Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Finally no longer a Typhoon H Virgin!

Reaction score
Well after waiting since January to be able to take up my H (serious GPS issues were recently repaired) I got my first flight off. thanks to this site and what I had learned ahead of time. I had a real easy flight. made all calibrations, then got her off the ground and did several lift offs and landings, took her up to 10 meters and flew around about 100' returned then took it up to 25 meters and flew her about 300 yards on my courses driving range. I had her hover while I played with the camera a little and then got the first low battery signal and flew her back to where I was at and landed. Not a single flying issue. it was pretty exciting getting her up and about finally. next will be higher altitudes and flying runs down my fairways to my greens and back. trying to learn my patterns so I can start filming my course from tee to green.
I want to especially thank everyone who helped make a better manual!
and then the ones who made the preflight checklist!

I still have a lot to learn but the first flight is in the books.

Well after waiting since January to be able to take up my H (serious GPS issues were recently repaired) I got my first flight off. thanks to this site and what I had learned ahead of time. I had a real easy flight. made all calibrations, then got her off the ground and did several lift offs and landings, took her up to 10 meters and flew around about 100' returned then took it up to 25 meters and flew her about 300 yards on my courses driving range. I had her hover while I played with the camera a little and then got the first low battery signal and flew her back to where I was at and landed. Not a single flying issue. it was pretty exciting getting her up and about finally. next will be higher altitudes and flying runs down my fairways to my greens and back. trying to learn my patterns so I can start filming my course from tee to green.
I want to especially thank everyone who helped make a better manual!
and then the ones who made the preflight checklist!

I still have a lot to learn but the first flight is in the books.
James, NEVER rush a take off, ALWAYS stay on the ground until you have sats LOCK, not only sats Ready, There are no sats lock confirmation, just time will save your H. Sats lock isn't mentioned in the preflight checklist! Read this PDF http://www.measys.com/docs/TTFFstartup.pdf even if it's not exactly the same GPS module as in our H.

Last edited:
Reactions: GRH
James, NEVER rush a take off, ALWAYS stay on the ground until you have sats LOCK, not only sats Ready, There are no sats lock confirmation, just time will save your H. Sats lock isn't mentioned in the preflight checklist! Read this PDF http://www.measys.com/docs/TTFFstartup.pdf even if it's not exactly the same GPS module as in our H.
Thanks, I did confirm that my sats were locked in before take off. but it is a good idea to make sure everytime. a lot of my flying will be around my golf course, especially when we are closed. this will give me a great chance to learn the ins and outs and get accustomed to using the camera.

Thanks, I did confirm that my sats were locked in before take off. but it is a good idea to make sure everytime. a lot of my flying will be around my golf course, especially when we are closed. this will give me a great chance to learn the ins and outs and get accustomed to using the camera.
James, there is no way to confirm sats lock, it just about to wait decent nbr of minutes, GPS READY is not a "lock" confirmation, it's only info about how many sats the H has found.

Thanks, I looked all over for that Sunday morning and never saw a lock sign. LOL
the H flew really well on my second flight but when I placed my third battery in it my video screen locked up about 2 minutes in flight. it had something to do with the camera. I hovered it for a while to mess around with the camera controls and it eventually started working again. not sure if this may be an issue.
after landing I removed the memory card and put it into my laptop and notice that it looks like it skips frames, like a jerky video. tried it in my newer desktop and it gave me the BSD when trying the video (photos are ok). Im going to try a better video program and see if thats any better. I know it still looks like it is skipping frames using quick time on my laptop.

Thanks, I looked all over for that Sunday morning and never saw a lock sign. LOL
the H flew really well on my second flight but when I placed my third battery in it my video screen locked up about 2 minutes in flight. it had something to do with the camera. I hovered it for a while to mess around with the camera controls and it eventually started working again. not sure if this may be an issue.
after landing I removed the memory card and put it into my laptop and notice that it looks like it skips frames, like a jerky video. tried it in my newer desktop and it gave me the BSD when trying the video (photos are ok). Im going to try a better video program and see if thats any better. I know it still looks like it is skipping frames using quick time on my laptop.
James, there are NO lock-sign, you just have to wait! Read this if you haven't done it before: http://www.measys.com/docs/TTFFstartup.pdf The cam probs I don't know.

Quicktime does not always play well with some formats. Try VLV Player. It plays anything and is free.

Quicktime does not always play well with some formats. Try VLV Player. It plays anything and is free.
I tried that player also and it still has issues. I think the problem may be with my video card or computer since I can watch the videos from my controller with no issues.

VLC, I fat fingered the phone key board...

We frequently read of people blaming their cameras for poor video quality when they try play back. After downloading new video programs many continue to experience issues which are quickly blamed on the camera. Often not considered by people having issues playing video is the standards their computers were built to. If you have an older computer that lacks screen resolutions at least equal to the recorded video resolution, is low on memory, missing critical codecs, have obsolete graphics cards, and missing other features relevant to the video type and resolution, they just won't play the video. Older monitors with less than 1080 resolution don't provide all that great an image when we try to show 4k video on them.

Software and hardware changes quickly and unless we periodically upgrade our equipment we won't be able to play or process videos using later hardware and software. HD video is resource hungry and requires a fast system with lots of memory, along with a very good graphics card. most laptops do not come with a graphics card suitable of good video editing unless it was a gaming type laptop, and even those can be lacking if they are at the lower end of the gaming computer price range.

It's unfortunate, but the price we have to pay to generate good video isn't limited to just the camera or SD card. The tools used to process and play it have to be up to the task as well.

Last edited:
Why would you think that?

