Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Worried about range?

Reaction score
Am I alone in being really worried about the range on the H especially in not so good areas? It could be really low especially compared to P4.

Nope. Under FAA UAS rules in the USA (don't know what the other countries are setting up) you have to keep the drone in VLS. So with an expected range of 1600 meters (or 5280 feet/ 1 mile) that drone will be awfully small (not falling into the VLS category) and I really doubt you can differentiate orientation so you would be flying FPV not VLS.... so not complying with the UAS rules. Question.... why would want or need to fly out 1 mile? If you have an emergency (battery issue is the most common) you'll never get it back to you so you will have to perform a forced landing where the drone is at. Not fun. The "H" will be much easier since you have a camera that can tilt down 90 deg's so you can see ground and what your landing on. I also have seen that the "H" will have bottom facing ultrasonic sensors for better auto landing......

I appreciate your reply and understand what you are saying, although you are talking about the maximum range (which will be plenty) but will it even achieve quater the said distance in un ideal situations. I really want to keep my H pre order but I can't deny I'm worried

If you are the adventurous type, can can always install a DBS range booster to your controller and meet or exceed the P4 in distance, I use one on all my UAV's, but mainly just for better reception, video lagging and cut outs

Reactions: Liketogethigh
I've seen test video's at 1000 meters and no loss of control or lag. If your going to be flying around objects your going to have to test.... There's no standard answer there because of the object density, surrounding structures, composition (metal, glass, wood..ect). Which brings up good question..... What's the failsafe mode on the "H". I know my 3DR Pixhawk has a failsafe mode when signal is lost....

Interesting to see the data on the P4 and H transmitters and how Yuneec is lower power on the same frequencies. BUT, they seem to have removable antenna's on the ST16 which just cries for high gain antennas and boosters. I'm surprised they could do that as the FCC usually makes manufacturers use fixed antennas that can't easily be swapped out. Regardless of how far I fly… I always like to have a bit "extra" power for high RF areas and making sure I don't lose video/connection. So many devices on these two bands makes nothing certain to keep a connection.

Interesting to see the data on the P4 and H transmitters and how Yuneec is lower power on the same frequencies. BUT, they seem to have removable antenna's on the ST16 which just cries for high gain antennas and boosters. I'm surprised they could do that as the FCC usually makes manufacturers use fixed antennas that can't easily be swapped out. Regardless of how far I fly… I always like to have a bit "extra" power for high RF areas and making sure I don't lose video/connection. So many devices on these two bands makes nothing certain to keep a connection.
Hal, DJI gets it's distance not from the controller per say, but from a patented "Lighbridge" which operates independent of wifi as does most all other UAV's. Lightbridge is greater by far and signal strength than wifi alone.

If there is a range problem, due to interference, someone will come up with a fix.

I can say that earlier this year I had the DJI Phantom 3 Standard along with the Advanced & Professional. The Phantom 3 Standard uses WiFi and the Advanced/Standard use LightBridge (same as the Phantom 4). WiFi requires error checking, so in simple terms the Phantom sends out it's signal to the controller and the controller must send back a response that it's been received. This means that if anything blocks the signal coming or going to the Phantom and Controller, the data packet must be resent. This is how the Typhoon H operates. Some short range & long range are all dictated by interference. Everyone on this forum will get different results in different settings.

Regarding the Phantom 4 and Phantom Professional/Advanced. They use DJI LightBridge. This works a tiny bit like WiFi except the Phantom and controller just fire out a highly compressed encrypted beam of data and both do not need to receive a response in order to action the request, so it's basically a one way system. Because of this the information is flying around the air regardless of interference and the Phantom and controller will pick it up if it exists (no response needs to be sent that it's been received). So with the Phantom 4, Professional or Advanced you can achieve short and long range with much less interference.

So in summary, if you get a Typhoon H, you may get great range or not so great range with or without interference, it all depends. The fix will be in reducing the interference either by your flying location and/or by orientation of the controller and/or by upgrading the antennas on the controller, etc.

Reactions: Liketogethigh
Hal, DJI gets it's distance not from the controller per say, but from a patented "Lighbridge" which operates independent of wifi as does most all other UAV's. Lightbridge is greater by far and signal strength than wifi alone.

I have the Phantom 2…. Thought some of the DJI light bridge was added gear and not out of the box. I know for earlier models they had some set up that cost more then the drone for added range

I have the Phantom 2…. Thought some of the DJI light bridge was added gear and not out of the box. I know for earlier models they had some set up that cost more then the drone for added range
Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced, and the Phantom 4 all have Lightbridge as standard, built in.

can you always get

Long Range KIT - FPVLR

is a 10.5 dBi half sphere helix 2.4GHz LHCP and a proprietary FPVLR 9.3DBI parasitic disk helix 5.8ghz LHCP to give you very wide beam width and ease of aiming, yet some very usable directional gain to increase both your video and rc and telemetry about 3x vs stock antennas.

I can tell you guys. The Phantom p3 and p4 have greater range, but are these guys happy? No, they are a disastifed lot, just look at the p3 abd p4 FB groups and they are mod ding them for eve greater distance and boasting it.

With the p2+ mise seemed happy with what they had and distance, but since the p3 still not happy and those guys are wrecking our hobby

Many are accually claiming the p3 had better range over the p4.

The Yuneec H has enough distance for most abd to many Phantom owners are just to obsessed by distance.

I can tell you guys. The Phantom p3 and p4 have greater range, but are these guys happy? No, they are a disastifed lot, just look at the p3 abd p4 FB groups and they are mod ding them for eve greater distance and boasting it.

With the p2+ mise seemed happy with what they had and distance, but since the p3 still not happy and those guys are wrecking our hobby

Many are accually claiming the p3 had better range over the p4.

The Yuneec H has enough distance for most abd to many Phantom owners are just to obsessed by distance.
Denodan, no one is arguing, distance rules should be obeyed for the good of the hobby, I am with you on this! But 500 feet or 700 feet is not even out of the line of site in alot of circumstances!. Alot of us on here want extended quality of video feed for filming, not necessarily distance. FYI, I have a P2, P3 and P4 and I can tell you from first had that the P4 gets a noticeable amount of distance better than the 2 or 3 ! and is way way more stable of a machine!, But I am looking more forward to the benefits of the H, for my video filming and it's features that can aid in many areas the Phantoms can't.:)

Reactions: JohnL
I'm with DroneClone on this issue.... Me being around 2-way radio, wireless mics, etc for a long time---- I'd like to point out that mod'ing transmitters in the US often changes the FCC acceptance and these controllers may no longer be considered "approved". What does that mean? Usually not much to users, but often concerns about additional interference the transmitter may cause/receive. When antenna are fixed (like with DJI), the FCC approved them that way and one isn't suppose to remove it and put a jumper inside the controller to add different antennas---- WIth the ST16/ST24, they are FCC approved with removable antennas which allow for putting higher gain/different pattern antennas. If you look at the power output of the Yuneec ground stations...You'll see it is lower then others.... One might ask "why"? perhaps because they have the ability to for users to swap out the antenna for others? Something we are seeking to do in this forum.

Bottom line for me.... I like to see the drone when I fly and will use this for videography. I want a solid signal for confidence in control and little/no lag time for the video. I intend on flying in team mode with a second user watching a bigger monitor for camera shots---- I'm curious to see how clean the HDMI output is for other purposes of using the live video feed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop