Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Wind strength meter

Reaction score
I've looked at a few apps for checking wind strength. One of the better ones I discovered was "Wind Meter" by Going Apps. There is a cost... In Australia it's $1.49, but to you people fortunate enough to be in the USA, it'll work out to less than a dollar I believe. That, when our exchange rate is 1 Australian $ equaling about US75c... You do the math, and who's getting ripped off?
Anyway, it's a worthwhile app if you want to check it out.

"If I Only Had a Heart" ! Dorothy would say, you chose to live in the Land of Oz ! LOL You know the movie right ! Just messing with you!, cool wind meter I paid $2 bucks to make you feel better!

I bought an actual anemometer from Amazon. How can an app on something that doesnt sense wind give an actual wind speed? I dont understand. I assume you are talking an app on a phone or tablet?
Amazon Anemometer
$23
heh! You guys/gals are spending thousands of dollars on a hobby, why not the tens of dollars to be safe?

I bought an actual anemometer from Amazon. How can an app on something that doesnt sense wind give an actual wind speed? I dont understand. I assume you are talking an app on a phone or tablet?
Amazon Anemometer
$23
heh! You guys/gals are spending thousands of dollars on a hobby, why not the tens of dollars to be safe?
It is a app, and I wondered the same thing ! Hey Mortalis, can is measure the speed of a fart ? Weather.com works for me, it's always about 1-2 miles per hour accurate compared to the digital equipment we have at the heliport at my work. Plus like I have learned from flying a airplane, it's never the same up above( usually windier) and you can't measure from the ground, what's happening above anyways. I'd save the money and buy a 18 pack! LOL ;)

It is a app, and I wondered the same thing ! Hey Mortalis, can is measure the speed of a fart ? Weather.com works for me, it's always about 1-2 miles per hour accurate compared to the digital equipment we have at the heliport at my work. Plus like I have learned from flying a airplane, it's never the same up above( usually windier) and you can't measure from the ground, what's happening above anyways. I'd save the money and buy a 18 pack! LOL ;)
Yeah, well, since I don't smoke or drink I have a lot of spare cash hanging about.;-p
I bought it mostly so I could begin to get a feel for how much wind I can actually fly in. I recently went with some guys from the hobby shop I frequent that fly the larger helis and the wind was hiding maybe 10mph. The Q held steady enough that the video was ok but I couldn't get close enough to get good shots without endangering their birds because the Q was being tossed about quite a bit.

Yeah, well, since I don't smoke or drink I have a lot of spare cash hanging about.;-p
I bought it mostly so I could begin to get a feel for how much wind I can actually fly in. I recently went with some guys from the hobby shop I frequent that fly the larger helis and the wind was hiding maybe 10mph. The Q held steady enough that the video was ok but I couldn't get close enough to get good shots without endangering their birds because the Q was being tossed about quite a bit.
Never stated they we not good, I personally just have no need for one. You are right most mid weight UAV's in wind over 12 mph tend to get tossed around, especially flying around Big Brothers! LOL ! Safe Flying my Friend

I've looked at a few apps for checking wind strength. One of the better ones I discovered was "Wind Meter" by Going Apps. There is a cost... In Australia it's $1.49, but to you people fortunate enough to be in the USA, it'll work out to less than a dollar I believe. That, when our exchange rate is 1 Australian $ equaling about US75c... You do the math, and who's getting ripped off?
Anyway, it's a worthwhile app if you want to check it out.
Check out the UAV Forecast app, It covers all of the parameters based on your local forecast. Otherwise, an anemometer is the way to go for on location readings. :)

Use the bird and tree method. If the birds are going backwards flying into the wind and upper tree branches are touching the ground, bag it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey PatR, I use the same method seems to work out to be correct most the time

Anemometer at a meter or two above the ground gives no indication of strength or direction of wind at 30 meters. Olde RC sailplane guy here and I've sold and given all my anemometers away. They all do a fair job. Inexpensive ones from Hobby King or the elegant ones that plug into your smart phone.such as Weather Flow Wind Meter for Smart Phones.

If you can't get your Q to fly forward up wind; it's too strong to fly cuz if you get down wind in error you can't RTH :)

One pilot, two craft, different POV

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval