Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying over water

Reaction score
I got a spark for a gift and thought it said you can’t fly it over the water, is that true
Recently I got a typhoon and I’m wondering if they are different because of the direct WiFi connection.

Mike in New Port Richey

You should not fly low over water as it gets confused from the water reflection. I have a spark and a pro and both get confused if lower than 25 feet when over water . Above 25 I have not noticed anything

Good to know North, I fly over water all the time, I'll have to make sure I stay above 25'

Never noticed any odd behavior attributable to water with either of my H480 machines or my H520. Plenty of flights under twenty-five feet altitude and many just high enough to avoid rippling the water. Add in several runs at four to six feet and I’d say I’ve tested the stability quite a bit.

During the unfrozen months, 99% of my flying is over water. Love the winter as my landing strip becomes a lot wider than four feet!

Jeff

Reactions: thoneter and AeriaL
Not noticed any problems with either my H480 or my old Phantom. Having said that, though, I do still get a bit nervous over water and am always a bit relieved to get the aircraft back flying over land having got the shot I wanted.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Not noticed any problems with either my H480 or my old Phantom. Having said that, though, I do still get a bit nervous over water and am always a bit relieved to get the aircraft back flying over land having got the shot I wanted.

Flush,

I do it so often, as stated, I realize I don’t get fazed anymore. That is, until I push it a little and get out a bit farther than normal. But, I have to admit... my confidence in the machine (H480) grew exponentially this past Sunday.

I wasn’t over water but actually at a private grass airfield cut in the woods.m, prepping for a fly-in this coming weekend. (General aviation and experimental, not UAS.). The owner asked if I could go up and check on some logging activities going on a ways beyond their property/end of runway.

Using a two year old OEM battery (which, incidentally I have written about previously, being of “puffed” nameplate), I took off with the wind toward the north end of the runway. At 2000 feet from me, I could see the H, but barely; enough for the “experienced” eyes to determine attitude. Safe to say, that was the furthest I had ever sent out one of my craft.

I still needed to get to 400’ and look around. If course I was watching the battery level closely, but I wasn’t concerned in the least as to making it back. I had a whole 2500 foot runway to set down on, should the need arise. Anyway, I got the shots I needed and started heading back. Battery was at about 14.9, 14.8 maybe.

Remembering I now had a headwind of about 7mph for the return flight, I was watching the battery level very closely. To my surprise, it didn’t move lower than 14.8! In fact, I kept going beyond where I was (2000’ mark) and went well beyond the south end of the runway, enough to capture the whole landing strip and lodge (hanger). I had also regained altitude. When I finally landed, the battery was still at 14.6 -,14.7!

Now, would I have done that same flight over water? Before this flight... **** no! After this flight? Probably not, but at least I now know a bit more of the capabilities in case I do get "out there". Depends on knowing the nuances of each battery in one’s fleet as well.

I have to admit, it made the flights with my H520 rather ho-hum knowing I had at least twice the flight time in reserve!

Happy flying!!! Stay dry!

Jeff

Last edited:
Here's a video taken with my 920 with it flying over lots of water. I've never had any issues with the water affecting my drones but I will say the 920 sucks at holding altitude. I flew my 480 under a trestle above the river and I thought about trying it with the 920 but after getting close and seeing it vacillate 3 feet horizontally I changed my mind.

Reactions: oldcaptainrusty
I fly over water all the time and haven't had any problem with the YUNEEC Typhoon H. I've been out 3000ft at only 15ft. Sometimes went down to 5ft. No problems at all.

Reactions: hofferet269
A good point for all to note is to always be aware of your craft and it's controls. Multiple fail safes do occur. Lose GPS and low battery could be common especially with new pilots. Turn volume up on your phone and have voice alerts activated. Practice in your mind what you would do in these various situations.

Flying over water is not a factor for the H. It does not differentiate between water or land. However, crashing when over water is a problem as the H can’t swim. Solution? Don’t crash[emoji6]

By reading all the comments it seems that only dji drones get confused over water . I only have one drone that’s not dji and it’s a Q-500 . I can’t get any range out of it so I don’t even use it anymore. I flew it about 6 times . At 600-800 feet the camera view is gone and shortly after that it loses signal and does a return to home .

By reading all the comments it seems that only dji drones get confused over water . I only have one drone that’s not dji and it’s a Q-500 . I can’t get any range out of it so I don’t even use it anymore. I flew it about 6 times . At 600-800 feet the camera view is gone and shortly after that it loses signal and does a return to home .
Try a directional antenna.

NG,

Just curious as to the troubleshooting you have already done as to your Q500 range issues?

Have you thought about sending it to a reputable dealer/repair center?

Something is amiss. Should be fixable.

Jeff

Last edited:
I know people that have flown out a couple thousand feet with stock Q-500’s with no problems. Consider looking into aftermarket antennas and how you are positioning your radio relative to the drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvca441772