The issue some seem to be having is not with satellite count, but believing that count is indicative of a "lock", which isn't the case at all. The satellite count is only indicative of the number of them that are visible and being recognized by the -16 or the H. The system is not stating that any of them are "locked", ever. The term "locked" is B.S. anyway since there is never a lock on a GPS satellite, only a constant communication link for the period of time a satellite is in view of the receiving system. Walk under a metal roof or inside a building and you may still have the same satellite count but lose GPS due to loss of info packet exchange. The system sees the satellites are there but is not communicating with them well enough to provide positional resolution.

The GPS info displayed on the ST-16 only tells us a couple of things. How many satellites both the -16 and the H are seeing, whether or not the -16 is obtaining enough information from GPS to allow an acceptable position fix, and approximate distances. The GPS numerical position values are actually pretty accurate. You either have a good GPS fix or you don't, and the white light associated (or not) with the mode light color on the back of the H is really all you have to go by until/unless a GPS warning is displayed. You will not get that white light until the ST-16 is showing at least a 10 satellite count. If it provided HDOP info we would be able to estimate the level of precision, but it does not, so we can not. We would also need to know how long each satellite had been in view of the system. Time equals precision, with more time providing better precision. It works somewhat the same with the altitude accuracy many complain about. If anyone would care to do an experiment, put their H in a hover and note the displayed altitude. Leave the H in that position for the life of a battery and watch what happens to the displayed altitude.

I personally do not have any issues with the GPS on either of my systems. My last post is more of a question of why someone would just say wait, vs. observing the info from the H and the 16. When I go out to fly I want to be in the air ASAP, not saying that I rush to get her up but, if I am showing 15 on H and 12 on the 16, I am launching.

That is of course your call at any time. As mentioned earlier the best accuracy is obtained when satellites have been in view for longer periods of time. That time period also reflects on the quality of signal received since satellites enter and depart the viewing window frequently. A start up might be "seeing" one or more satellites about to depart that window.

If you are satisfied with just adequate positional accuracy you can most certainly launch the moment you get a large satellite count, but don't be surprised if you start getting periodic yellow light flashes after arming or launching. This is something I have experienced when trying to get off the ground quickly, the most recent only two days ago. If it happens to you may I suggest you disarm the motors and wait a little bit?

As PIC you are always the decision maker. May all your flights be what you hope for.

So I am to understand that the SAT count for the H and Controller that are displayed are incorrect?
Why should they be incorrect? They are correct, the issue is that it only shows "found" SATS not locked. Be careful about that.

Why should they be incorrect? They are correct, the issue is that it only shows "found" SATS not locked. Be careful about that.
I am only questioning this because if these are only "found" and not "locked" why would the H be allowed to fire motors? In the manual it says the motors will not activate unless there is sustainable GPS. I am curious about the sustainable and locked portion of the discussion.

I am only questioning this because if these are only "found" and not "locked" why would the H be allowed to fire motors? In the manual it says the motors will not activate unless there is sustainable GPS. I am curious about the sustainable and locked portion of the discussion.
Nechsproject, I have the same question as you have and I am sure PatR can answer that when he logs in again.

I appreciate your confidence but I'm not always right;)

Back to the "sustainable" and "lock" thingie for a moment. First we have to throw the word "Lock" away. It's simply not applicable to the situation. There's no means to lock the communications link, and neither the satellites or the H, or the ST-16 use directional antennas that can can be aligned to generate a lock between antennas. Even in that condition a "lock" is tenuous and can be broken at any time. So we don't have a "Lock" on any GPS satellite. We don't have one with our phones, or vehicular GPS systems, or the H systems. It is not possible and it's a word that has been mistakenly used to describe a GPS comm link. However, we do have what could be described as a "continuous" comm link. This is where the word "sustainable" is an effective description.

"Sustainable" is relatively easy for an automated system to define. The comm link is not a steady stream of information, but works more like a rapidly alternating exchange of information. That information is transmitted in "packets", with an ever increasing packet count being transmitted and received by both systems. In a perfect world the number of packets received would equal the number of packets sent. That is rarely the case though. Packets are lost, or "dropped" all the time. That brings us to the term "Drop Outs". Comm links keep track of packets sent and packets received and if the counts don't match the difference are called drop outs. If the drop out frequency or the count is too high the information exchange becomes unreliable and can't be used. Such a state would be one way to define an "unsustainable" signal. A number of drop outs can occur, with that number and frequency being determined by the product manufacturer, and still provide accuracy ranging from very good all the way down to a rough approximation and still be considered "sustainable". The threshold between sustainable and unsustainable in various GPS systems is something I don't know. Ultimately, parameters are established in the software that keeps track of the information exchange and uses the drop out counts and frequency over time, along with the signal to noise ratio (SNR) to define when a signal is "sustainable". How long that signal is maintained also factors into the deal, with time in view continually refining precision. The number of satellites factors in by further again refining the level of precision. There's lots of other things that make all the GPS stuff come together but I don't understand all of them.

if you have selected Angle mode the H really doesn't care how many satellites it is communicating with. It will arm without having a "sustainable" GPS solution. I know this because as mentioned in my previous post I armed the motors before the system acquired good GPS solution, having only 8 satellites at the time. Many times I have armed and flown in Angle without having 10 or more satellites. So be careful if in Angle mode and thinking you have good GPS because the motors armed. You may well not have a good GPS solution at all so pay attention to the flight mode light on the back of the H. If you do not see a white flash with the purple, the system does not yet have a good GPS solution. You could still fly without a GPS solution:), but with or without a good GPS solution you'll never have a "lock";)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers