Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Where can you fly?

That sounds more like an invitation to get to know you and advise you of the best places to fly along with places to avoid. If they would not allow it they would have just said no.

You should take advantage of the opportunity. It could grow into more that you could hope for if you present yourself properly. They can’t arrest you for asking permission[emoji6]

This ^^^^^

An outright “No” would have been delivered if it was strictly against the rules. Extending the offer to come out and talk to the Duty Ranger.....that tells me they want to check you out, make sure you’re not an irresponsible yo-yo who might at worst hurt someone, or seriously annoy campers and park guests. It also may depend on how busy the park is. People visiting a State Park are looking for nature, peace and quiet, beauty.....not some annoying buzzing drone flying over. Depending on occupancy, the Ranger may direct you to an area to fly so as not to bother campers and guests. Stay strictly in this area!

I’d even offer to image areas of the park for them in exchange for flight approval.

Reactions: AH-1G
I’d even offer to image areas of the park for them in exchange for flight approval.
I did this at a country estate in the Scottish Boarders back in 2015. Hoscote Estate. A place where I would never in a million years been able to fly (legally) but a swift conversation with the grounds manager offering to share images got me a permission. Another time in 2016 I wanted to shoot some video over a loch in Scotland that was on a farmer's land. I asked and offered images and the farmer opened the gate for me :)

Never hurts to have a conversation with someone if you think there is little hope of getting a fly without them coming down on you. Often it's just a case of having the manors to ask and you don't need to offer images. In all the times I've asked permission at places where I know there could have been a problem with landowners/authorities I've only ever been refused once.

Most of my asking has been for hand held photography. Gotten a whole crap pile of no's over the years. But when you get a yes on a perfect subject....it makes all those no's meaningless. Always, always go for the ask. It's a numbers game, if you ain't getting no's then you're not trying hard enough.

On a thread I posted earlier, I was trying to get to the river valley here, and, as it was still late winter, and being on the edge of no fly zones, I was rebuffed in my attempts. When I finally saw a large field, I asked permission. I was given that permission, images offered and declined. It is always the best to ask, especially on private land. I have found farmers to be quite willing, provided you ask and promise to have respect on their land. Particularly with respect to gates (leave them as you found them). If I am flying at a common area, ask if the other people mind. I haven't received a no yet, simply queries about safety and flying away from people. We are ambassadors of our hobby. Our behavior leaves a lasting impression.

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1