Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuncee Typhoon G Customer Service Reports

Reaction score
After a grand total of 8 flights, the gimbal on my Typhoon G developed a tilting problem. When I yaw the bird, the camera tilts. I have flown 6 more times, in an attempt to replicate and troubleshoot. I've checked the system via the GUI, evaluated the telemetry, performed calibrations (both compass and accelerometer), checked all connections, looked for missing screws, you name it. So I called the technical support number today. I was shocked at how little the guy I talked to knew about the Typhoon G. I chalked this up to Yuncee having more than one product line, and him not being a drone guy. He tells me that there may be a board issue in the bird, and they'll need it back for repairs. I ask for details on how long I can expect to be without the Typhoon. I'm told 'Well, it's summer time, and we have a higher than normal number of repairs, so count on up to 30 days after we receive it before we send it out. I'm dumbfounded.

I spent $500 dollars for this thing less than 10 days ago, with less than 15 flights on her. And she's been babied, believe me. I've been flying R/C cars, planes, helis, and quads for years and know how to maintain and fly them. I've never even come close to so much as a blade strike on a piece of grass. And them I'm told that they are going to need my machine for up to 40 days (over three times the length of time I've owned it) to troubleshoot it. Frustrating. Very.

The reason for this post is to ask whether this is something that is to be expected of Yuncee products? What I don't want to do, is send her in, have them keep her for God knows who long, just to have something else go wrong. Is this a normal occurrence with the company? My research, prior to purchase indicated that Yuncee's customer service was great, but this?? Anyway, I just wanted to ask y'all what your thoughts were.

Thanks for listening to my rant, and also thanks in advance.

Cheers!

I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, though I am a bit concerned about the customer support. My first drone was an xstar premium. My first flight was a fly away (at my fault). I never calibrated the compass. But after a phone call they replaced it within two weeks, and only asked me to complete a survey to trouble shoot the problem. I'm very happy with Autels customer support. I've recently purchased a blade chroma, and I hope if there are any problems, such as you are experiencing, yuneec treats us as well as Autel did to me.

Very happy with the chroma so far, if something falls through I highly recommend both the chroma and xstar premium. I have found the yuneecs camera to give better options in post, but the xstar is gorgeous without post work, though sometimes a bit over saturated, unrealistic even.

Best of luck!

The Gimbal can act wonkey and act up and then next time you power it up it is OK.
So I would not write it off yet.

Make sure the plugs are all seated correctly and that the gimbal moves freely.
Also you need to have the Hero3 or Hero4 in the phone balanced correctly.

The video feed wire can't be binding on anything.

Before you power up the Gimbal check that it flops around like it should.
Press all the connections in - little white plugs.

On the older Typhoon G make sure the 4 wire black connector is seated well.
On the newer Typhoon G the connection can be via the sliding connector in the foot of the gimbal mount. make sure that is tidy too.

Check the grey wires on the joints of the gimbal. Make sure those grey wires are not binding in the gimbal joints and those wires are not broken.

Honestly my Gimbal has been wonky on some flights and fine on others. Once
I had not put in the black plug to the airframe in all the way and it fell out in flight.

Another time I took the Typhoon G up and the Gimbal just would not work.
powered off the Typhoon G - and put it back on again and the Gimbal was fine.

make sure your Typhoon G is firmware V1.07 or above.

Good luck to you.

Thank you both for the replies!

@Mojito Matthews - That sounds promising, but I 'think' I'm gonna try to stick it out with the Typhoon. We'll see... lol

@flashcrash - All wires are secure, and free. No binding, or cracked wires noticed. Quick question. It appears as though I have one of the 'new' G models. The gimbal mount on the quad has the 3 metal tabs, but there is also an attachment port right behind the mount. I watched a video on set up, and that person didn't hook up the wiring harness from the gimbal to the airframe. Is this required on my model? In other words, the only wiring harness that I plug in, is the one with the little stereo adapter that powers the video downlink. Should I be using the other wiring harness as well???

Flashcrash,
Actually that's the video that got me to thinking about it. The difference is, I have the black power connector AND the three gold tabs on the bottom of the drone, and on the top of the gimbal.

Strange....

Just connect all the wires. If you have that black wire and plug in the bottom of the bird -
plug it in.

And then test the gimbal by turning on the Tyhoon G and put in the cam and see how it reacts.
If the gimbal moves like in the video then it is all working.
Also try to position it with the left lever on the St10 flight controller. If you can pan it up and down vertical then you have no worries.

I am thinking that the 3 gold strips and that black plug on the bird are the same and you'll
just have duplicate connections - which is better really.

Like having two power lines coming into your house. One breaks and you are still going.

I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, though I am a bit concerned about the customer support. My first drone was an xstar premium. My first flight was a fly away (at my fault). I never calibrated the compass. But after a phone call they replaced it within two weeks, and only asked me to complete a survey to trouble shoot the problem. I'm very happy with Autels customer support. I've recently purchased a blade chroma, and I hope if there are any problems, such as you are experiencing, yuneec treats us as well as Autel did to me.

Very happy with the chroma so far, if something falls through I highly recommend both the chroma and xstar premium. I have found the yuneecs camera to give better options in post, but the xstar is gorgeous without post work, though sometimes a bit over saturated, unrealistic even.

Best of luck!
I'm not sure exactly how to determine who you call for Blade Chroma (HH or Yuneec) but I purchased a Blade Chroma GO3 and was surprised the camera to body cable did not lock. It just pulled out--as did the camera slide off without having to depress the latch. I got on Horizon Hobby website and did a live 'chat' with C/S. I was connected in less than a minute and was assured the cable is designed to pull out. A couple days later I received a new cable and gimbal mount from them at no charge. Just make sure you are registered with them. By the way I did not buy my Chroma from HH I bought it from my LHS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval