Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Your Ideal Aircraft / FC System

Reaction score
Yes, there’s a drone that’s close to being perfect that’s flying my bigger accounts, and surveyors use daily, but it’s not a hex, and it’s not my Typhoon H+ I like my H+ very much and I want it to succeed.

OK, I'll bite... care to share what your bigger accounts, close to perfect drone is in your opinion?

On a related subject; what autonomous software are you using and program for post processing?

OK, I'll bite... care to share what your bigger accounts, close to perfect drone is in your opinion?

On a related subject; what autonomous software are you using and program for post processing?

For me the candidate would be an Alta, Aerial Alchemy Y6, or Falcon 8. All carry much better cameras than any consumer drone, have payload diversity, and use an FC and software the owner can modify as desired. There are a couple others in that category but two things are consistent across all of them; they are not made by the usual gamut of consumer drones and all were developed around serving the high end commercial user and they are pricy.

For me the candidate would be an Alta, Aerial Alchemy Y6, or Falcon 8. All carry much better cameras than any consumer drone, have payload diversity, and use an FC and software the owner can modify as desired. There are a couple others in that category but two things are consistent across all of them; they are not made by the usual gamut of consumer drones and all were developed around serving the high end commercial user and they are pricy.
Very Nice, you dug down into the Money Bag to pull these babies! You're referencing some pretty impressive platforms... any of these old contacts from military drone days? These are beasts of machines, well beyond the reach of most... at least the non-corp sized shops. The Alta 8 starts at $18K and I don't think that is ready to fly electronically. The Aerial Alchemy Y6 is extremely impressive, but not for sale... US Navy contracts keeping them busy for next several years and we both know the Navy is paying them very hefty prices for the whole package. The Falcon 8 would be my favorite if the Loto was nice to me; outside the Matrice600Pro or S1000 A3/LB2 platform. The Falcon 8 has a very compact, unique design & shape, but it too requires it's own dedicated "huge" FC station to reap the full benefit... and it's avg config starts at $20K and options take it to $35K pretty quick. As an added variable; most New Pilots that entered the Drone landscape within the last 8-10 years or so aren't used to multiple packages arriving requiring hours to build, program, tweak & tune. That might be overwhelming for most. For those that want this level of hardware, including the build & customized for your specific needs could contact AV8Chuck for a complete package.

Back to the size that fits my billfold, I was curious as to the ideal drone selection for construction focus when a H-Plus is being used for survey work without supportive autonomous software (Tuna's code on H-Plus?) to control the pattern or grid, consistant photo overlaps, and to process the data for scaled construction overlays for autocad, create geo maps, or 3D Pt-cloud & mesh forming. I'm probably missing something, but UgCS, Agisoft PhotoScan and most others only support the H520 on the Yuneec platform. A popular construction platform recently added RTK... the RT Phantom, not my choice but I was curious to what is considered almost ideal for construction related projects from the perspective of a professional involved in the construction daily grind. I'd like to consider if it's within my budget, maybe sell some of my larger platforms that were intended to be used in multiple facets in future work.

Last edited:
Electronically, the Alta is ready to fly at its entry price. Not with a camera or gimbal though. I have a hands on history with some FreeFly products; Cinestar and Radian.

Association wise, both the Falcon and A.A. products stem from earlier efforts to promote a commercial unmanned advocacy group. I did say they were pricy, yes? Get on the good side of them and A.A. opportunities could present themselves. Well worth it as they don’t need to be replaced as new models come on the market. They are simply upgraded with new equipment and soft/firmware as it becomes available and can be repaired if needed at home. They certainly are not for everyone though.

When talking price points we need to consider the cost of everything involved. Just for the heck of it, what did the total come to for that M-200 with batteries, cameras, and the rest of the associated system requirements set you back[emoji6]

Last edited:
@Dougcjohn

Man! I have not seen the Falcon 8 in real life, only in YouTube and also read its problems in flight and it is minimal.

Agisoft, Recap Pro are independent platforms that supports all cameras, even a cellphone camera, and true that! The H plus needs a mission hub to plan and create waypoints.

DJI RTK implementation just added a new level in doing survey/mapping. The H Series can do more, and I believe that Yuneec can be the next leader in aerial survey, because it’s an affordable hex and hex drones has one great capability in flight and that it is able to hold a straight grid patterned flight, where the DJI Mavic, Phantom, and inspire tend to miss the target (by a mile) when shooting pipe layout or even a simple rebar grid work.

I would pay for an App similar to what @Tuna has made for the H480.

@Dougcjohn

Man! I have not seen the Falcon 8 in real life, only in YouTube and also read its problems in flight and it is minimal.

Agisoft, Recap Pro are independent platforms that supports all cameras, even a cellphone camera, and true that! The H plus needs a mission hub to plan and create waypoints.

DJI RTK implementation just added a new level in doing survey/mapping. The H Series can do more, and I believe that Yuneec can be the next leader in aerial survey, because it’s an affordable hex and hex drones has one great capability in flight and that it is able to hold a straight grid patterned flight, where the DJI Mavic, Phantom, and inspire tend to miss the target (by a mile) when shooting pipe layout or even a simple rebar grid work.

Looking forward to your opinion... post #41 above if you missed it.

Lost me on your reply, I was mentioning software... Agisoft PhotoScan and UgCS are pricey fully autonomous packaged software suite: PC programs & RC App that collect, process, generate output data & reports for multiple mission categories of autonomous, grid, terrain software that's dedicated toward various aerial platforms. The H520 is the only bird by Yuneec supported by most 3rd party developers in these programs and drone focused 3D programs. I'd take Reality Capture before RecapPro. The various support for the H520 is one reason why I've pondered a H520.

What are you using to collect your construction site data... I get the feeling you're free flying or using the included ST16 modes, which is capable for some aspect but not for many others to obtain the data. I'm a bit confused on your point of "holding a line", I've not experienced any free form flying to be close to accurate and from an aspect of pilot control not GPS accuracy. If using GPS, I don't think the base GPS is much different and if it's off, IMU & Compass calibrations wold be suggested, but if critical RTK brings that down to a few CM.

Looking forward to your opinion... post #41 above if you missed it.

Lost me on your reply, I was mentioning software... Agisoft PhotoScan and UgCS are pricey fully autonomous packaged software suite: PC programs & RC App that collect, process, generate output data & reports for multiple mission categories of autonomous, grid, terrain software that's dedicated toward various aerial platforms. The H520 is the only bird by Yuneec supported by most 3rd party developers in these programs and drone focused 3D programs. I'd take Reality Capture before RecapPro. The various support for the H520 is one reason why I've pondered a H520.

What are you using to collect your construction site data... I get the feeling you're free flying or using the included ST16 modes, which is capable for some aspect but not for many others to obtain the data. I'm a bit confused on your point of "holding a line", I've not experienced any free form flying to be close to accurate and from an aspect of pilot control not GPS accuracy. If using GPS, I don't think the base GPS is much different but if critical RTK brings that down to a few CM.

Agisoft Photoscan is not that expensive, one contract can pay for the software, two years ago, I switched to ReCap Pro. I collect my materials via Litchi, Drone Deploy or GSP Pro.

Holding the line: When you’re gridding Pipe, rebar, beams. You want the drone to fly, following a straight line, this method is similar to what DD and DJI use “Capture at Equal Dist. Interval or Capture at Equal Time Interval”

When the job does not call for an absolute accuracy, I fly shooting a video, aided by 3rd party apps that are able plan and create a waypoint , then I extract photos from a video.

Agisoft Photoscan is not that expensive, one contract can pay for the software, two years ago, I switched to ReCap Pro. I collect my materials via Litchi, Drone Deploy or GSP Pro.

Holding the line: When you’re gridding Pipe, rebar, beams. You want the drone to fly, following a straight line, this method is similar to what DD and DJI use “Capture at Equal Dist. Interval or Capture at Equal Time Interval”

When the job does not call for an absolute accuracy, I fly shooting a video, aided by 3rd party apps that are able plan and create a waypoint , then I extract photos from a video.

PhotoScan isn't prohibitive, although at $3500 it's considered pricey and it's a bit off from a freebie.
Online Store

Where's the H-Plus fit in this scheme... those are all DJI apps?
And your response... #41... your almost ideal drone? Got that drum roll.... :)

Last edited:

Interesting... I looked up RecapPro, it's a cloud based engine and subscription based... no prepetual license.
But very modest in price at $40 per month or $300 per yer... and nice reviews. Still like Reality Capture by CapturingReality for it's local engine, speed & accuracy but at $4500 prepetual license, it too is pricey. Home - CapturingReality.com

I’m afraid those expensive perpetual license services is the direction the service market is taking. If we look at all the “partnership” press releases from aerospace outfits teaming with cloud service providers, along with software and product development business acquisitions by that same group we might start thinking the ground work for industry enterprise solutions is being laid.

I don’t want to sound doom and gloom but the way the new 448 is written the “stake holders” can drive regulatory changes at will, and any changes will be to their benefit, not ours.

@Dougcjohn

I meant to include in last few posts, but get off on thought.
You work and it's activity sounds great! Full time droning work... and productive income.... outstanding!
I'm in a build up process to retire, have the bulk of business paid before it's the primary. I have the benefit to experiment, explore and learn and not needing to make a living yet.
Care to share a short chapter how you got into this field full time?

Reactions: PatR
I’m afraid those expensive perpetual license services is the direction the service market is taking. If we look at all the “partnership” press releases from aerospace outfits teaming with cloud service providers, along with software and product development business acquisitions by that same group we might start thinking the ground work for industry enterprise solutions is being laid.

I don’t want to sound doom and gloom but the way the new 448 is written the “stake holders” can drive regulatory changes at will, and any changes will be to their benefit, not ours.

Ya, I believe you're correct. I even foresee the free RC software (FW) becoming a maintenance support contract. Many service apps will become mandatory to meet new regulations.

These other map, grid, terrain type programs are very powerful tools, I'm actually a bit in awe what they can do compared to just 5 years ago. The 3D technology is simply amazing to me, but the associated costs to acquire several of these tools is pricey!

The cost to develop and perfect them, let alone maintain them isn’t cheap either.

A couple years ago there was a company named 2d something or other from RPR’s neck of the woods that had been developing some rather fascinating cloud based service programs along with some astounding payloads that took full advantage of them. Their multiple target video tracking system and mapping programs were amazing. All their public promo videos disappeared after a big UAV company bought them for big $$.

That was an oblique inference to what I believe to be happening.

You mentioned overly large control station in a previous post. Best guess is a multiple screen ground station will soon become a “standard” for serious commercial operators. They’ll need more than one to view everything that will be required for operations.

Last edited:
@Dougcjohn man! How I got into this is pure LUCK! 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with PTSD it was not evident when I was in military service, not until a stressor was triggered, when I worked as a paramedic in the local fire dept.

I took a year off and clear my head and went back home to Hawaii (Maui) in 2013 and when I came back, my first day in the mainland I took my wife’s dog out for a run in an area called “the fields”

And noticed a few people with nice cars, looking around as though they’re lost. Long story short. 5 years ago, I met Harmony development and Lennar development. I asked of what they are doing in an empty field, they told me that they are looking at the airplane, who’s surveying the land. I told them that I have a drone and I can easily take photos.

Harmony asked, if I’m licensed to fly my drone (I was not) I said, yes. Fully insured, yes (but I wasn’t) ready to work in a week, I asked if they can give me a month, and within a month, my wife and researched on getting my insurance and I studied for my Part 107 exam. During my first year of flying, I got bored, because I was shooting empty fields, and during my first year, I often find myself being stuck on stupid. So, I went back to school and took the basic introduction to autocad and as well as joined Drone Deploy’s meetups.

3yrs ago, I ended my contact with Harmony development and Lennar picked me up. Lennar has opened a lot of doors for me, and has met a lot of developers along the way. Cemex, KB Homes, De’Silva, Young and Reeves, Anton, Toll Brothers, PG&E as well as Cemex.

I work 7 days a week, I’ve only been sick once, I wake up at 5am and end my day at 11pm. I work fast, and deliver the materials in a timely manner.

To be honest, I at times feel that drone mapping is over rated, and hyped up due to it’s coolness. Lol.. Because 85% of the time, I am doing inspections, asset management (security guard with a drone) shooting stockpiles inventory, and documenting the phases of the build.

Last week, I flew for M.A Mortenson in Las Vegas, surveying the Las Vegas Raiders Stadium. I won the bid (through the blessings on Lennar) I am now 1 of 2 drone operators that’s contracted for this project, and am amongst few drone operators, none media that the FAA has granted a waiver of airspace use.

One day, I want to fly my H+ in some of these pits, because during my first year DJI broke my heart and wallet. Hahaha.
(But my (plotter) Mavics and Inspire 1 v2 (mapper) are my go to. I hope that one day, I can take the H+ to some of these areas.

BTW. Harmony development are Chinese developers, who funds US Developers to build for them here in the states.

@Dougcjohn

Wanna save on Agisoft? Autocad course is around $1k and you get the software for free. I’m still on a student discount on my Recap Pro subscription.. lol

Fascinating entry into the field! Your ambition and perseverance are quite lofty as well. Sorry to learn of the PTSD though. After being away doing aerial work for over a decade I’m not as eager, or dedicated, as I used to be for it.

2D3 was the name I was trying to remember earlier.

Electronically, the Alta is ready to fly at its entry price. Not with a camera or gimbal though. I have a hands on history with some FreeFly products; Cinestar and Radian.

Association wise, both the Falcon and A.A. products stem from earlier efforts to promote a commercial unmanned advocacy group. I did say they were pricy, yes? Get on the good side of them and A.A. opportunities could present themselves. Well worth it as they don’t need to be replaced as new models come on the market. They are simply upgraded with new equipment and soft/firmware as it becomes available and can be repaired if needed at home. They certainly are not for everyone though.

When talking price points we need to consider the cost of everything involved. Just for the heck of it, what did the total come to for that M-200 with batteries, cameras, and the rest of the associated system requirements set you back[emoji6]

That is true, the package total is the end point cost. The M210 (all 3 gimbal mounts) was an investment, but knowing me I surely didn't acquire new. I found it with less than 2 hours on the clock, looked new & untouched. It was in a mood to relocate to a new home quickly, 1/2 the batteries (4 TB50, 2TB55) not even out of sealed box. The M210 came with the X4S focused for Geo Mapping project that later changed direction and used aircraft. Within the month, very fortunate to stumble across a SAR company merging and needed to sell personal inventory... I missed the M210 but got an additional 3 NEW pairs of TB55 at half price, greatly lowering my total investment. My total didn't reach even come close to lowest price of the above 3 specialty platforms, estimate less than 10K package so I'm still in the black... for the short term future, I could sale the package with a moderate profit.

As I'm building inventory, not concerned with future newest models. Like the other popular birds that have stayed in the industry, such as the Inspire 1v2. It may be out of date, lacks all the avoidance sensors but for an older bird it meets many tasks at a fraction of the cost of new, can carry a light cameras, MFT cameras, including a full Video RAW model, Ag NDVI cameras and FLIR Radiometric 640 resolution Thermo camera that are all useable on newer platforms so the camera investment isn't duplicated for platforms.

Like a Tractor, as long as they meet the needs and able to utilize the required or desired tools (SW or Hardware) no need to replace with higher cost new versions. I don't think the M210 will be replaced with something substantially improved within the next 2-3 years that cycles the M210 out of work. In fact I foresee more options & enhancements offered before it reaches it's peek and gets pushed to the rear.

@Dougcjohn

Wanna save on Agisoft? Autocad course is around $1k and you get the software for free. I’m still on a student discount on my Recap Pro subscription.. lol
I commend your efforts, based on your history and guessing on age that places you in upper-30's so you have a long future ahead of you that you've already managed to make excellent connections which is a foundation stone in business. Your motivation & ambition are your greatest assets. As PatR, we're both old vets so I can understand your military history too.

I'm ahead of you on the life curve but similar in desires & ambitions... the new technology is challenging & amazing. Add so much possibilities to the drone industry! On your hint... AutoCad class and included software. What's included in the class, the ReCapPro or Agisoft PhotoScan Pro? Assuming you mean the ReCapPro?
That does sound like a avenue worth exploring.. is the class WEB based or local Community Campus around the country?
Any link or info you can pass... I'll explore that one.

This thread got pushed to new based on our long winded discussion.... that started with this one.
Care to share your "almost ideal" drone for construction?

By the way, I'm more on track with your work now based on expressed apps & drones. I was confused how you were accomplishing these tasks with the H-Plus. Takes me to another question, for your focus of work why the H-Plus vs the H520. The programs you use and many others support many platforms including all the DJI's and the Yuneec H520 and may not support the H-Plus in future versions.

For the record, I’m another that believes we should use what we know always works with a record of reliability, regardless of brand or model. Similar to an automobile in a way. I have kids that get new cars every other year that don’t really gain much from the “upgrades”. The only thing consistent between them is they always have large car payments that would free up finances for other things if they held on to them long enough to pay one off.

The multirotor industry kind of does the same thing in releasing new models on a fairly consistent schedule that often don’t provide enough additional benefit to justify the cost. Once we have something of any brand that does what we need and we fully understand all they can do to use them effectively we can lose a lot of productivity when obtaining new models so new model improvements, at least for me, need to be substantial to justify a purchase. There’s also the factor across brands where new models lost desirable attributes from a previous version that can be quite irritating.

The M series systems I find to be pretty good for those that would use all they can do and they are priced well under the systems I named earlier. That pricing delta could initiate a discussion of its own but its not worth the time and effort. The I2 is probably the most well rounded platform for the money spent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gbare