Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

When does the 'Beta Test' end? Buy now or wait poll

Is the Typhoon H ready for prime time? Should new owners buy now or wait a few months?

• Buy Now - Its perfect

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Wait a few months - Still kinks to be ironed out

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but not new to drones.

I keep seeing people write that they are beta testers for the H at the moment.
What do people mean regarding this? That people who preordered are ironing out kinks with the drone? Has this ever been officially acknowledged by Yuneec?

I ask because this is one of the reasons I'm holding back on purchasing one as I've been stung before being an early adopter. What are owners thoughts? Buy now or wait until a couple of firmware revisions?

Thanks for your advice

Greg

Your poll is set up like a politicians.
Is the H perfect? No it's not. Would I wait? **** no! It flies great and takes awesome video and the wizard makes it really versatile

Reactions: gregreh
Haha good point. Didnt quite mean it like that. I appreciate there will be a few things wrong. Guess its more of a question should I buy now or wait a while

Is the Typhoon H v2 going to be better if you wait?
Of course.
But enjoy this now, and then get v3. :p

Its not that I'm waiting for the V2 as such. Just don't want to really be a 'beta tester' and was just trying to understand peoples meaning of this

Remember Xbox 360 rough start?
I was one of the owners of the faulty unit. So what, after few month it gave ring of death, get repaired after few month again then I got new one as replacement with fixed design . When I had enough of it I sold it. The moral of this story enjoy while u can. Life is short!

Reactions: gregreh
Same here, Mine so far has flown great with no major issues whatsoever. Firmware's are always improving products, even after months of ownership. If no one bought one, no noticeable issues or recommendations would be seen or reported, thus a far less superior product!. I know it is frustrating to some that are having issues and I feel for your frustration. But if you hang in there it will get better and I know you will be satisfied in the long haul!
Is mine perfect?--No
What I expected--Yes

Reactions: Nick O and gregreh
Are these people "true" beta testers or is that just a term they are using for being an early adopter? Beta testers usually have "beta" versions of products which may not necessarily reflect production units; the products don't typically belong to the testers and are returned to the manufacturer for evaluation. I thought the true beta test period was over and what you have are "production" models now. Which of course being "early production models" will have a number of firmware updates which I'm grateful for.

Personally, I hate being an early adopter, but I got caught up in the hype and bought an H yesterday. I've been reading/re-reading the manuals and watching videos. A bit nervous but happy...

Are these people "true" beta testers or is that just a term they are using for being an early adopter? Beta testers usually have "beta" versions of products which may not necessarily reflect production units; the products don't typically belong to the testers and are returned to the manufacturer for evaluation. I thought the true beta test period was over and what you have are "production" models now. Which of course being "early production models" will have a number of firmware updates which I'm grateful for.

Personally, I hate being an early adopter, but I got caught up in the hype and bought an H yesterday. I've been reading/re-reading the manuals and watching videos. A bit nervous but happy...
Early adopters is the correct terminology!

When does the Beta test end?

Brilliant trolling Greg!!

I can assure you I am not a troll at all! I just see the phrase written a lot and wondered if there was anything official. I will definitely be buying this drone just a matter of when

I too was on the fence. I only have the original Parrot drone. Loved the concept but it was hard to control using only a phone and it was not what I was expecting. So since that experience I have been wanting to get a higher quality drone. Looked at DJI gear but it was expensive when I started looking. Also their phantom line is UGLY as ****. Sorry but they look like white, plastic toys. Seriously bad from an aesthetics perspective and to me that is important. The Inspire is cool looking but that is huge, heavy and pricey. When I go to a field I want to open the case and think, that is bad ***. i:)i

So I kept looking and discovered the Q500. I was eyeing that for some time and was waiting for a good sale. It can be an expensive hobby so I did not want to be out to much if it crashed. Always wanted to move up to a hex but man those are very expensive.

Then discovered the Typhoon H when it was announce at CES. I admit I fell in love at first glance. Great looking, great camera, folding landing gear etc... and at a good price point! I mean wow... I HAD to pre-order even knowing it may have bugs. My logic is as long as the redundancy works and prevents it from falling like a stone on a engine or prop failure it can updated and repaired. I figure I can have some fun now, or wait and read and wait and watch videos of others having fun and wait and wait.. Until when? 6 months? A year? How long should you wait before it will be perfect? Hint: it will never be. No product is i:)i

If you honestly do not care about having one now and can wait and want to see some history first, then wait. Give it 6 months or a year and see where the product is and decide then. That is not a stupid thing to do by any means. Issues will get resolved and it can only get better. You have to decide when to jump in and how long you want to wait. What will you do in the meantime?

Personally I could not do that. I would be getting drone blue balls. (Can I say that here?) i:)i

Products, especially anything complicated, will have issues even after years of production. Like buying a "Monday" car*. That is why we have Lemon laws in the US. To help you get issues resolved when buying a new car.

You will get production issues with ANYTHING. What matters to me is how those issues are addressed by the manufacturer and from everything I have read Yuneec is top notch. If this was about a new DJI product I would definitely wait. When you have issues with one of their products it can be very hit or miss getting support.

If you have issues with this, contact Yuneec and they seem willing to take care of it. How great is that!

So take a risk, have some fun. Life is short man! i:)i

*A car jokingly believed to have been made on a Monday after a long weekend when the workers are not paying attention to detail.

Last edited:
Thanks all - Great post Paladin.

I knew it wouldn't take much to persuade me. Just ordered from Wheelspin models. They have some in stock for the cheapest I've seen in the UK if anyone else is interested.

I look forward to talking to you all more over the coming months

Nice write up there Paladin.
I can tell you I am the envy of any and every person that sees me flying my H including guys with DJI"s and people who only heard of "drones". Apparently northwest Pensylvania people are still drone friendly and I am doing what I can to promote that it is a good thing.

Reactions: DroneClone
Nice write up there Paladin.
I can tell you I am the envy of any and every person that sees me flying my H including guys with DJI"s and people who only heard of "drones". Apparently northwest Pensylvania people are still drone friendly and I am doing what I can to promote that it is a good thing.

I am from Pittsburgh!! i:)i
If you ever are around the area let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: n3srj
I work in Warrendale but live north towards Erie about an hour.
Let's go Pens!!!!

Thanks all - Great post Paladin.

I knew it wouldn't take much to persuade me. Just ordered from Wheelspin models. They have some in stock for the cheapest I've seen in the UK if anyone else is interested.

I look forward to talking to you all more over the coming months

That's where I got mine and they have just got more batteries in, **** wallet takes another hit :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop