Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firmware Update - Typhoon H fly off crash

These screenshots are right in the area when it decided to do its on thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.PNG
    IMG_0396.PNG
    425.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0397.PNG
    IMG_0397.PNG
    531.3 KB · Views: 29
Yuneec failed to be able to properly diagnose memory issues within the drone. They have diagnostics for a lot of things but not failed memory or memory glitches. I had a perfectly flying drone before these updates came down the wire, and now almost every other landing has the thing with problems / glitches on landing. It crashes a few inches above ground and tilts backward always taking out the rear two props and largely refuses the stop button in the process. It almost always involves switching out from the RTH mode in the decent phase going to angle mode to prevent it from landing in a bush or undesirable location. I

Look at my earlier post of my flights right after the latest update from couple weeks ago. I posted vids of 2 flights
I saw those. It looks like you and many other people have done the latest, (auto pilot) update without issue and, in fact, have had better behavior upon landing and low altitude than before it, but knowing my luck, and seeing the few that just started having issues after it makes me see things only one way, and that is, I am totally going to copy and print all these new issues. Not so I can send them off to Yuneec or do anything that'll in any way help my experience with the H...I just need to take them in to my wife to show her I've been right all these years. Not getting around to doing this latest update yet is proof that there is a benefit to being lazy and procrastinating. If I leave out all the success stories this is perfect proof. Wow, the help on this forum is farther reaching than I ever thought.

Hope they fix it. Again I don't trust it at this stage.
I feel your pain, but don't give up on it. I've been there twice since I bought it in October, and I'm still getting my confidence back, (which is slow going this time, due to my own not getting out to fly as often as I'd like) but if you look around this forum, there is a ton of lights at the end of most people's tunnels after similar stories of fly- aways, and losses of control.
I'm not totally comfortable yet myself, but there are many that came back from bigger problems than I've had and are flying very regularly on a daily basis. We have hope, and Yuneec has been very good to 99% of us. I've read other forums where people haven't been so lucky with the company backing we have with Yuneec. Try to talk to Andrew when you call them. Not saying others aren't as good. He's the only one I've dealt with there so far and he is great...other than 2 emails where he dropped the ball on getting back to me, but as CC Rider said, we are all human and we do error from time to time. I'm sure my wife would gladly get on here and tell you about all mine, but that's for the "Yuneec Husbands" forum, not here.
Anyways, good luck, and I'm sure they will take care of you.

Reactions: NADrone
I feel your pain, but don't give up on it. I've been there twice since I bought it in October, and I'm still getting my confidence back, (which is slow going this time, due to my own not getting out to fly as often as I'd like) but if you look around this forum, there is a ton of lights at the end of most people's tunnels after similar stories of fly- aways, and losses of control.
I'm not totally comfortable yet myself, but there are many that came back from bigger problems than I've had and are flying very regularly on a daily basis. We have hope, and Yuneec has been very good to 99% of us. I've read other forums where people haven't been so lucky with the company backing we have with Yuneec. Try to talk to Andrew when you call them. Not saying others aren't as good. He's the only one I've dealt with there so far and he is great...other than 2 emails where he dropped the ball on getting back to me, but as CC Rider said, we are all human and we do error from time to time. I'm sure my wife would gladly get on here and tell you about all mine, but that's for the "Yuneec Husbands" forum, not here.
Anyways, good luck, and I'm sure they will take care of you.
Thanks for all of the advice. It went better than expected. I called customer support, detailed my experience, provided the flight telemetry data and they promptly provided a shipping label for me to return it for repair/replacement. Just got back from shipping it off. I sent the H (and remaining pieces), the controller and cam. They are going to cover it under warranty.

I admit I'm impressed and extremely pleased with the support and backing their product but my confidence in putting it safely back in the air will take time. I will more than likely just wait and see how things go for others online before I decide to try again or offload it.

Reactions: Jester
Thanks for all of the advice. It went better than expected. I called customer support, detailed my experience, provided the flight telemetry data and they promptly provided a shipping label for me to return it for repair/replacement. Just got back from shipping it off. I sent the H (and remaining pieces), the controller and cam. They are going to cover it under warranty.

I admit I'm impressed and extremely pleased with the support and backing their product but my confidence in putting it safely back in the air will take time. I will more than likely just wait and see how things go for others online before I decide to try again or offload it.
Good to hear. Same experience with mine a few months ago. I called, and without hesitation, was given the return auth and shipping labels, right when I was expecting to have to go off on them for my new $1500 H sucking. It's gotten so common for companies, and even my back surgeons to lose interest in you after the check is cashed that I just automatically expected that I would have to be disappointed and flip out on them. It was kind of strange to see a company willing to stand behind their product so willingly that it threw me off. Luckily I didn't, and always try not to start off in full douche mode from being so jaded by others. I called them frustrated and worried that I was screwed, but they immediately put me at ease.
I'm glad to see it went as well for you as it did for me, and as it has for many others on here. Like you, I have some nerves and anxiety to still work through, but too many success stories on here for me to feel too worried about my near future and joy of owning the H.
The stories on here are what turned me to the H long before I bought it, because i was really convinced I wanted the Inspire. The stories on those forums made me stay patient, learn about, and ultimately buy the H. I still believe it remains the better choice, for me anyway.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I'm not familar with that. I just took off straight up and slow to about 10', no winds, 16 sats, everything was as all of my other flights as far as settings. I always just let it hover for a bit before flying off. It hovered for about 10 seconds and then took off vertical and forward. Only then did I put my fingers back on the sticks to attempt to bring it back. It just did it's own thing..up into tree limbs and then smashed into concrete from about 25' up.

Circle of death is the safety zone when you take off in Smart mode. Yes to me it sounds like you took off in Smart Mode and the H tried to get away from you for your safety :(

After last update, I did all the calibrations, compass, gimbal,etc. Then outside, took a week to get a break in **** weather. Just up few feet, only issue was took three attempts to get landing gear up. Then left it to hover until battery warning. Went up maybe 30ft and only moved around few feet. Flew great, hope to get another break in weather to let it lose. I still have fingers cross for any type of camera zoom, and plan to add a FLIR set up soon.

AJ

These screenshots are right in the area when it decided to do its on thing.

Those two screen shots appear to show that initially it was in Follow Me mode - not angle mode, and then you hit the Motor kill switch.

Ran my first and only firmware update on my new typhoon h this week to take advantage of the new features. Read this forum to see if there were issues, didn't find anything alarming. Applied the update per instructions. Did it twice in fact to ensure I had not missed a step. Waited 2 days to get my nerves up to test fly it. I started it up locked into 18 sats, lifted off 10' in the air and let it hover. It hovered for about 5 seconds and then took off vertical and forward with zero input from me. I tried to gain control but it didn't respond, slammed into tree limbs, props broke, prop arms broke, dropped like a brick onto concrete, smashed the camera, broke then landing gear. The control was not in return to home mode btw. It's a $1000 pile of rubble now.

I see you mentioned you DID IT TWICE? Did you update the firmware twice? It is possible that by updating the firmware twice, you could have corrupted the file in the aircraft.

Reactions: Rayray
I'm in exactly the same position and honestly, I'm not certain which one is an issue or perhaps both. I've flown several times without incident since the previous full update but I'm holding off on this one for the time being.

I did the update from last week, didn't delete any flight data or anything. I've had it out 4 times 12 flights and it had no problems but the controls were more sensitive and it took a few min to get use to them.
That being said im not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I like it.

Circle of death is the safety zone when you take off in Smart mode. Yes to me it sounds like you took off in Smart Mode and the H tried to get away from you for your safety :(
I reviewed my switches physical positions after the incident and it was in angle mode. Not sure what happened.

I see you mentioned you DID IT TWICE? Did you update the firmware twice? It is possible that by updating the firmware twice, you could have corrupted the file in the aircraft.
That's possible I guess just don't know for certain.

Those two screen shots appear to show that initially it was in Follow Me mode - not angle mode, and then you hit the Motor kill switch.
Are you getting that from the f_mode column? This is the first time I have look at the raw telemetry data in the raw file. I looked at the physical position of the switches after the crash to confirm and it was in angle mode. If I recall correctly once it hit the ground it killed power itself. Don't recall having to kill power manually but it all happened so fast.

I did the update from last week, didn't delete any flight data or anything. I've had it out 4 times 12 flights and it had no problems but the controls were more sensitive and it took a few min to get use to them.
That being said im not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I like it.
With the last update to the Autopilot, it isn't required to delete the flight data. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do so.

The ST16 will not let you update the firmware twice unless it didn't complete the update on the first attempt. It compares the installed versions.

What's the Circle of Death?
That refers to the geo-fence which will not allow you to fly closer than 26' to the ST16 when in Angle mode or Home mode.

With the last update to the Autopilot, it isn't required to delete the flight data. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do so.

The ST16 will not let you update the firmware twice unless it didn't complete the update on the first attempt. It compares the installed versions.

That refers to the geo-fence which will not allow you to fly closer than 26' to the ST16 when in Angle mode or Home mode.

What I meant is I just went through all the steps twice to be certain I didn't miss anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guardianangelstowing