Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass calibration warning and flyaway

Reaction score
Hi guys, well the thing I have feared the most happened.

Let me start from the beginning. I got my H in May -16 and after owning it for about 2 weeks I did my first compass calibration (CC). After I had done it, it did not want to fly stright. I did the CC many times and in different locations. It would always say it was successful but still not fly stright. I sent it to Yuneec EU and they upgraded the firmware and did the CC. I got it back and it flew fine. I did notice in GUI that the yaw was moving all the time all tho the H was still.

Well this week I got my first job with the H. A company wanted me to take pictures of 2 of their buildings. On thuesday I went to the first place. Everything was fine and I had lots of satellites. I pushed the red button and got the message GPS lost. It would not start. So I turned it off and moved it to another open place. It worked fine and I took some pictures.

Today I went to the second place and all worked well. I had no problems, so I then went back to the first place to take som more pictures. So I went up in the air. I was about 40meters up and had taken about 5 pictures. I was adjusting the WB when my wife said that the H is moving all around. Not like toiletbowl but just unsteady. I thought it just was the wind and for a few seconds it was steady but then it started again. I quickly noticed that it was not responding to me at all and was going away from me fast. I switched to RTH and still it just went away from me. At this point the ST-16 said someting like GPS turned off, continue in Angle mode and land immediately. At this point it was about 500m away and then it stopped. I suddenly realized I had control again. I got it back in one peace but will not fly with it again until I get it checked.

I did put the .csv file in exmaps and found lots of compass calibration warning during this flight. I checked my older .csv files and they all have compass calibration warnings from the first time I did the CC in the end of May -16.

I have all the time had a feeling that there is something wrong with the compass, and I guess I'm right.

I will call my lhs on monday to see what they say. I am really not happy at this point and I have to tell the company I can't continue.
Please ask if I left something out.

Take care and be safe!

Oh and to make it clear, I do the CC every time I go far away from the last place.

Last edited:
Contact Yuneec customer service. In all probability the LHS won't be able to do much for you. Something to remember, when you are experiencing compass and/or GPS issues RTH or Smart mode will not function correctly. Angle mode is what you need to use, and you have to be fast getting into it.

Although not proven, I suspect Yuneec is having the same GPS/compass issues 3DR did with the units initially used in the Solo. Some were not as they should have been an 3DR replaced them as they came in for warranty repairs. The uBlox GPS units using back up battery power have been problematical from the beginning.

I will start with my LHS cause they have been able to help me more then Yuneec EU.

I always fly in angle but at a panic state I just tried everything to get controle.

I really hope they replace the GPS module and compass.

Sorry, I missed your originsl reference to Yuneec EU. Based upon what I have read about their customer interactions you are indeed probably better off to start with the LHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just to give you an update. I contacted my lhs and today it has been shipped to them. They will replace the compass, GPS and barometer.

I am so glad that they are helping me out cause this H has been two times to Yuneec Germany (so together over 2 months) and they have not been able to fix it or replace anything.

Will let you know what they find and how it goes.

I wonder why there is such a disparity between the level of customer service provided by Yuneec Germany versus Yuneec USA?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss