Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why TH has range issues?

What com module is the TH Plus is using?

IIRC Yuneec uses a Zigbee 2.4 GHz chipset as the base for their control commands. Not sure what is used for the 5.8GHz video. GPS satellites operate on three bands:

GPS L1 Band: 1575.42 MHz with a bandwidth of 15.345 MHz
GPS L2 Band: 1227.6 MHz with a bandwidth of 11 MHz
GPS L5 Band: 1176.45 MHz with a bandwidth of 12.5 MHz

But that is the GPS signal itself and is not something passed between the controller/transmitter in your hands and the aircraft.

The GPS antenna in the ST16(S) is under the Micro USB port at the base.

IIRC Yuneec uses a Zigbee 2.4 GHz chipset as the base for their control commands. Not sure what is used for the 5.8GHz video. GPS satellites operate on three bands:

GPS L1 Band: 1575.42 MHz with a bandwidth of 15.345 MHz
GPS L2 Band: 1227.6 MHz with a bandwidth of 11 MHz
GPS L5 Band: 1176.45 MHz with a bandwidth of 12.5 MHz

But that is the GPS signal itself and is not something passed between the controller/transmitter in your hands and the aircraft.

The GPS antenna in the ST16(S) is under the Micro USB port at the base.

int _serial_fd{-1}; ///< serial interface to SAtGPSH520

unsigned _baudrate{0}; ///< current baudrate

const unsigned _configured_baudrate{0}; ///< configured baudrate (0=auto-detect)

char _port[20] {}; ///< device / serial port path

bool _healthy{false}; ///< flag to signal if the GPS is ok

bool _mode_auto; ///< if true, auto-detect which GPS is attached
bool _mode_auto; ///< if true, auto-detect which SAT is attached

gps_driver_mode_t _mode; ///< current mode

GPSHelper::Interface _interface; ///< interfaceH520

GPSHelper *_helper{nullptr}; ///< instance of GPS parser

GPS_Sat_Info *_sat_info{nullptr}; ///< instance of GPS sat info data object

vehicle_gps_position_s _report_gps_pos{}; ///< uORB topic for gps position

satellite_info_s *_p_report_sat_info{nullptr}; ///< pointer to uORB topic for satellite info

orb_advert_t _report_gps_pos_pub{nullptr}; ///< uORB pub for gps position

orb_advert_t _report_sat_info_pub{nullptr}; ///< uORB pub for satellite info

int _gps_orb_instance{-1}; ///< uORB multi-topic instance

int _gps_sat_orb_instance{-1}; ///< uORB multi-topic instance for satellite info

float _rate{0.0f}; ///< position update rate

float _rate_rtcm_injection{0.0f}; ///< RTCM message injection rate

unsigned _last_rate_rtcm_injection_count{0}; ///< counter for number of RTCM messages

const bool _fake_gps; ///< fake gps output

const Instance _instance;

int _orb_inject_data_fd{-1};

orb_advert_t _dump_communication_pub{nullptr}; ///< if non-null, dump communication

gps_dump_s *_dump_to_device{nullptr};

gps_dump_s *_dump_from_device{nullptr};

static volatile bool _is_gps_main_advertised; ///< for the second gps we want to make sure that it gets instance 1

/// and thus we wait until the first one publishes at least one message.

static volatile GPS *_secondary_instance;

volatile GPSRestartType _scheduled_reset{GPSRestartType::None};

The RC and AC is constantly communicating to the module PX4. You are giving me antenna info. RC RX PX4 AC collect signals from orbiting satellites to determine position, speed, and time, regardless of you’re none gps: Telemetry., signal com strength, and uninterrupted signal for flight success. This navigation system is more accurate than over forms of navigation, and provides position knowledge to within a few meters. But, Yuneec is limiting the H Plus full capabilities. Advanced GPS/SAT Com systems can provide even better accuracies to within a few centimeters. A few members on here has demonstrated by unleashing the H or the H Plus capabilities of our drones. On the H is the UAV Toolbox, the H Plus, the relocation of the compass and shielding of the RS module.

All of these matters to a working operator. And some of us do not hover on an AMA field, we refer to have creative freedom to fly, thus. We upgraded, and modify if needed.

All the GPS does is pass information to the FC for positioning, it has nothing to do with the connection between the aircraft and transmitter, how far away you can operate, or the quality of the connection. And spare me your snide remarks about flying hovering at AMA fields. Ad hominem attacks are an indication of the weakness of an argument.

All the GPS does is pass information to the FC for positioning, it has nothing to do with the connection between the aircraft and transmitter, how far away you can operate, or the quality of the connection. And spare me your snide remarks about flying hovering at AMA fields. Ad hominem attacks are an indication of the weakness of an argument.

I'm not attacking you, as you are trolling on me, everyone knows that I turn you on, and I am not arguing, with you, just stating the facts. I am 90% incorrect, I am just relying what I know from reading the manual and things to keep me flying safe.
These are not traditonal remote controlled models that are flying within a confined space, some of us use it for work. We are not surveyors, as you lectured me in one of your DM at commercial pilot, and you by all people (as you say, you fly drones for work) know the importance of a distance test (beyond the hover)and the importance of com links.

Sir, I am not arguing, with you, but do not try to steal our thunder by educating us about the FCC and FAA regulations, because your redirect will lead to the best antics that you know., keep those in your AMA field. Some of us has been there, done that. Give us some us something of value to talk about, DYI, Mod or anything that is helpful, instead of trolling.

Cheers, be blessed, and happy Tuesday. :)

I’d like to point out that without having more than two GPS receivers working in conjunction with some computational interface it’s nigh on impossible to obtain a few centimeters of accuracy. Using three gps receivers, with two of them in fixed locations, is doing good to obtain accuracy within 20cm.

One of the several means used to establish positional accuracy when using GPS is CEP, or circular error of probability. As we aren’t provided military grade GPS signal accuracy, something that’s encrypted and requires digital “keys” to unlock, we have to deal with a degraded level of accuracy that only multiple receivers linked to a computer algorithm can better define for increased accuracy. Even with that positional accuracy is not precise. We are led to believe it is though various brand advertising, but it’s not.

In any case, GPS is not needed to successfully fly long distances. Our old 72MHz frequency could and still can fly many miles without GPS and if you can “see” the flight path there are no problems flying distance. That’s pretty much why FPV systems were developed. Even longer range is present using 800MHz. The C2 (command and control) frequency link is what determines how far we can fly. GPS only provides a positional reference. We should remember that long before GPS sats were launched a system called inertial navigation was employed to determine position, and did so with extreme accuracy.

I’d like to point out that without having more than two GPS receivers working in conjunction with some computational interface it’s nigh on impossible to obtain a few centimeters of accuracy. Using three gps receivers, with two of them in fixed locations, is doing good to obtain accuracy within 20cm.

One of the several means used to establish positional accuracy when using GPS is CEP, or circular error of probability. As we aren’t provided military grade GPS signal accuracy, something that’s encrypted and requires digital “keys” to unlock, we have to deal with a degraded level of accuracy that only multiple receivers linked to a computer algorithm can better define for increased accuracy. Even with that positional accuracy is not precise. We ate led to believe it is though various brand advertising, but it’s not.

In any case, GPS is not needed to successfully fly long distances. Our ild 72MHz frequency could and still can fly many miles without GPS and if you can “see” the flight path there are no problems flying distance. Even longer range is present using 800MHz. The C2 frequency link is what determines how far we can fly. GPS only provides a positional reference.

Not necessary to fly with GPS, the sUAS can switch to Attitude Mode/None GPS anytime. Every code has a "false" for this reason. For RC com. Most remote control drones use 900 MHz for transmission. Higher frequencies in the 2.4 GHz range are predominantly used for Wi-Fi and Yuneec added the PX4 system due to the reliability, when the TEL_FRSKY_ code was written, and it benefited DataPilot as it unleashed accurate 3D Mapping capabilities for Sat Com not loosing communication to the sUAS via satellite, while executing a way point mission.

If by “most” you are referring to a brand I would agree with the 900 band reference but outside of a certain brand most have and still use the same 2.4MhZ frequency hop transmission systems that have been employed by model airplanes since 72MhZ was phased out for C2. If most were using 900MhZ the effective control range would be much further that currently experienced. If we were to accurately used “most” to describe the majority of multirotors sold we would be referring to “toy” sub $300.00 type multirotors as they are the majority of the multirotors sold and they most certainly do not employ 900MhZ in any format. Note that PX4 is based heavily on earlier APM and Pixhawk FC systems that both generally employed a standard 2.4GhZ receiver and Tx for C2. Extended range telemetry was established using a separate 900MhZ radio module. Flight planning was built via computer on the ground using Mission Planner (MP) and uplinked to the FC prior to take off. QGC and DataPilot are but an upgraded version of MP.

Just as an FYI, the ability to employ a second multirotor aircraft GPS system originated with APM before Pixhawk and PX4 came about. Pixhawk enabled an easier interface of a second system. APM is also where OA originated using sonar, similar to what Yuneec employs today. The first LIDAR based systems employed for multirotors were also designed during the APM hey day but they overwhelmed APM with data. The introduction of Pixhawk provided a lot more computational ability. Pixhawk and PX4 are not that much different but PX4 provides a means for users to develop and integrate operational code that is not not bound by open source sharing rules that hinder Pixhawk and APM.

Last edited:
Sure Ardu paved the way, no doubt, no contest, and for 3D Robotics (3DR), who allow us to build a UAV using awesome open source flight control systems APM and PX4, as well as introducing datapilot.

BTW,

I’m not disputing your efforts and accomplishments, just clarifying that GPS is not necessary for long range flight operations. Many were the times myself and others had to hand fly an aircraft 30-50 or more miles or for hours in a holding pattern waiting for sunrise because GPS had failed and all that was left was the C2 and video links. We had no idea where the aircraft was but knew where it needed to go;). All we had were visual ground references to guide us. Pretty much the same things a VFR full scale pilot has when flying a limited avionics plane like an old Cub or T-Craft, or an ultralight pilot, where all they might have is a compass, altimeter, tach, and slip/skid indicator. They navigate through the use of visual ground reference points.

BTW,

I’m not disputing your efforts and accomplishments, just clarifying that GPS is not necessary for long range flight operations. Many were the times myself and others had to hand fly an aircraft 30-50 or more miles or for hours in a holding pattern waiting for sunrise because GPS had failed and all that was left was the C2 and video links. All we had were visual ground references to guide us. Pretty much the same things a VFR full scale pilot has when flying a limited avionics plane like an old Cub or T-Craft, or an ultralight pilot, where all they might have is a compass, altimeter, tach, and slip/skid indicator.

I don’t know if you agree, with me on this that Yuneec is limiting the full capabilities of the TH Plus?

I’m sure they are. They have most certainly reduced the effectiveness of both the Pixhawk and PX4 systems in both the H and H Plus. Why is an unknown but it is so just the same.

Where extended range limitations are concerned I find it hard to disagree with policies that may be in place to insure owners can’t operate illegally with box stock equipment. The law is pretty clear in that regard as it pretty much states “thou shalt not” operate beyond VLOS with the unaided human eye. It does not make exceptions for those in a quest for personal financial gain or satisfaction.

The law says the same thing about murder and bank robbery yet there are those that disregard the law anyway. Heavy truck makers and large trucking companies started incorporating speed governors years ago to prevent drivers from speeding, which has largely been effective in reducing corporate liability. We should remember it’s the deep pockets lawyers go after for the monetary judgements that make them wealthy.

We should not blame a manufacturer for limitations intended to protect them from the transgressions of product owners. They should not be made responsible for the acts of people that choose to break the law, and lacking such limitation a manufacturer will certainly be made liable in product liability litigation the moment an unrestricted drone causes severe injury, death, or property damage a significant distance from the operator. Even the exalted, Honorable Mr. Schulman won’t be able to mitigate that. The only protection the manufacturer could have will be in having corporate headquarters in a country where they can’t be touched.

Power is only good up to a point. Wavelength has as much or more to do with range as power. Both 2.4 and 5.8 are short wavelength and easy to obstruct regardless of power level. Using 2.4 for video signal I’ve flown a system out over 140 miles at less than 2 watts but that signal was transmitted using an amplified actively directional antenna that remained oriented with the aircraft regardless of position. However, the further away the plane was the higher it had to be to remain clear of ground clutter and remain above the curvature of the earth. Regardless of RF power it still needed to maintain a clear path between the transmitting and receiving antennas.

BTW, using the same power and an omni antenna cut range down to just over 10 miles.
140 miles? What were you flying, military airplane drones?

My Autel Evo has a range of 7km in ideal conditions, I've never taken it further than a mile and a half. I have to say it is nice to know that I can cover that kind of range if needed.

When I bought this H Pro, i did so knowing of its limited range, i don't foresee any problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval