Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

It Just Died......

This is why non intelligent batteries suck and it's the weakest part of the H package IMO. DJI use smart ones, Autel use em Yuneec use.....oh yeah. Given that duff battery = fall from sky i'm still surprised that Yuneec chose dumb batteries AND did not ship with a fully functional charger that will discharge etc.

Because they were meeting a price point. That's like asking why a Cadillac has more features then a Buick. They have a smart system- it's in the St and it shows voltage usage just fine for those who pay attention.

And you are not alone. I wish I could have found fault in my failure I documented here about a month ago. That's some awesome service

CONCLUSION:
A somewhat traumatic day ! I phoned UAVision (The drone shop at Devizes who supplied the Typhoon) and they gave me a number for Yuneec UK, and they were nothing less than brilliant ! The guys at Yuneec asked me to send through the files for the last 6 flights. 90 minutes later they were on the phone to say that they were agreeing to a full replacement under warranty, as there appeared to be an issue with the mainboard. They warned me that I might have to travel to Barnet to collect, but that they would see if they could find one closer to home. Another hour passed before I was asked to take the old one to Castle Cameras at Dursley and do the swap there. Thus I had a brand-new replacement in my hands less than 7 hours after my original phone call. The new one has been initialised, and has been powered up 'props off', and the camera has been tested. The maiden flight will however have to wait until we get to France. Truly you could not ask for better service, and I am profoundly grateful to all concerned.

Acquiring a little perspective on what last night appeared to be an unmitigated disaster (albeit on the 'no-one actually died' scale of things) I realise that I was actually quite fortunate, in that it happened somewhere where it fell to earth under my nose in a field, as opposed to, say, the bottom of the Canal du Midi, and it that it did so when there was JUST time to organise replacement before our holiday. It remains however a sobering thought that such a fault could in theory cause ANY drone to fall out of the sky at ANY time !

All I need to do now however is bring some decent footage home from France. Interesting discussion on batteries in the meantime though.....

so glad to see it got sorted!

Glad that all worked out so well for you. Do watch those battery voltages in the future though;)

First of all, the YTH was not bind to the ST16. I guess you have had binded the wizard before?
Both flights in the 3 files are contolled via WLAN only. Thus, the Remote_xxxxxx.csv are empty (all neutral, no information).
The telemtry files shows nothing, simply ends in Angle mode without any error flags, status changes, emergency flight modes. Looks like cut the power somehow or lost the WLAN connection.
There is a strange flight mode 31 inbetween, that I don't know, never seen. Only Yuneec can say what this is.
GPS was good. Also the Voltage warning changes from 2 to 1 before the end. But voltage warnings were all the time.

Hint: Bind the bird to the controller before you do fail save tests.

br HE

To start with,let me say that I'm glad you got it ironed out. I rarely,if ever,post on here,but this IS a very interesting,if not educational,post.
To comment about "reading the manual",(RTFM),let me make an observation. I like to shop on eBay. I buy quads,some distressed,and resale them,sometimes making myself a far profit. My biggest gripe about the people I resale them to is that they don't read up and study the manual and ALL of the info available on the web. I try to educate them as best I can.But try as I may,probably75-80% of them crash and blame either the quad or me.
But,my favorite quad to resale is the Ehang Ghost2.0. It requires the user to do what they call "touch and go"flights before it opens up 2 other flight mode for the operator to use. Then,after another 5 flights,it opens up all of the more difficult modes. The 1st 3 "touch and go"flights are partially controlled by the user,but the app actually has more control than the new user.
The company offers a 1year,no questions asked,replacement policy. Up to 3 times in the 1st year. No questions asked. Pilot error or not. You get a new quad.
Now,this is not a commercial for Ehang. This is simply a,IMHO,a very,very smart move on their part. Making a new user do very simple,mostly app controlled,flights. And it all can be done in under 4-5 minutes.
For an experienced pilot,this may seem very annoying. It certainly did for me. But,as I love to say,all quads are "EXACTLY DIFFERENT". All the same,but(no pun intended)unique in their own way.
Maybe,just maybe,if other companies would implicate this there would be more flying,less crashing,and less warranty replacements.
Ehang is still in business,so I guess the training part of the app has kept more new users flying and not crashing after being forced to familairize themselves with the functions of the quad before throwing it up in the air and crashing and crying"that drone sucks! It crashed on me"
More flying,less user error.
Nuff said.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: PatR
But,my favorite quad to resale is the Ehang Ghost2.0. It requires the user to do what they call "touch and go"flights before it opens up 2 other flight mode for the operator to use. Then,after another 5 flights,it opens up all of the more difficult modes.
More flying,less user error.
Nuff said.
My 2 cents.

I love this idea.

Although I think the H (and its price tag... I do not know what the Ehang will cost) appeals (for the bigger part) to people that are serious about droning.

Non-reading nubs are everywhere tho.... and they need a big wallet if they fell for H's profi looks.

:)

Ehang Ghost2.0. It requires the user to do what they call "touch and go"flights before it opens up 2 other flight mode for the operator to use. Then,after another 5 flights,it opens up all of the more difficult modes. The 1st 3 "touch and go"flights are partially controlled by the user,but the app actually has more control than the new user.
The company offers a 1year,no questions asked,replacement policy. Up to 3 times in the 1st year. No questions asked. Pilot error or not. You get a new quad.
Now,this is not a commercial for Ehang. This is simply a,IMHO,a very,very smart move on their part. Making a new user do very simple,mostly app controlled,flights. And it all can be done in under 4-5 minutes.
For an experienced pilot,this may seem very annoying. It certainly did for me. But,as I love to say,all quads are "EXACTLY DIFFERENT". All the same,but(no pun intended)unique in their own way.

I like this limited/progressive system application method very much. Although not specifically related to this thread, despite all the advertising the H is not by any means a beginner's aircraft. It requires a user understands how to fly a multirotor and demands the user has a reasonable grasp of the various controls and systems. If a new user lacks basic flight skills they will get lost in the operation of the aircraft while diverting attention to making videos or taking photos. The aviation adage of aviate, navigate, communicate (change communicate to record imagery), in that order, is just as important with multirotors as it is in a full scale airplane.

The three most frequent failures I seen in various threads discussing the Typhoon H runs in three flavors;
Safe Circle related loss of control/fly away.
Lost Power.
Buggered firmware update.

Generally (not always but generally) all three occur due to a lack of experience and understanding. The firmware update issues would be largely eliminated if new users would simply leave the firmware alone until they developed considerably more system understanding. I have yet to see a "bad" firmware version in the H and I've had every one since the H was first released. I have read of a great many firmware updates that went bad because they were improperly installed though. The H will fly just fine out of the box with whatever firmware it was shipped with. Agreed, the instructions for the system are at best "weak" but with some time spent operating the aircraft and watching some videos on You Tube a firmware update is not difficult to perform. Just going slow enough to perform one a single step at a time helps quite a lot, but people have to know the steps to follow, which they learn by reading documentation, watching videos provided with the H, at the Yuneec website, and watching You Tube videos. All of that information is available for those with a desire to review it. The process is not "instinctive". A lot of people have put a lot of time on their systems and gone to the trouble of sharing their experiences for others to learn from. Heeding those willing those sharing that information allows others to avoid having similar issues. In reviewing those experiences people learn the binding process often misses the auto pilot/aircraft update unless extra procedures are executed to force the system to locate the auto pilot firmware. Binding both firmware versions instead of mistakenly thinking the bind process is complete when only one of the versions was recognized at the -16 eliminates many loss of control and instability issues caused by failing to bind the aircraft.

Lack of familiarity with the controller functions is another area where new users get into a lot of trouble. Selecting the wrong switch, not understanding what each switch does in which position, not knowing how to operate the camera, confusion with right side setting features all contribute to having an operator fumbling with controls and settings when they should be flying the aircraft. They make mode switch position errors, try to take off or land while inside the safe circle, don't understand how or why the Safe Circle works, use RTH at the wrong place and time, and fail to set adequate RTH heights. Fumbling and questions with the landing gear is another area they get wrapped up in for some reason. When learning to fly the H they don't even need to raise the gear to obtain good video. Learn to use yaw to rotate the aircraft. Trying to fly in any direction while also trying to pan the camera with the pan knob is a three handed, four eyes activity.

Loss of power is another item that frequently occurs because the user hasn't learned how to install the battery. So many have partially inserted the battery and mistakenly thought it was secure before it locking latch had "clicked" in place. That locking latch on the top of the battery causes the battery to slide in with more resistance as the battery is inserted, but is not secure until the aft edge of the latch pops up to engage the inside edge of the airframe. If there is any gap between the battery case and the airframe the battery is not latched in place and can/will slide aft, breaking the power connection, or completely fall out, as the aircraft maneuvers. Another loss of power issue stems from people wanting to extract the last possible second of flight time from a battery. They don't run the gas tanks in their cars down to empty before adding more gas so why do they think it's a good idea to do that with their aircraft's "gas tank"? Buying more batteries so they can change them out more often, before they run dry, will reduce the number of aircraft lost or destroyed.

Learning the system in progressive steps, with the system limiting the user access to progressively advanced features until various parts of it have been sequentially mastered, would go a long ways in generating more capable operators. The more advanced the aircraft the more complex they are, and because we have flown one brand does not automatically establish we are competition to fly another. In commercial full scale operations they have a thing called "differences training" that is used when transitioning from one aircraft to another, even if they came from the same manufacturer. That training eliminates or significantly reduces incidents experienced by operators/pilots new to the aircraft model. It would work for us as well. We are not flying "grab and go" aircraft. They require some level of understanding before launching into the wild blue yonder.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
I have yet to see a "bad" firmware version in the H and I've had every one since the H was first released. I have read of a great many firmware updates that went bad because they were improperly installed though.

@PatR

Not to take away anything from this discussion (it's been a great read) but I was watching videos from Jeff Sibelius where he actually mentioned a firmware update that actually was a problem.. I'd appreciate your perspectives on that.

The H will fly just fine out of the box with whatever firmware it was shipped with.

Honestly I wish I had read this statement before I flew my Yuneec the first time.. I had a Phantom 3 Advanced previously and I had all kinds of problems with my first flights with that one until after I had done the firmware update. So when I got the Typhoon I did the updates as part of my initial setup and configuration.

What charger/balancer would you recommend ? I guess it really makes sense to buy several batteries and get air time that way, fro what I understood so far , in my case the problems I had with the H had the battery low message in common. Does anyone know when the battery warnings come? At what voltage? I see that the ST16 will say descend to 200ft no matter what YOUR ACTUAL HEIGHT IS (in one case I was at around 6ft)

Just chiming in a bit here. I've done several tests on my H to see how low I can go on battery before it throws a warning sign and that's usually around 14.5 Volts. After that, it flashes a warning to drop altitude below a safe altitude so it can land safely before the battery dies. As an example, the drone will not land on its own if it's above the warning height. None the less, I agree, the end user should never wait to bring it back until its end of life on battery charge. Anything above the warning, it will drop out of the sky automatically. If you have $1,500 U.S dollars to blow, by all means enjoy the idea of taking the risk.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
@PatR

Not to take away anything from this discussion (it's been a great read) but I was watching videos from Jeff Sibelius where he actually mentioned a firmware update that actually was a problem.. I'd appreciate your perspectives on that.

Honestly I wish I had read this statement before I flew my Yuneec the first time.. I had a Phantom 3 Advanced previously and I had all kinds of problems with my first flights with that one until after I had done the firmware update. So when I got the Typhoon I did the updates as part of my initial setup and configuration.

Personally, I did not experience any of the "issues" mentioned with that firmware. I'm not going to say any more than that about the informational video, other than I recall the problem posts related to the firmware.

Just chiming in a bit here. I've done several tests on my H to see how low I can go on battery before it throws a warning sign and that's usually around 14.5 Volts. After that, it flashes a warning to drop altitude below a safe altitude so it can land safely before the battery dies. As an example, the drone will not land on its own if it's above the warning height. None the less, I agree, the end user should never wait to bring it back until its end of life on battery charge. Anything above the warning, it will drop out of the sky automatically. If you have $1,500 U.S dollars to blow, by all means enjoy the idea of taking the risk.

Hope this helps!
first warning comes at 14.3 volts for me. In the year I've been flying my H I've only ever reached that point on two or three occasions. I'm usually landed by around 14.5 volts.

When it comes to the batteries, I've always been a wussy... I have never concentrated
on number of minutes of flying time, only concerning myself with the voltages. Used to
start to land at about 14.8V... now I'll take it to 14.5V unless I'm further out. 'Tis why
I have 5 batteries, plus my dedicated (cals/GPS sats/FW update/camera settings) battery.

When it comes to the batteries, I've always been a wussy... I have never concentrated
on number of minutes of flying time, only concerning myself with the voltages. Used to
start to land at about 14.8V... now I'll take it to 14.5V unless I'm further out. 'Tis why
I have 5 batteries, plus my dedicated (cals/GPS sats/FW update/camera settings) battery.

You're not alone. I do exactly the same, however, I still aim to be landing once I see the 14.8v on my ST16. I have 8 genuine Yuneec LiPo's and every single one of them is still performing very well.

That is what I am doing now, flying and making sure by the time it reaches 14,5 I am close by and I land before it drops to 14,4.
So far no more incidents,,

You're not alone. I do exactly the same, however, I still aim to be landing once I see the 14.8v on my ST16. I have 8 genuine Yuneec LiPo's and every single one of them is still performing very well.

Only reason I've had to replace a couple of my OEM batteries was my own fault in delaying
my purchase of a 3rd party charger with a storage discharge mode. Kept the originals sitting
too long after charging on too many occasions. Ended up getting some puffing, so I decided
to retire them.

Lipos are funny beasts and very unstable in certain conditions. I have always followed the rule of getting the craft down before 20% hits. As soon as i fly anything new i also time it and use a cell checker after to get an idea of rough flight times as i work up the flight time against usage.

New batts should be used lightly for a few cycles to bed in. 50% Flights with low throttle input/ load is best. Drain them too low too often and at the least they loose their punch. Drain them heavy right from the go and they will also become a poorer performing battery. I have lots of very old cells i cant use for 3d stuff anymore as over the years they fluff slightly and loose power but ultimately they still work just fine if looked after. They will fly easy flights/ drones all day long still until they fade out all together.

I have never had one fail on me in 10 years of using them for heavy 3d aerobatics and it can get them boiling when your really going for it so i follow the rule of treating them with respect and you should be ok.

Finally smart batteries are crap and ultimately mean you rely on a cheap system built in to monitor them. Standard batts connected to your own known tested charger are far safer imho so i wouldnt knock them. Im having issues with a Dji battery at the moment and wish i could just plug it into my standard unit and balance it. Ultimately you are better knowing the limitations of lipos and monitoring them yourself than relying on build in gear.

Sorry to hear about your story as it seems a bit of hard luck either way.

The lesson i would draw from it is to always monitor batteries yourself and do not drain them too low. They do not like it at all.

Reactions: PatR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surmount13