Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Where can I legally fly in Los Angeles?

Reaction score
I am trying to find a place in the Los Angeles area that I can legally fly a drone. This article

Top 10 Places to Fly a Drone in LA

is apparently 100% wrong because when I called Los Angeles Parks and Recreation and spoke to a Park Ranger — I was curtly and firmly told that it is ILLEGAL to fly ANY drone ANYTIME in ANY Los Angeles City Park ... WTH? I bought this drone and now I can't find a legal place to fly it!

Thanks but I don't see where that map shows one can legally fly a drone in LA. It basically, from what I can tell and like every other LA map I've seen, only shows the 5 mi. radius restriction near airports.

1)
The LA city ordinance states no flying over private property (Papparazzi rules) .
2) No flying in public parks.

Which limits me to what? The streets? One LA area drone meetup organizer replied to my message with this:

I do fly in areas that are technically off limits. I use good judgement to not fly over lots of people and away from airports. Only you can make that call.

Which seems to say --"yeah we do things illegally." Thanks but no thanks.... I'd really rather not be arrested, cited, ticketed or have my $2K investment confiscated... :(

Lots of mountains and valleys around there. The desert is just over the mountains. Don't they still have the canals,abandon shipyards, and railroad yards there? A few years back there was an active AMA chapter there also.

Last edited:
Lots of mountains and valleys around there. The desert is just over the mountains. Don't they still have the canals,abandon shipyards, and railroad yards there? A few years back there was an active AMA chapter there also.

I'll check into the AMA. I wanted to stay away from hard surface landing areas (concrete and asphalt) until I am reasonably certain I know how to land it gently and keep it from wandering. I guess I'll be heading to Palm Springs this weekend.

I thought the FAA controlled the air space. Check with the FAA. Citys can try to make a rule or law banning flights, but the FAA has the final say. Like the National parks say you can takeoff in parks. But alot of home owners right next to these parks are making big money letting drone flyers takeoff from their land so the can fly into the park. It 100% legal. I hear they even give them power to charge their drones. So check to make sure those rules in LA dont say takeoff from the parks

You can fly at rosebowl. I used to fly there after work when I lived in LA. I'm in Lancaster now where there's plenty of open areas to fly in

I'll check into the AMA. I wanted to stay away from hard surface landing areas (concrete and asphalt) until I am reasonably certain I know how to land it gently and keep it from wandering. I guess I'll be heading to Palm Springs this weekend.

Man, it's gonna be 110 degrees out there this weekend. Flying in extreme heat is a no no.

The ordinance about not flying over private property won't keep you from transiting it. You can't hover over someone's backyard, but this doesn't keep you from overflying it.

I fly at Corona Del Mar State Beach off of Arches Rock, Huntington Beach at sunrise and on several occasions had the police pass by and have never had a problem. There are places here in the OC that I have flown with no issues. Just fly safely and I think you will be ok.

People only get nervous if you ask them if you can. They can look up and see your craft going across the sky and not think any thing bout it but if you stop and observe any thing they will call the cops. If the cops finds you they can make your life well it will not be Disney.

Reactions: Jamess
People only get nervous if you ask them if you can. They can look up and see your craft going across the sky and not think any thing bout it but if you stop and observe any thing they will call the cops. If the cops finds you they can make your life well it will not be Disney.
agree

I flight in griffith park not problems yet
Hi Jamess
can I ask you where you take off from and what time you have done it at? I got my drone for Xmas and finally getting around to flying it but find so much conflicting info. yesterday I tried to go find a place near Griffith and i have read that you can but then couldn't find any area that seemed isolated enough..plus then i found a page for Griffith Observatory that says :Flying any kind of drone or remote-control aircraft is prohibited in all city parks.
i left but i know i've seen plenty of drone videos in the area..one should be able to fly near there-i don't think id' fly over the observatory even if some do..but would like to know real experiences. I just wanted to maybe get some shots overlooking l.a..and sunset..etc.. i would love one near the hollywood sign..hope to find more experienced flyers who can help. thanks!

It's only illegal if you get caught. But seriously.. I live in LA too and the nit picky laws make it impossible. You can't fly over private property w/o permission. You can't fly over crowds.... you can't fly in any park. Basically you can't fly anywhere. That's not to say that I don't :) I just do it very discreetly.

Thank those representatives that are voted into office, and the complete lack of organization of multirotor user groups. Feinstein's aerial privacy bill for the state can be beat in court but someone willing to spend a lot of money will need to be willing to do it. A state or city cannot legally regulate airspace, and a law that states a drone without a camera violates privacy rights is simply ludicrous. The way the law is written anyone with a cell phone camera violates privacy rights by being present, anywhere in the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: THoff
Thank those representatives that are voted into office, and the complete lack of organization of multirotor user groups. Feinstein's aerial privacy bill for the state can be beat in court but someone willing to spend a lot of money will need to be willing to do it. A state or city cannot legally regulate airspace, and a law that states a drone without a camera violates privacy rights is simply lubricous. The way the law is written anyone with a cell phone camera violates privacy rights by bring present, anywhere in the state.

Yep. Yet another fine example of government over reach at it's finest. Never liked Frankenfein and now I like her even less.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop