Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Play Store

Reaction score
I just received my H a couple days ago and I noticed that the play store is loaded on the ST-16. Every time I try to open it the program crashes. Any idea why?

Play Store does the same thing for me, I guess they don't want us downloading anything from it.

This comes up fairly regularly. The common understanding is that some Google Play services are needed to run the standard Yuneec software, but the ST-16 is not a full licensed Android device (it costs a lot to do that), so the Play store itself is not functional.

So I will forget about the play store, but what about maps and other apps that are already installed? My guess is without an internet connection they are useless also?

I kind of look at downloading files from an unknown source to be much like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded weapon. I hope you have an outstanding anti virus and malware program installed on your ST-16, and don't allow it to link with your home router.

I kind of look at downloading files from an unknown source to be much like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded weapon. I hope you have an outstanding anti virus and malware program installed on your ST-16, and don't allow it to link with your home router.
I tend to agree with you, the last thing I need is a virus on a radio that is controlling a $1000+ copter. So if I don't use the play store is there any other way to install my other UAV programs like B4Ufly? I am guessing I will still need an internet connection in the field to run apps like Maps correct?

Therein lies the problem with systems based on SDK Apps. Although SDK Apps provide for greater diversity they are the least secure way to expand functionality. They are also a manufacturer admission of lacking the technology or imagination necessary to create new software. If the manufacturer is not the go to source for vetted and safe software we probably should not be putting ourselves at risk by using outside sources unless they are fully vetted and carry some sort of developer responsibility.

If when using an SDK something goes wrong, what was the cause? Was it the copter, flight controller, or the App? Who do you call to troubleshoot? The manufacturer has reason to deny responsibility and the App developer certainly won't pick up the tab, even if you can track down their location. It's the perfect non responsibility scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maps require an internet connection, though there is the option of caching them, which is what UAV Toolbox does.

I can't condemn anyone for installing apps on the ST-16 (as I sell one!), but the question really is, if you have to jump through hoops to make the Play Store work (which involves fiddling with services the main flight mode app uses), how certain are you that you've not introduced a conflict that might surface during flight? The main flight app has been tested quite thoroughly on the specific Android build that the ST-16 ships with. If you change that build to make the Play Store work, then you're flying on an untested system. Of course there's a certain amount of FUD (Fear, uncertainty, doubt) in that, but caution here seems reasonable.

As regards outside sources for software, I can't beat Yuneec up for not developing every last function that owners want - it's very clear that there is an absolutely vast range of uses for a drone, and it's just not commercially viable for a company to provide every last feature needed for those uses. The size of the team necessary to do that would be enormous - there are multi billion dollar internet companies that have smaller teams. Nor is it particularly healthy to only have one team developing everything. So a strong ecosystem is a good thing - it provides for niche uses, and different takes on the same idea as well as steady evolution of features.

That said, it makes sense to distinguish between safety critical software and support software. To date, I've deliberately avoided writing anything that provides real time control of the Typhoon because I can't guarantee that it would be safe in all circumstances. It may be that the SDK could provide a real time component that can be safely used alongside third party tools - in which case, I'd be more than happy to develop some interesting things.

It's worth remembering that GoPro will have tested the Karma quite thoroughly, and they still missed a critical safety flaw - so I'm not arrogant enough to think I can magically write flawless software without the support of a well tested core. That's where an SDK can really help.

Reactions: jngrally
This is why I mentioned SDK apps should be available through the manufacturer. They don't need to be the entity developing them but they certainly need to assure their own legal safety by vetting and endorsing safe and reliable apps.

The following was copied from the long list of DJI warranty disclaimers.

"× Failure of, or damage caused by, any third party products, including those that DJI may provide or integrate into the DJI product at your request."

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig