Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Simple VLOS solution

CraigCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Nothing like fluorescent paint for a good air visual. I took the back half of CGO camera and right land gear and painted bright red and the left landing gear yellow. When the sun bounces off the new paint it's like I have a giant red light in the sky from the back of the camera plus two colored wings with landing gear up for left / right orientation. Simple and low tech. I also added some leftover bright colored motor pod wraps from an old 350 skin with a red decal on to middle right and back right pods and white decals on middle left and back left pods.

My VLOS for height above me is much better and I highly recommend this lo tech mod for increased pilot confidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

nice one, my Autel XSP is bright international rescue orange. My H can be hard to spot sometimes, esp when the sun gets in yer eyes!

nice one, my Autel XSP is bright international rescue orange. My H can be hard to spot sometimes, esp when the sun gets in yer eyes!

It was on this forum somewhere in a thread I saw grey(duh) is the worse color. I'm tempted to paint the whole shell but this trick does give nice orientation for straight out horizontal runs as well and keeps most of the original look integrity.

Nothing like fluorescent paint for a good air visual. I took the back half of CGO camera and right land gear and painted bright red and the left landing gear yellow. When the sun bounces off the new paint it's like I have a giant red light in the sky from the back of the camera plus two colored wings with landing gear up for left / right orientation. Simple and low tech. I also added some leftover bright colored motor pod wraps from an old 350 skin with a red decal on to middle right and back right pods and white decals on middle left and back left pods.

My VLOS for height above me is much better and I highly recommend this lo tech mod for increased pilot confidence.

Neat idea. Kindly post us a pic if/when you can. Thanks.

Neat idea. Kindly post us a pic if/when you can. Thanks.

Here you go.
4691513237fc27e108eb4266695ad06a.jpg

wow looks great!

It was a weekend so I got hardware store paint and it took a lot of coats to get it bright. In hindsight, I should have primed them white first and used more of a hobby paint. The good news is I could easily remove and clean the legs and redo and I have another camera shell so I may try again down the road once these get beat up. Suffice to say it totally works when it's in sunlight.

Will be doing that immediately... as a new pilot, this mod will also give me additional indication of the aircraft orientation.
great-news.gif

p

pics?

It was a weekend so I got hardware store paint and it took a lot of coats to get it bright. In hindsight, I should have primed them white first and used more of a hobby paint. The good news is I could easily remove and clean the legs and redo and I have another camera shell so I may try again down the road once these get beat up. Suffice to say it totally works when it's in sunlight.

Very impressive, CC. As you were describing it, I got a picture in my mind of that baby in the sunlight. Hey THANKS!

Very impressive, CC. As you were describing it, I got a picture in my mind of that baby in the sunlight. Hey THANKS!

I have an extra camera housing and may try an even brighter color on that one. It's nice with only the back half colored and now I'm doing all kinds of sideways twisting shots with much more confidence. It's also helped me get the green arrow better as it's easier t observe real movement vs the lag on the screen. Basically when in doubt just push the right stick to whatever direction the arrow is pointing and in no time your are back over yourself. I hope to have my raid array this week and get to editing before the year ends as I've got a lot of great footage to put together of some really weird stuff out here on the desert. It's a joy to become more of a photographer and less of a pilot as I get more comfortable with all that can be done wit this rig.

Wanted to follow-up on this with a couple of quick pics... my apologies for the crappy resolution,
but that is why I never use my phone camera... literally my best resolution digital camera is the CGO3+
... tis why I am so focused on getting a tablet to work with the ActionGrip.

modified_Typhoon-H_1.jpg modified_Typhoon-H_2.jpg modified_Typhoon-H_3.jpg

Didn't have the cujones to f with the camera shell, but I now have bright green battery covers... :)

Reactions: Jester and JKru
It was on this forum somewhere in a thread I saw grey(duh) is the worse color. I'm tempted to paint the whole shell but this trick does give nice orientation for straight out horizontal runs as well and keeps most of the original look integrity.

The military paints all their UAV's and manned aircraft grey for a reason. It's hard to see.

Wanted to follow-up on this with a couple of quick pics... my apologies for the crappy resolution,
but that is why I never use my phone camera... literally my best resolution digital camera is the CGO3+

View attachment 4469 View attachment 4470 View attachment 4471

Didn't have the cujones to f with the camera shell, but I now have bright green battery covers... :)

What did you use on the batteries?... I like that addition.

Same as you did, with a hardware store fluorescent paint... though I did use a Rustoleum primer first
that specifically stated that it binds well to plastic. Also used a few coats of a clear cover coat on top of
all colors.

Last edited:
Same as you did, with a hardware store fluorescent paint... though I did use a Rustoleum primer first
that specifically stated that it binds well to plastic. Also used a few coats of a clear cover coat on top of
all colors.

I should have done that... I was impatient. I'm going to order spare skids and try again once these get more beat up. Really helps though in my opinion.

View attachment 4469 View attachment 4470 View attachment 4471

Nice!!! what is that your using on the back light? if i have that I would be fine.

You mean the rear LED? Just the standard status LED on the H... or are you referring to something else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextsi