Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery winter storage?

Reaction score
Hi, if I don't going to use the batteries for serveral month or so in the winter, should I just keep them at storage voltage or charge/discharge them every month or so?

Great question. I would also like this information...
How do you get them to the right state? Run them until first warning from the aircraft? Run them until last warning? Run them until they hit the floor?
Then keep them cold? Warm? Hot?

Great question. I would also like this information...
How do you get them to the right state? Run them until first warning from the aircraft? Run them until last warning? Run them until they hit the floor?
Then keep them cold? Warm? Hot?
Hi, I use a EV PEAK DY3 for H480 batteries, auto storage 15.3v at room temp. The pro's told me.evpeakdy3.jpg

Reactions: rdonson
Hi, if I don't going to use the batteries for serveral month or so in the winter, should I just keep them at storage voltage or charge/discharge them every month or so?
I would take them to storage level and leave them at room temperature.

During winter months, having two aircraft that use different design batteries for each, I can sometimes go a few months between flights of a particular aircraft if the weather is too bad. This happened in the winter 2015/2016 when I went about 4 months without flying any aircraft (both Phantoms at the time). In Spring 2016 I began using them again and the batteries were fine with no loss of performance at all.

I would take them to storage level and leave them at room temperature.

During winter months, having two aircraft that use different design batteries for each, I can sometimes go a few months between flights of a particular aircraft if the weather is too bad. This happened in the winter 2015/2016 when I went about 4 months without flying any aircraft (both Phantoms at the time). In Spring 2016 I began using them again and the batteries were fine with no loss of performance at all.
Great info FlushVision - thanx

Photo,
If you haven't already, invest in a lipo battery charger. There are plenty to choose from, and the required connections are readily available.
Best thing is just about all of them have a STORAGE function.
If you are stuck using just the Yuneec charger, you would have to do this:
1) Fly the batteries down to 15 volts or less (with out the props running).
2) Place them in the Yuneec charger, and check the voltage with a volt meter about every 10 minutes.
3) Stop charging them once the voltage reaches 15.2 to 15.6 volts. ( this will depend on who's recommended voltage chart you use)
4) Keep them in a cool dry place. (NOT your refrigerator).
They will hold this way from quite a long time and be ready to be recharged when you are ready to fly.
I have flown my H in the winter on several occasions. Just keep the batteries at room temp until ready to fly. ( I use an old Styrofoam cooler)

Reactions: Johnnb71 and PatR
Photo,
If you haven't already, invest in a lipo battery charger. There are plenty to choose from, and the required connections are readily available.
Best thing is just about all of them have a STORAGE function.
If you are stuck using just the Yuneec charger, you would have to do this:
1) Fly the batteries down to 15 volts or less (with out the props running).
2) Place them in the Yuneec charger, and check the voltage with a volt meter about every 10 minutes.
3) Stop charging them once the voltage reaches 15.2 to 15.6 volts. ( this will depend on who's recommended voltage chart you use)
4) Keep them in a cool dry place. (NOT your refrigerator).
They will hold this way from quite a long time and be ready to be recharged when you are ready to fly.
I have flown my H in the winter on several occasions. Just keep the batteries at room temp until ready to fly. ( I use an old Styrofoam cooler)
Thanx for your info BobW55... I have a DY3 - Product - EV-PEAK Most, 95% of the people here says "store in room temp....

Room temp covers a bit of a spread, ideally from above 40F to under 75F. BobW provided excellent info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axel66