Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What Do YOU Do When Someone Threatens To Shoot Down Your Drone?

But muh privacy!!!

That's pretty much what I got in response. Mind you, they're fine with people walking around with gopros on their heads, but they don't want to possibly be filmed from the air while I'm getting a shot of the bay, sunset, bars on the beaches, beautiful landmarks, etc...

That has been my problem with the privacy BS from the beginning. People use smart phones, GoPros, video cams , and cameras all the time and people don’t whine about their privacy (except for public figures that whine about paparazzi). But put props on it and get it in the air and suddenly their privacy has been invaded. Never mind that the image shows less recognizable imagery than any of the others that they take in stride.

I bet hundreds of people get their pictures taken every day and don’t even realize it. Lots of creepy people out there. I’m quite sure caged_bird has no intention of photographing people while on vacation

Reactions: AeriaL and Grumpy
I remind people that there is always room in jail for one more fool. Also - just out of curiosity how do cruise lines feel about people flying drones from the deck of a ship?

Can’t you ask the staffs or the capt. if it’s okay? Most are okay with it, just as long as it’s docked, yeah?

No fear @The_caged_bird just notify the right personnel’s. Take great footage and use valid hashtags, when tagging in social media. I know a blogger friend who has flown from the deck of a cruise ship, and they all wants to be tagged in social media.

Reactions: AeriaL
No fear @The_caged_bird just notify the right personnel’s. Take great footage and use valid hashtags, when tagging in social media. I know a blogger friend who has flown from the deck of a cruise ship, and they all wants to be tagged in social media.
That's a genuinely interesting situation - will the staff on board prioritize the supposed privacy concerns of their other paying customers, or will they override all that just for a social media tag and a bit more free promotion ?

That's a genuinely interesting situation - will the staff on board prioritize the supposed privacy concerns of their other paying customers, or will they override all that just for a social media tag and a bit more free promotion ?

Funny thing about that. When you sign the contract for your room, you give Carnival permission to use your likeness in any future advertising and/or promotions. So if the activity is sponsored by Carnival, they can pretty much do what they wish in regards to taking your picture.

That has been my problem with the privacy BS from the beginning. People use smart phones, GoPros, video cams , and cameras all the time and people don’t whine about their privacy (except for public figures that whine about paparazzi). But put props on it and get it in the air and suddenly their privacy has been invaded. Never mind that the image shows less recognizable imagery than any of the others that they take in stride.

Yep, some lady even said that she expects to have privacy in her own backyard. I asked if any of her neighbors had two story houses with windows that face her backyard and her reply was, "yes, why?"

Think about it, lady...

Case in point. My uncle owns a custom home business in Lubbock. He built the houses for the last two major University coaches in the area... The most recent one wanted a beach house style motif, and his backyard was insane. Anyway, when the neighbors found out who bought the place next door, their house, which was currently under construction, suddenly became a two story, with a window that faced Kliff's luxurious backyard.

Then permits were filed and waivers were given for a sixteen foot high fence to be built between the two houses...

I'm not sure if it went any further from there, but it sure gave me a chuckle.

Yep, some lady even said that she expects to have privacy in her own backyard. I asked if any of her neighbors had two story houses with windows that face her backyard and her reply was, "yes, why?"

Think about it, lady...

Case in point. My uncle owns a custom home business in Lubbock. He built the houses for the last two major University coaches in the area... The most recent one wanted a beach house style motif, and his backyard was insane. Anyway, when the neighbors found out who bought the place next door, their house, which was currently under construction, suddenly became a two story, with a window that faced Kliff's luxurious backyard.

Then permits were filed and waivers were given for a sixteen foot high fence to be built between the two houses...

I'm not sure if it went any further from there, but it sure gave me a chuckle.

I have to agree. People are just down right stupid sometimes. It never ceases to amaze me just how idiotic folks can be. Then I look at the politicians in the US and abroad and the knee jerk rules they proposing, then on the other hand they are going to let commercial enterprises fly BVLOS on a regular basis.

When they ban me from flying and allow that, those are the ones I’ll be hunting. I wonder how much a hunting license will be?:p

Last edited:
I have to agree. People are just down right stupid sometimes. It never ceases to amaze me just how idiotic folks can be. Then I look at the politicians in the US and abroad and the knee jerk rules they proposing, then on the other hand they are going to let commercial enterprises fly BVLOS on a regular basis.

When they ban me from flying and allow that those are the ones I’ll be hunting. I wonder how much a hunting license will be?:p

Dunno, but it'll be worth it, a friend of mine at work and I were talking about a gas powered drone that has a 45 mile range and two hours of flight time on a single tank. I told him that's likely what Amazon and the others will use. He said that those drones go for $25k a piece, and I said that all I need to know is how much are new props because I'm gonna hide in the bushes and throw a kevlar vest on top of it when it lands in my driveway.:D

Reactions: DoomMeister
In the U.K. shooting at any aircraft is an ACT OF WAR. I was told this by an Army Helicopter Pilot that ran our CAA permit course.
Not sure if US or other countries are the same.

lots of terrace house in the uk really my drone in the park out the back is know where near as bad as the pervert looking out his window into your back garden when your sunbathing
but remember rules of sunbathing

It is interesting, travel blogger, as well as influencers has taught everyone in social media on how it’s done, and lots of companies are joining the bandwagon, hotel, cruise and others are in the YouTube, Instagram wagon.

Now let’s touch the privacy thing, as a commercial operators, I times just look and shake my head. Because it takes one accident to ruin it all for everyone.

Personally, I try to avoid creating conflicts when I’m out of country. Makes it a lot easier to remain alive, unharmed, and out out of foreign prisons. If I was to contemplate doing something that might create conflict I certainly would not advertise it beforehand.

Reactions: MarkC and AeriaL
Certainly, a night of Netflix watching Midnight Express could be useful...

Has anyone looked at Goggle Earth lately, and I'm sure there are better photos than what they show and Goggle map has photos at street level.

There are as governments force Google Earth and other agencies to downgrade or replace imagery with more benign views in many places. There is much that is not shown in G.E. images.

Reactions: DoomMeister
There are as governments force Google Earth and other agencies to downgrade or replace imagery with more benign views in many places. There is much that is not shown in G.E. images.

I must concur. I know the exact location of a few submarine home ports. When I go to that place on G.E. it's either blurry or an empty dock. Funny that the sub is never in port when that particular satellite goes over... Hmmmm

I must concur. I know the exact location of a few submarine home ports. When I go to that place on G.E. it's either blurry or an empty dock. Funny that the sub is never in port when that particular satellite goes over... Hmmmm

Nice Ohio class Boomer in this one:
And stroll a bit north and see 2 tied up pier side and one in dry dock
And hed on down to Point Loma in Sand Diego and see a few fast attack boats too.

Google Maps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop