Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Flight Time Scary

GPS on and barometer engaged for that matter will use more power in windy conditions. Not only is the copter moving forward, it is fighting to hold position and altitude. In full manual mode the wind will move the copter but the motors won't be constantly adjusting to hold horizontal/vertical position.

Learn what the sweet spot is for current draw and use that speed to attain maximum efficiency. Hovering actually uses more than moving at slow speeds. The law of diminishing returns will overcome at some point, so knowing your machine's flight characteristics is important.

Reactions: abinder and Rayray
I have that set. So far get about 2 more minutes over stock H batteries.

Check the temperature of the rear motors. I have this battery and first suggested (and had a design in the works) it to be used in an adapter, but after checking the COG it causes imbalance which I'd consider unacceptable in any MR build. Check the balance by placing your fingers under the left and right arms. Note how the COG is shifted. The rear motors must work harder to stabilize. The whole system must compensate for this redistribution of weight.

Unfortunately I don't think Yuneec logs provides data for each motor, but I'd bet the pwm on the rear motors is considerably higher. However, will test it soon.

CD I'm curious if you fly with GPS disabled? It stretches the battery life out on my Solo; however, I don't know the effect it has on the H.
I'd have thought the same too, GPS off would give longer flights, my experience was the opposite, flying in about 25mph winds exactly down wind (just too see how fast it would fly), the battery went from about 80% to alarm in about 10-15 seconds....as soon as I switched back on GPS the battery recovered.

I'd have thought the same too, GPS off would give longer flights, my experience was the opposite, flying in about 25mph winds exactly down wind (just too see how fast it would fly), the battery went from about 80% to alarm in about 10-15 seconds....as soon as I switched back on GPS the battery recovered.

That's because you pushed the motors beyond their peak efficiency for those conditions. Of course going full throttle will suck the life and lower the voltage from the battery.

It won't be much of a surprise to start seeing posts from people that are experiencing ESC failures after flying balls to the wall a lot with GPS turned off. People that have done home builts understand, but those that have only flown RTF consumer stuff don't.

Are you flying the same Typhoon H as I am? I have battery bars plus voltage in the top left which is for the Typhoon.
In the controller , typhoon H only shown in voltage no such bar indictor for typhoon H,
the bar shown is for ST 16 only.
Hope that next firmware update should have battery indicator in % for the H, for dji it also estimate how many minutes left the battery you can fly.

It won't be much of a surprise to start seeing posts from people that are experiencing ESC failures after flying balls to the wall a lot with GPS turned off. People that have done home builts understand, but those that have only flown RTF consumer stuff don't.

Hopefully it's been designed with ESCs that can handle the "balls to the wall" flying as a safety factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: banned user
Well now pat, it's how we all learn isn't it, by kindly helpful adviceful posts like yours isn't it ;)

No doubt.

If people want to fly racer speeds, they should build to suit. I only want GPS/off capability in order to regain manual control should the GPS glitch, plus it is very smooth flying slow. Yuneec needs to improve the GPS mode flying to eliminate the "twitch".

I don't know about others, but I bought the H as a RTF camera platform and treat it as such. How fast it goes is not that important, other than using the Wizard for doing neat stuff with.

Reactions: abinder
In the controller , typhoon H only shown in voltage no such bar indictor for typhoon H,
the bar shown is for ST 16 only.
Hope that next firmware update should have battery indicator in % for the H, for dji it also estimate how many minutes left the battery you can fly.
Perhaps people come off so confused sounding on this forum because the H is different in each country. I live in North America and have BARS and Voltage displayed on my ST16 regarding the Typhoon H battery... see image.

Screenshot_2016-07-26-12-44-14.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: John S
Yea fling non gps can drain the battery fast as ****. As I don't have my 3rd New H from Yuneec yet, I watch my buddy fly his H. on one very windy day with a borrowed a radar gun. Let just say I was shocked at how fast a Typhoon H can go with a 25mph tail wind. Flying back thru that wind drain the battery fast. When the H landed I pull out the battery and it was very hot. A fully charge battery drained is 6 and 1/2 mins. Do not try this, as the faster he went the lower the H went. I swear the H looked like it went passed 90 degree on it speed test. I will not say what speed the radar gun had the H going. Just say it was a crazy speed. If the wind would have changed direction the arms on the H would most likely have broken off.

Well now pat, it's how we all learn isn't it, by kindly helpful adviceful posts like yours isn't it ;)

Sorry, but I don't believe everyone should need to repeat the mistakes made by others, or repeat the same learning experience, to become more knowledgeable, safer or better operators. Knowledge can of course always be learned first hand but putting your hand on a hot stove top after someone told you it was hot really wasn't necessary.

My post should have served as fair warning, if you fly hard you will have lower flight time, fly real hard after turning off the GPS and the unknowing or the unwitting may end up going for a long walk because they couldn't get back with the battery remaining even at a previously established half way point. A very large number of people don't understand how this stuff works, they just buy and fly and hope for the best. If they try to do things they aren't ready for, or understand, many will crash. Some of them will try for a warranty claim.

Hopefully my previous post made people think about the situation a bit more.

Sorry, but I don't believe everyone should need to repeat the mistakes made by others, or repeat the same learning experience, to become more knowledgeable, safer or better operators. Knowledge can of course always be learned first hand but putting your hand on a hot stove top after someone told you it was hot really wasn't necessary.

My post should have served as fair warning, if you fly hard you will have lower flight time, fly real hard after turning off the GPS and the unknowing or the unwitting may end up going for a long walk because they couldn't get back with the battery remaining even at a previously established half way point. A very large number of people don't understand how this stuff works, they just buy and fly and hope for the best. If they try to do things they aren't ready for, or understand, many will crash. Some of them will try for a warranty claim.

Hopefully my previous post made people think about the situation a bit more.
1. As there no university for all the aspects of everything related to our H's this forum serves as great one-stop shop for users sharing experiences and resources, your "post" serving as a warning is not in the spirt sharing within a community if that's what your intention was.
2. I didn't consider you qualified to lecture me about the GPS functions of the H as previously I had to correct your understanding of the on/off function. "
Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 01.30.25.png

"
So with all due respect, we don't all know it all, and nobody here shouldn't act like they do. We are all learning something new every day, so if you have some understanding to a particular problem, it would be great to hear it, but to hear a poster complain that effectively newbies crash because they just don't know enough does not add to the forum, it takes away from it.

Last edited:
I have a phantom 3 pro (for long range) and a yuneec Q 500. The most fun is flying the ones that I build. This one runs a 6s 10,000 mah. battery along with a 3s for the camera and strobe lights. Flight time is 25 minuets. At 77 years young I haven't found any ways to have more fun with my pants on Just finished my new one. It runs on 32 volts and I flew it for 35 min. on the second shakedown flight. Keep all your props spinning on those quads or the shi* gonna hit the fan. You fly with a hex. and don't worry any more !! HAVE A GREAT DAY.

Attachments

• P1000782.JPG
    P1000782.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
I have a phantom 3 pro (for long range) and a yuneec Q 500. The most fun is flying the ones that I build. This one runs a 6s 10,000 mah. battery along with a 3s for the camera and strobe lights. Flight time is 25 minuets. At 77 years young I haven't found any ways to have more fun with my pants on Just finished my new one. It runs on 32 volts and I flew it for 35 min. on the second shakedown flight. Keep all your props spinning on those quads or the shi* gonna hit the fan. You fly with a hex. and don't worry any more !! HAVE A GREAT DAY.
Which Hex frame is that? I'm building 2 right now, a Tarot 680 Pro and Quanum 680UC Pro. The 680UC is getting built first, the arms have been lengthened so that I can use DJI E800 motors with the 13.5 props. Should have lots of power. The tarot will get longer arms too just not sure what motor setup yet. Hoping to get a Pixhawk 2 for one of them.

Which Hex frame is that? I'm building 2 right now, a Tarot 680 Pro and Quanum 680UC Pro. The 680UC is getting built first, the arms have been lengthened so that I can use DJI E800 motors with the 13.5 props. Should have lots of power. The tarot will get longer arms too just not sure what motor setup yet. Hoping to get a Pixhawk 2 for one of them.
That one is an Arris 680 with 320kv motors swinging 13 inch props. Enough power to lift a full size SLR if you want. I run a naza lite controller upgraded to version v2 for free since it is so easy to set up. The 32 volt craft is a quantum 680 uc built for low weight and flight times. I will install a nex 5 camera on the quantum when funds become available. This fixed income krap sucks ! Dji is having a great sale on the Naza v2 controller with GPs right now and it is such a bargain that I had to buy one. HAPPY FLYING with whatever you have..

How about one of these with a 6600mah battery in it?
While this battery is certainly a viable option, at the stated 6600mAh, it's only a gain of 300mAh. I tested the H battery and it is a 6300mAh marked as a 5400. 300mAh would get you less than 1 additional minute.

One must consider two different flight speeds (actually more than two but keeping it simple) -- speed over ground is what GPS gives you, which is important for calculating remaining time to destination, while speed **in the air** will remain constant or dependent upon the power setting you give the 'copter. Both are interrelated and are critical to maximizing flight and knowing whether your bird will make it home. Other things to consider are heading versus course over ground, what the winds (speed and direction) are at each altitude, and on and on and on. They beat this stuff into you during private pilot ground school, then again during flight school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy