Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Whoops! There It Went! One H Gone on a Flash!

I looked at the log files in UAV Toolbox and at the end of the flight I had about 10 very short Voltage Warning messages and I also double check my batteries to make sure they are secure.
the thing that concerns me is it seems that many of us are having problems after many successful flight and makes me wonder if there is something in every H waiting to go. I believe Pat had 200 flights on his when it went for a joy ride. How many other have had it take off on them after logging many flights?

Hmm. A valid point. One worth considering. I admit to usually blaming crashes and such I see on videos or read about on pilot error, and I am still inclined to do so. Mainly because it usually is. However, any complicated piece of machinery composed of circuit boards, gravity-defeating mechanics, countless small moving parts that are routinely put under repetitive pressure, stress and motion such as the H is could go also easily go down, for a variety of reasons.

I, personally, have not seen any clear pattern that would point at or indicate any routine failure on the Typhoon's part. In some cases of accidents and "flyaways," (God, I hate using that word!) it's easy to assess it as pilot error; in others it's a clear cut case of a electrical or mechanical failure that has caused things to go wrong. But I think we also have to always allow for the law of averages and the unknown to play their roles, too, which they do.

Whether it's a jet airliner, a Typhoon H, or a kid's bicycle, the law of averages are there to prove that after so many jet flights, drone flights or bike rides, there will be a certain number of near-misses, close calls, destructive crashes and accidents that have to happen to someone. And sometimes the unknown creeps in, too, which none of us is comfortable with psychologically because the unknown is unsettling to us and makes us realize our vulnerability in Life, whether it be aboard a jet, flying a $1K drone in the air, or biking down a well-known street. Still, that reality of Life doesn't stop millions of people from flying in jets every day, taking a drone into the sky, our letting little Susie take her two-wheeler down the block. In the backs of our minds we know that the risks are there, but rationalize it will ALWAYS happen to someone else, which it usually does.

Unless you ARE that someone else. And someone always has to be that person. Tonight I think it was my turn.

Reactions: Subtle Shots
I express my sorrow for you losing your H. Especially without it being pilot error.

Premature, but I would concur it sounds like the ST16 software itself crashed and when the software rebooted the H was gone. Not sure what would happen in the case you essentially shutdown the ST16 while the H is flying. If it centers on the ST16 for GPS and it is not there, what happens? Does it just land? And secondarily, if you shutdown the ST16 then restart it while the H is flying, what is expected?

I don't really feel like testing this.

Thank you, greatly, for your empathy. I really appreciate it.

You've posed some very good questions here, my friend. The display definitely blinked out momentarily and then came back on in a dead state. Software crash is seeming more likely to me.

I remained calm throughout the ordeal, knowing I had just launched with a fully charged battery and had about a 15-minute window to think the problem through and respond accordingly before it fell from the sky out of juice. So I flipped on RTH immediately - the first time I have EVER used that function, as I always land manually - and then thought "What next?" No good answers to this particular problem came rushing to me. The thoughts of attempting to rebind the two units passed through my mind as did turning off and re-starting the ST16; however, neither rang true with me, as I believe the protocol of powering on the ST16 first and then the Typhoon H is in place for a reason. I've never started a flight in reverse order before and didn't think then was the time to try it and see what happens if I do.

So all I had left was patience and a bit of prayer going for me, as I hoped it would just return to me. I did lower the landing gear switch - for some dumb reason since there was no communication whatsoever between my H and ST16 and I knew it - other than that I kinda just stood there trying NOT to look like a guy who just lost his drone! After 5 minutes passed I knew my goose was fully cooked, but I stayed onsite for another 15 minutes or so, just in case. However, my usual Charlie Brown luck proved to come into play once again, but trust me I said much more than just, "Rats!" as that Charlie would have.

I'll have to see what Yuneec has to say. They will either make me very happy for the weekend or very not so happy through next month.

Quite a story. Sorry for your loss but a good thing you are instantly ordering another H.
I agree the ST-16 will prove to be the cause of this, and maybe Yuneec has to rethink about having to start the ST before the bird. It should be possible to restart the ST and regain contact if it is hovering not to far off.

For me it is a reason to always go out with a 100% charged ST-16, I've read about erratic power management in the controller before. If it can't re-contact after a hickup.......
I am going to test if, H on the ground and secured by two ropes and motors in idle, the controller makes contact again if I switch it off and back on.

I trust Yuneec will take good care of you, since you have a well documented event and done everything one could possibly do to prevent this to happen.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: CC Rider
I express my sorrow for you losing your H. Especially without it being pilot error.

Premature, but I would concur it sounds like the ST16 software itself crashed and when the software rebooted the H was gone. Not sure what would happen in the case you essentially shutdown the ST16 while the H is flying. If it centers on the ST16 for GPS and it is not there, what happens? Does it just land? And secondarily, if you shutdown the ST16 then restart it while the H is flying, what is expected?

I don't really feel like testing this.

I have tested this (it's mandatory for us in the UK to pass our flight test for commercial operations), and if in GPS mode the Typhoon will just hover in place waiting for a reconnection. If GPS is disabled, the Typhoon will just drift away with the wind (this is something I called Yuneec about as DJI products will revert to failsafe mode when in 'atti' mode and switch GPS on and return to home).
It was scary testing this for the first time knowing the ST16 takes around a minute to switch on....a lot can go wrong in that minute, but it sat there good as gold thankfully. I would guess it would eventually auto-land if no reconnection was gained and low battery happened.

CC - Sorry to chime in here so late. Just read through your post and I am sorry to hear what you have gone through so far. Knowing you through this forum, you are what I would call a very thorough RC pilot and from what you have explained, this incident seems to be entirely out of your control, or fault. Knowing the history of how Yuneec treat their customers, I am sure this will be rectified and replaced, but that isn't any consolation to the 'here and now'.
I hope things go through smoothly for you and I will be watching this thread to hear of the outcome. It would be great to know the reason for the issue - let's hope Yuneec share this with you once they have looked through the telemetry files.

Having been in situations previously when things don't always go to plan, the biggest concern, for me anyway, is trying to install that confidence again.

I have tested this (it's mandatory for us in the UK to pass our flight test for commercial operations), and if in GPS mode the Typhoon will just hover in place waiting for a reconnection. If GPS is disabled, the Typhoon will just drift away with the wind (this is something I called Yuneec about as DJI products will revert to failsafe mode when in 'atti' mode and switch GPS on and return to home).
It was scary testing this for the first time knowing the ST16 takes around a minute to switch on....a lot can go wrong in that minute, but it sat there good as gold thankfully. I would guess it would eventually auto-land if no reconnection was gained and low battery happened.

Ah, cool... good to know, makes testing the 'crude way' unnecessary.
Nevertheless did CC's unit not regain contact although the H had plenty of flight time to go and he waited quite some time.

Curious how the software in CC's controller was functioning when it came up again. If the H was not 'bound' anymore it might be impossible to regain contact while the copter is not in 'bind' mode.

Last edited:
One of the features I liked about 3DR Solo is if your controller stops working the Solo wwould return home as the home location is stored in the model. I may be wrong ,but I think the home location for the H is stored in the ST16

Sorry to hear about this inexplicable event, I hope you'll keep us informed on how this all shakes out with Yuneec and if any
more information becomes available as to what may have happened.

One of the features I liked about 3DR Solo is if your controller stops working the Solo wwould return home as the home location is stored in the model. I may be wrong ,but I think the home location for the H is stored in the ST16

Rich,

Regarding your comment about "home location stored in the ST16..." if that were true, then there would not be a fail safe return to home if signal were lost, right?

On page 7 of the Typhoon H manual, I found a snippet about signal loss in the paragraph about landing:

AFTER LANDING
ALWAYS turn off Typhoon H BEFORE turning off the ST16 Ground Station. Then
remove the battery from Typhoon H and allow it to cool to ambient/room temperature
before recharging.
NOTICE: If the signal of the remote control is lost, Typhoon H will automatically
return to the home point and hold its position (with a suitable GPS signal/lock) over
the home position (except for low battery).

I also believe the recommendation of power on sequence (ST16, H on, then H off, ST16 off) has nothing to do with connection sequencing, but rather to ensure the H has the best chance of being "controlled" at all times; the controller is never OFF intentionally, thus always present to keep the H in control whenever it is live.

Jeff

THANKS, guys. ALL of your input and comments mean a lot to me and helps me out right now, too, just knowing there are others out there who care and can empathize with me. That DOES help smooth down my feathers greatly and replace my feelings of being alone - which began immediately yesterday when my ST16 went dark - with feelings of camaraderie instead. A great boost to have this particular morning as I wait to hear back from Yuneec.

I truly appreciate the votes of confidence each of you have given me. I've gone through the situation several times in my head and I know there was nothing more I could have done. I agree that once my H and ST16 became unbound for some reason my chances of getting the Typhoon back were null and only a miracle could have prevented what happened. For what it's worth, when I did check my ST16 as I was packing up my gear to head home, their was not a camera selected in the setup window. I just could not imagine when this was all going down how powering down my ST16 would enhance my chances of getting my H back.

Yes, getting back on the horse ASAP seemed important to me last night and I can see how such an experience could undo a pilot's confidence, in both his abilities and the aircraft he is piloting. I will definitely be on the watch to see if that occurs and will definitely fight against that syndrome if it rises within me.

I'm obviously hoping to hear good news from Yuneec today, but as I stated earlier I am not exactly known for naturally having "good luck" on my side. I've found I have had to make my own luck in this Life so far, and I have no reason to think that trend is going to change anytime soon...although I'm always open to it!! If Yuneec has my back on this I will be quite happy, pleasantly surprised, and will happily fly the H they send me as a replacement while shouting out their virtues as a company. If the bird I bought last night to replace it ends up being on me, I will STILL do all of those things, although I am certain my shouts out to their CS department will not be nearly as loud as they could have been since I am, after all, human.

I'll let you all know how things unfold. I know nothing but good energy and positive thoughts are being generated here in this Forum group. Let's hope that influences things at Yuneec headquarters. Thumbs up for now, and I hope each of you has a great day and hopefully can get some flight time in today. I'll be in touch.

CC..
Sorry about your Loss..
but just wondering what the last video on the ST16 shows?

The last images were of the confluence of the river and bay near the inlet I was filming. (This was to be the last day of footage I was shooting for an ongoing project I was working on about the river itself, tracing and filming it from its headwaters to where it meets the Atlantic Ocean some 10-12 miles away.) I anticipated seeing something catastrophic when I checked out what the controller last captured, but everything appeared as calm as the Caymans and as cool as ice.

I was actually simply hovering when I momentarily took my eyes off the H to focus on the ST16 as I was maneuvering for position for my next planned flight path. The last images seem to coincide with what I remember seeing last. I did not first lose RC signal and then video feed or vice versa. The connection of both was cut off simultaneously when my display suddenly went black. When it came back on, I still had a sat count for the ST16 but no telemetry data or video feed. I had only begun shooting, as I was trying to maintain consistency in my footage by shooting at roughly the same time of day to catch the same light, so my ST16 was fully charged, too.

Despite having 76 previous flights with my H under my belt, I always still pull out and follow the pre-flight and flight checklists that this Forum offers to Typhoon pilots. I copied it at 50% months ago on some stiff card stock and keep it in the same pocket where my props are stored in the original box they came in. So nothing was done differently on my part that day. My telemetry file was not of much help to me, either.

It's kinda like it just disappeared in a miniature drone Bermuda Triangle. The first place I'm flying when I get my new H in my hands is that same area, so I can finish what I started weeks ago and bust through any doubts that I may have in the back of my mind, as poster ArnhemAnt alluded to earlier since he is 100% right.

You might have been attacked by a bird. Birds of prey don't like drones. If it hit from behind you'd never know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Brent D
You might have been attacked by a bird. Birds of prey don't like drones. If it hit from behind you'd never know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A good possibility, as that area is home to red tail hawks, osprey and even eagles are often spotted in the vicinity. I was out filming over the water, but there are stands of trees located close nearby along the shorelines that do have active, protected nests. A bird strike is not something I can rule out.

Sorry to hear of your loss CC. I know what it's like. It's hard not to have it affect your confidence when you get back in the air. I hope you are taken care of, I'm sure you will be, Yuneec has been great towards me in standing behind their product.

Sorry for coming in so late. Not to imply anything negative but I sent in my telemetry on Monday for my lost TH. Just got off the phone with them and they said that there was no update but hopefully by the end of the day they would get back to me.

Still hoping that it was technology that failed and not my piloting. It was my 71st take-off. I have since gone back to my Phantom which I have less time on just to get my confidence back. Five missions with her since then has really helped but I'm still a little edgy when I lift off.

I too had to get back on the horse right away. I feel that if I had waited for Yuneec that I may never have gotten back in the air. Hope that everything works out for you .

Sorry to hear of your loss CC. I know what it's like. It's hard not to have it affect your confidence when you get back in the air. I hope you are taken care of, I'm sure you will be, Yuneec has been great towards me in standing behind their product.

Thank you very much, Chad. As you know, "misery loves company," so your kind words and empathy really mean alot to me, as do the experiences you have had with Yuneec. Makes me feel hopeful instead of hopeless.

I will definitely work hard and be mindful to thwart off any feelings of a lack of confidence that may come my way when I get a Typhoon H back in my hands. Once I do, my plan is to finish up the filming I was doing when this event occurred to complete the project I've been working on and to try not to let this incident faze me.

Thanks, again, for reaching out to me, as other kind people have done here, too. I hope you continue to enjoy your H, that the market is treating you especially well these days, and that you enjoy a great weekend flying, spending time with your family, or just enjoying Life. Take care and I'll talk with you again soon.

Sorry for coming in so late. Not to imply anything negative but I sent in my telemetry on Monday for my lost TH. Just got off the phone with them and they said that there was no update but hopefully by the end of the day they would get back to me.

Still hoping that it was technology that failed and not my piloting. It was my 71st take-off. I have since gone back to my Phantom which I have less time on just to get my confidence back. Five missions with her since then has really helped but I'm still a little edgy when I lift off.

I too had to get back on the horse right away. I feel that if I had waited for Yuneec that I may never have gotten back in the air. Hope that everything works out for you .

I see you can relate 100% with the situation I now find myself in, Foxs1. Sorry to hear about your Typhoon troubles, but I truly appreciate you and your words of support. Both are quite meaningful to me and welcomed.

I hope Yuneec treats both of us kindly and fairly when they do get back to us. From the experiences others have had with Yuneec - from PatR's to ChadCloses' most recent visit to their California headquarters where he was very well treated - I believe we are in pretty good hands. Yuneec seems poised to stand behind their product line and truly support their customer base as much as as possible while still making good business sense, which they must do. I'll be somewhat surprised if we are just left hanging in the winds as our Typhoon's unfortunately were.

Best of luck to you, and it's a great idea to get back up in the air ASAP to ride that horse high and mighty once again. I do have a Mavic Pro I can fly; I was going to wait until my new Typhoon arrived to take to the skies again. But in hindsight that thought may have been colored by my unexpected troubles I experienced yesterday. (The human mind is a complicated thing crammed into a tiny space.) Perhaps I should just pull out my Mavic before the day ends and just zoom around for awhile instead of just waiting for another Typhoon H to arrive.

Yep, that's what I'm going to do. The Mavic is not my beloved Typhoon H, but flying anything for awhile WILL help me out in several ways. Drone flying is one of my favorite things to do, and being outside easily beats doing the indoor office work I face daily (and that never seems to go away) hands down. Thanks for the little push you gave me, intentionally or by accident. It was just what I needed. I'll let everyone know just how things shake out with Yuneec once I get their verdict. Take care and I'll talk with you again later.

I did my flight test shortly after I'd got the H and before the firmware update that allowed the switching of the GPS while in flight. Since I was still fairly new to the H and mainly because I knew that both a 'Loss of GPS Procedure' and the 'Return To Home failsafe procedure' would be parts of the test among other safety procedures, I decided to play it safe and use a Phantom 2 V+ for the test instead, simply because I'd had two years previous experience with it...not because it was any better than the H (infact the H is far superior), I just knew it better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss