ship. You are in the slightly unusual situation where nobody can leave, and somebody, probably quite a few of the other guests, are going to have a problem with that, and will probably expect to enjoy their own deck time without a flying camera buzzing overhead. To be honest I'm surprised the cruise liner haven't forbidden it in their guest rules. It's a nest of vipers flying from a ship like this, with a whole lot that could go wrong, so if it was me I'd restrict my flyings to any shore visits you get.

Reactions: stan55
I don't guess I was clear in my OP. It's only flown while in port, and only in approved areas in said ports while adhering to local laws. The only drone footage that I'll get while onboard is while holding it and using the camera to capture the view from our balcony.

Reactions: Phaedrus
It's only flown while in port, and only in approved areas in said ports while adhering to local laws.
Oh yeah, that should be fine then. Provided you have clearly explained that to the cruise forum members they should have nothing to say about this.

[QUOTE=" Several people have threatened to shoot any drone they see, down.
Kinda beside the point, but what are they going to use for a gun? Cruises allowing passengers to pack, now days?[/QUOTE]

They constantly brought up their backyards, and in true "dey terk er jerbs" fashion, quite eloquently stated that if they saw any drone over their property, they were going to shoot it down.

The most recent threat was that he would use a slingshot or hurl a rock at my drone while in port.

I told him not to be a coward and man up once I got to where it went down, because I was going to get $1000 out of him one way or the other.

Reactions: MarkC
Oh yeah, that should be fine then. Provided you have clearly explained that to the cruise forum members they should have nothing to say about this.

But muh privacy!!!

That's pretty much what I got in response. Mind you, they're fine with people walking around with gopros on their heads, but they don't want to possibly be filmed from the air while I'm getting a shot of the bay, sunset, bars on the beaches, beautiful landmarks, etc...

There are several good reasons that I don't tell anybody where I am planning to fly until after I have done it, and this has very much reminded me why that continues to be a good idea ! People can't object to what they don't know about ! ;)

or just say so you dont mind me zooming in on your wife then with a Canon EOS 5D Mak IV and a telephoto lens just as long as i am not flying my drone at the same time.
but this has also reminded me that i have got to find the photo i took of harry styles ( as if ) when they were filming Dunkirk in Weymouth
the as if is because i did not take the photo what i did do was take a photo on my phone of the photo taken on a camera that took the photo 6 feet back from a 9" glass window throw the living room the dinning room and another window and about 20 feet beyond and got the perfect picture of harry styles ( it was a paparazzi and i was quite surprised he let me take a pic of his screen )
the point of sharing is that people have no idea of what a camera can do

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect people privecy.
But when it comes to flying my drones, unless it's a restricted air space, I will fly the sucker until the blade ware off.
Last I checked, they still don't own the sky.

Reactions: AeriaL
To make a long story short. My brother in law has not spoken to me in 3 years after a discussion concerning this, and will not come in to a business if my car is parked outside. I love it.

Reactions: MarkC and Grumpy
You could report the harrassment to the cruise line and let them deal with the individuals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval