Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A bit more info on the 520 and camera

so the CGO CI camera is the same as the CGO3+ camera but with a longer lens and same sensor :-(
I guess i won't be upgrading the camera after all....

Reactions: rspowell
Not much point when you can change lenses on what you have now. Had they elected to upgrade the sensor a camera upgrade would make some level of sense. OTOH, once the system is learned what we have now functions quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a world of difference between the single piece lenses that are available now, and the seven element lens that Yuneec have mentioned. Whilst Peau and PixAero are better than the standard lens, there is a lot more you can do to improve image quality - for a start, a better lens mount would give more consistent focus across the sensor, and chromatic aberration could be significantly improved.

No-one has yet said definitively whether the new camera will retain the same sensor and processor as the existing CGO3+. Some people have reported that the 3+ is also going to be revised. There is still room for improvement by tweaking the hardware - exposure control, colour balance, focus, bitrates and so on. The one limitation that would be harder to overcome would be the dynamic range, as that tends to be strongly dependent on the sensor.

On the other thread, people were getting hung up on 'cinematography', but this could still be a good mid range solution for professional users. We're not going to know until someone can put it on a bench and test it.

Reactions: Eyewingsuit
Tuna,

All we can do is wait. If the sensor is not upgraded, how well can what we have process a 7 element image? That's not a trivial question.

Reactions: rspowell
Tuna,

All we can do is wait. If the sensor is not upgraded, how well can what we have process a 7 element image? That's not a trivial question.

Don't we already know the answer to that question? I believe the Peau 8.25 mm lens has 7 element glass. We've already seen the results.

Don't we already know the answer to that question? I believe the Peau 8.25 mm lens has 7 element glass. We've already seen the results.

Ah yes, my mistake. It'll be very interesting to see how the two compare.

I went back and reviewed some aerial video from CGO4 (4/3 Panasonic GH4) and P4P (1" sensor). While there were some things better than the CGO3+ (dynamic range, low-light sensitivity, sharp corner-to-corner) the quality of the video production did not generally hinge on those features. The video content, an eye for what will be interesting, lighting, control of the camera, editing, etc. had much more to do with a good video. I think we have a pretty darn good camera in the CGO3+. Sure, I will be interested in improvements, but that should not prevent us from making good videos now.

I went back and reviewed some aerial video from CGO4 (4/3 Panasonic GH4) and P4P (1" sensor). While there were some things better than the CGO3+ (dynamic range, low-light sensitivity, sharp corner-to-corner) the quality of the video production did not generally hinge on those features. The video content, an eye for what will be interesting, lighting, control of the camera, editing, etc. had much more to do with a good video. I think we have a pretty darn good camera in the CGO3+. Sure, I will be interested in improvements, but that should not prevent us from making good videos now.

It's a good point. The entries in the photo competition thread have shown that you can get quite amazing shots from the camera - and you can take terrible photos too :)

Details on H520 & camera options attached.

Thank you. Looks interesting. Slightly larger battery capacity, plus larger rotors has my interest. I'm always dubious of quoted flight times so don't take a great deal of notice of them.

If the current H can take these new cameras (which seems to be the case), then that will be fantastic news as it shows that Yuneec is staying with their current customers and building on what they already have and not making it redundant - I like that.

Tuna,

The sensor is only one aspect. Codecs can be tweaked, lenses may be more closely matched to a sensor's properties, internal processes tweaked and improved. Being hung up on a sensor (that is the same sensor most every UAV uses) and feeling like it's not a big deal to swap out the lens and mount is simply being unaware of how a system
For example, changing out a GoPro lens from the native 5Mp resolve to an 8mp or 10 Mp resolve dramatically changes the camera, provides significantly more clean image to the codec, which in turn provides better processing.

It _all_ starts with the glass. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't understand camera modules. Here is an example shot from the prototype CGO CI, as I used it on a GSM and Microwave tower. the 520 is 6 meters from the object.

It's also important to understand that the 520 and its accompanying software aren't designed for the casual photographic pilot. Several features are changed out that are designed to fit the needs of commercial operators, not casual flyers.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC01301.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: Malikye
It _all_ starts with the glass. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't understand camera modules. Here is an example shot from the prototype CGO CI, as I used it on a GSM and Microwave tower. the 520 is 6 meters from the object.
thanks for sharing the pic. any chance you have a video sample from the CGO CI?

thanks for sharing the pic. any chance you have a video sample from the CGO CI?

I do have video (LOADS of it), but I need Yuneec's permission prior to unlocking it. I have attached a screengrab from the video editing screen; this was from one of the videos shown at CES.

Today in very high winds, tested the H520 prototype in 45mph winds, with another Yuneec UAV filming/taking pics. I can post that. It was shocking to see how precise and on-station it remained while tilted at such an extreme angle. For people needing precision near power pylons, GSM, microwave, etc...this is the best setup I've seen. With the CI camera...it's an inspectors dream (for under 30K$)

For some reason, the site won't allow me to upload pix any longer. Here they are on my FB page.
https://scontent.flas1-1.fna.fbcdn....=1a5519ffa09c8b98e46b14eea48ea7be&oe=59133E85

https://scontent.flas1-1.fna.fbcdn....=50523ef9daffb27059ce66d721bd6577&oe=58D8A195

upload_2017-1-14_14-53-27.png

The impression I'm getting is that rather than being a general purpose 'upgrade' of the 480, the 520 is really aimed at a particular set of users. The same with the camera. If it meets your needs, you're going to be very happy with the new kit. However, with a narrower FOV, this is not such a general purpose camera as the CGO3+. So you're either going to have good uses for it, or not. That's going to confuse people who just want a 'Typhoon H+', but it really shows what is possible when you have a modular platform.

It's quite a different approach to some of the other manufacturers, so Yuneec are going to have to work hard to get the idea across. It should be possible to buy the right tool for the job, rather than buying a general purpose machine and trying to force it to meet your particular needs. For professional users in particular, that's quite a big deal.

Reactions: THoff
Tuna, you're pretty well spot-on.
The H520 is designed for a particular purpose or rather, set of purposes. it is not designed for the "average drone crowd" that are purchasing low-cost UAV for fun and perhaps supplementing income with small jobs. Perhaps one way to explain is to point out that you can walk into a Target and buy a pretty darn nice set of tools, good for puttering around the garage or assembling that kit shed. Those tools won't meet the needs of the person/mechanic that's under car bodies 8 hours a day, who needs to trust the tool for income.
That same mechanic doesn't want the tool set that includes the flashlight, cigarette-lighter starter, and Tim-the-Toolman bag. That mechanic wants the stripped down, super tough, made for specific performance tool kit that if something goes wrong, he knows the manufacturer will immediately take care of it. There is a higher cost for that better-built and better-supported toolkit, and when it comes to livelihood, the mechanic will pay for it and feel confident in the use of those tools.

I'm not great at allegories, but hopefully that makes sense. Yuneec isn't bringing this product to the normal channels; it is available only through specific commercial/industrial distribution.
That being said, anyone will be able to purchase the CGO CI, I *think.* As a film maker who also does inspection work, I very much appreciate it. It's not for the person who doesn't know how to fly slow or manage 24p, but if you know how to properly create motion for 24P...it's the bomb. Nothing in its class can touch it.

Tuna, you're pretty well spot-on.
The H520 is designed for a particular purpose or rather, set of purposes. it is not designed for the "average drone crowd" that are purchasing low-cost UAV for fun and perhaps supplementing income with small jobs. Perhaps one way to explain is to point out that you can walk into a Target and buy a pretty darn nice set of tools, good for puttering around the garage or assembling that kit shed. Those tools won't meet the needs of the person/mechanic that's under car bodies 8 hours a day, who needs to trust the tool for income.
That same mechanic doesn't want the tool set that includes the flashlight, cigarette-lighter starter, and Tim-the-Toolman bag. That mechanic wants the stripped down, super tough, made for specific performance tool kit that if something goes wrong, he knows the manufacturer will immediately take care of it. There is a higher cost for that better-built and better-supported toolkit, and when it comes to livelihood, the mechanic will pay for it and feel confident in the use of those tools.

I'm not great at allegories, but hopefully that makes sense. Yuneec isn't bringing this product to the normal channels; it is available only through specific commercial/industrial distribution.
That being said, anyone will be able to purchase the CGO CI, I *think.* As a film maker who also does inspection work, I very much appreciate it. It's not for the person who doesn't know how to fly slow or manage 24p, but if you know how to properly create motion for 24P...it's the bomb. Nothing in its class can touch it.
How is the stabilization in the new camera?
The reason I am asking is that I have seen some complaints from users that have switched out their lens with the 8.25 Peau.
They claim that the gimbal does not give enough stabilization for the narrower field of view lens and vibrations were noticed.
Does the new CGO CI have internal stabilization to remedy this issue?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss